Seriously?

Just picking my trailer up off a bay at the yard, young lad, not long passed his test, drops a trailer on a bay next but one to me. With the suspension all the way up on his unit.

Told him what he was about to do, just got a shrug and a “so what?” Couldn’t grasp the idea of the next driver might miss the pin…

There all the same them young drivers, bloody useless at the job try and tell them something and they throw it back in your face…

He’ll learn one day when he smacks his rear light clusters on the landing legs. :grimacing:

Am a young driver and passed my class one last June and am not useless and I take on board what the older drivers tell me and learn from it. So you started your career ■■■■ hot did you? Even when you have been driving for years your still always learning, it’s good people still give us young drivers a chance.

Some good, some bad, some younger, some older…a very mixed bag!!!

Didn’t have air suspension when I started :open_mouth: & power steering was a novelty :smiley: but hey I learn something everyday from old & young alike. :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

ste_leeson:
Am a young driver and passed my class one last June and am not useless and I take on board what the older drivers tell me and learn from it. So you started your career [zb] hot did you? Even when you have been driving for years your still always learning, it’s good people still give us young drivers a chance.

He wasn’t referring to you personally just some arrogant ■■■■ with a poor attitude. But he’ll learn, the hard way!

Every day is a school day :wink:

Yes I agree with that just doesn’t head in how young lads all get painted the same colour and it’s not true.

I think the OPs point is less about the fact the guy was young, or that he made a mistake. It’s more about the attitude displayed by the guy.

I’m still new myself and will always listen to any advice given by another driver. Whether I then choose to follow it depends on the situation, but Ill at least be respectful to the guy giving It. We can see on these boards the type of reaction you can get if you ask for advice, if someone’s prepared to offer some then good times.

Regarding the age/experience thing, I think that’s irrelevant when it comes to being pig headed or an idiot in general. Granted when you start out you’re more likely to make mistakes, hopefully not to costly ones, the important thing is you learn from them. We’ve had a few dropped trailers in our yard and most of them have been guys with years of experience, goes to show no matter how long you’ve done it or how good you think you are, we’re all human and can all muck up from time to time.

Saaamon:
There all the same them young drivers, bloody useless at the job try and tell them something and they throw it back in your face…

Being old doesn’t necessarily make you right

Do old drivers actually get out of the cab and make sure they are not going to miss the pin like us young uns or do they save themselves some energy and reverse back until there tea spills?

lankyphil:
Just picking my trailer up off a bay at the yard, young lad, not long passed his test, drops a trailer on a bay next but one to me. With the suspension all the way up on his unit.

Told him what he was about to do, just got a shrug and a “so what?” Couldn’t grasp the idea of the next driver might miss the pin…

You did the right thing by explaining the situation and the outcome of such behavior, lots of drivers don’t go out of there way to explain to the inexperienced amongst us the dangers of such behavior the next step would be to speak to a manager to sort the individual out before any harm is done.

A lot of problems are caused by the lack of training for new drivers, millions of pounds worth of damage in the industry could be prevented by proper training which would pay for itself, then on the other hand you will always have drivers regardless of experience just don’t have the aptitude for the job be they young or old agency or whatever.

bubsy06:
Do old drivers actually get out of the cab and make sure they are not going to miss the pin like us young uns or do they save themselves some energy and reverse back until there tea spills?

I’ll bet a fiver not one in ten does…and I’ll bet they don’t go under the trailer to check it’s caught the pin properly…'cos they’ve been at it years…how could it go wrong? :question:

It rarely does, but a too casual attitude will come unstuck in the end - whatever the age or experience of the driver.

claretmatt:

Saaamon:

Being old doesn’t necessarily make you right

Do you actually know how old Saaamon is? If you look to your right you’ll see he’s the kid making the Wooooooooosh noises! :smiley:

bubsy06:

I can’t speak for other old drivers but I certainly don’t and have no intention of starting now :laughing:

The reason I don’t get out and check is not because I’m too lazy, and it is not because I don’t care, I don’t get out and check because it’s a totally pointless exercise as you will realise in due course :smiley:

Seriously, if you reverse until the 5th wheel is under the trailer but hasn’t yet reached the pin, then raise the unit suspension until the trailer legs are off the ground, how are you going to miss the pin.

Oh, and I don’t spill my tea either :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

tachograph:

bubsy06:

I can’t speak for other old drivers but I certainly don’t and have no intention of starting now :laughing:

The reason I don’t get out and check is not because I’m too lazy, and it is not because I don’t care, I don’t get out and check because it’s a totally pointless exercise as you will realise in due course :smiley:

Seriously, if you reverse until the 5th wheel is under the trailer but hasn’t yet reached the pin, then raise the unit suspension until the trailer legs are off the ground, how are you going to miss the pin.

U can see the legs from your driving seat?? X-men look out.

lankyphil:

As has already been said you did the right thing in trying to put the young bloke right, some will listen and some won’t, that’s life I’m afraid :wink:

Worse was my stepdads old place, used to have one Euro spec unit (Little wheels, lower 5th wheel) and the driver had a tendancy to drop trailers with the suspension so slow you couldn’t get a standard unit anywhere near it. So one week they all ganged up on him and left them as high as the Volvo FHs would allow, he spent ages winding legs down and never did it again :laughing:

bubsy06:

tachograph:

bubsy06:

U can see the legs from your driving seat?? X-men look out.

you don’t need to see them, think about it… :smiley: