Seriously?

bubsy06:

tachograph:

bubsy06:
Do old drivers actually get out of the cab and make sure they are not going to miss the pin like us young uns or do they save themselves some energy and reverse back until there tea spills?

I can’t speak for other old drivers but I certainly don’t and have no intention of starting now :laughing:

The reason I don’t get out and check is not because I’m too lazy, and it is not because I don’t care, I don’t get out and check because it’s a totally pointless exercise as you will realise in due course :smiley:

Seriously, if you reverse until the 5th wheel is under the trailer but hasn’t yet reached the pin, then raise the unit suspension until the trailer legs are off the ground, how are you going to miss the pin.

Oh, and I don’t spill my tea either :stuck_out_tongue: :wink:

U can see the legs from your driving seat?? X-men look out.

You can certainly see the trailer rise so will know the legs are off the ground, though myself I always put my head out the window.

But hey, if you think your way is best keep wasting your time, ignore the fact that you’re probably dragging trailer legs across the yard when you’re not perfectly in-line with the pin.

Luckily many young drivers have enough common sense to look listen and learn :wink:

the maoster:

claretmatt:

Saaamon:
There all the same them young drivers, bloody useless at the job try and tell them something and they throw it back in your face…

Being old doesn’t necessarily make you right

Do you actually know how old Saaamon is? If you look to your right you’ll see he’s the kid making the Wooooooooosh noises! :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing:

tachograph:

bubsy06:

tachograph:

bubsy06:
Do old drivers actually get out of the cab and make sure they are not going to miss the pin like us young uns or do they save themselves some energy and reverse back until there tea spills?

I can’t speak for other old drivers but I certainly don’t and have no intention of starting now :laughing:

The reason I don’t get out and check is not because I’m too lazy, and it is not because I don’t care, I don’t get out and check because it’s a totally pointless exercise as you will realise in due course :smiley:

Seriously, if you reverse until the 5th wheel is under the trailer but hasn’t yet reached the pin, then raise the unit suspension until the trailer legs are off the ground, how are you going to miss the pin.

You can certainly see the trailer rise so will know the legs are off the ground, though myself I always put my head out the window.

But hey, if you think your way is best keep wasting your time, ignore the fact that you’re probably dragging trailer legs across the yard when you’re not perfectly in-line with the pin.

Luckily many young drivers have enough common sense to look listen and learn :wink:

Not much grease on your 5th wheel im guessing

bubsy06:

Yes

I dont get out and check, i can see when the trailer is lifting off the ground so know im not going to miss it…

It’s quite simple but some drivers just can’t drop or hook up a trailer properly, whether they have been doing it 30 years or 1 week.

bubsy06:
Not much grease on your 5th wheel im guessing

:laughing:

Plenty of grease on the 5th wheel and there’s no risk of under shooting the pin.

FarnboroughBoy11:
It’s quite simple but some drivers just can’t drop or hook up a trailer properly, whether they have been doing it 30 years or 1 week.

To be honest I’m not sure if it’s because they can’t or won’t, the number of drivers I’ve seen just slam a unit under a trailer beggars belief, I sometimes wonder how the pin stands the battering :frowning:

The only time I ever get out to check pin position is if for some strange reason I have to hook up from 90 degrees. As for the rest of the time it aint rocket science guys, just back up slightly short of the trailer, you can then judge if it’s too high, too low or just right, use your air to adjust 5th wheel height if needed, go slightly under, lift it right up and engage the pin. Simples, no leg damage and a satisfying “clunk” as the pin engages.

If you wanna keep jumping in and out of the cab to satisfy yourself, then crack on fellas, it ISN’T necessary, but then again neither is experience. :wink:

Sorry if this is a bit off topic but here’s a thread that might interest some people here :wink:

bubsy06:

tachograph:

bubsy06:

Yes he can see the legs from his drivers seat as he moves along the row looking for his particular trailer, as he see’s his trailer an instinctive mental check takes place, which will include the depth of the legs under the trailer, the height of the trailer in relation to the unit he is driving, and as to wether the trailer is standing level or not amongst other things. Then he will steer his unit to position to reverse under the trailer, and as he reverses under his trailer he may even lower his suspension as it goes under the rubbing plate, and then raise it for the final lock on. all this will take place in one seemless motion, but he’s still done it.

Truckulent:
I’ll bet a fiver not one in ten does…and I’ll bet they don’t go under the trailer to check it’s caught the pin properly…'cos they’ve been at it years…how could it go wrong? :question:

No not one in ten will go under the trailer to check the pin has caught properly, because when we were taught, we were told to do a tug/pull away test and yes I still do, oh and I look underneath to check the pin aswell. :unamused:

I havent read all this thread so if i’ve duplicated what any other post has said, i apoligise, but unlike when hooking up a trailer, i dont check everything when posting :wink:

And none of the above is to say that experienced driver are better than novices, the clue is in the word, experience or novice. We all start somewwhere and gradualy become experienced, but along the way those with sence listen and learn, those without drop trailer bloody high and ignore those trying to offer timemly advice :wink:

ste_leeson:
Am a young driver and passed my class one last June and am not useless and I take on board what the older drivers tell me and learn from it. So you started your career [zb] hot did you? Even when you have been driving for years your still always learning, it’s good people still give us young drivers a chance.

No, I started my C+E career 15 months ago and as green as a green thing that was dipped in green paint. And I still think I am.

lankyphil:
Told him what he was about to do, just got a shrug and a “so what?” Couldn’t grasp the idea of the next driver might miss the pin…

That was the point I was making. After explaining to him that the next driver might just ram straight back onto the trailer without lifting it (like we are all supposed to do, company policy) and having a nice imprint of the fridge motor in the back of the cab.

However, with attitudes like his, it’s not surprising that we find it difficult to get a start (I’m 25, started driving at 24, under the so called insurance age limit and no experience either so I do know people are giving us a chance thank you).

Personally, when I started I tried to absorb every little thing other drivers told me. Even if it was tiny little things, they might have a good reason for it doing it and that might save my ■■■ one day.

As an aside, I personally, back under with my suspension lowered (no scraping grease on the headboard), put suspension all the way up so that I lift the legs off the ground, then back slowly onto the pin so I hear the double clunk as the bars go across.

Are you saying the company you work for tell you not to use the suspension to hook up and instead to just ram tractors unit into trailers in the hope they’ll have been dropped at the same height as you 5th wheel?

Lets be honest age and experience is quite immaterial here, some licence holders will never be lorry drivers as long as they have a hole in their arse.

At one hub in Northampton early one morning when i was an agency scumbag i witnessed the antics of one full timer picking up a trailer.

Now it should be said that company policy at the depot is that empty trailers being dropped on return have the legs would down to the ground fully…well actually that may not be policy as such shall we say established practice instead.

Now this policy is fine except that such system means the 5th wheel doesn’t tilt back when the trailer is dropped.

Theres a few bays there that are slightly uphill when the shunter drops trailers after loading.

So, there i am thismorning, i’ve already hooked up. Other driver backs up to trailer, bang another go bang and another bang this continues as i’m doing my checks.
After several more bangs as the 5th wheel is hitting the front of the trailer and trying to climb up the front wall i eventually stop this driver…who is long term there…and explain to them that they are hitting the front of the trailer and thats all they will do until they either lower the unit to slide underneath or riase the trailer.
I’m looked at like an alien.
Anyway eventually they twig, lower suspension and pick up the trailer.

Later in the day i’m looking at the other trailers when i return, yes almost every one has numerous shrapnel battering marks wher the 5th wheels have hit the fronts.

As said i was an agency scumbag so sod all to do with me how they ■■■■ the job up.

Anyway, yes i invariably line up and get out and have a quick look see how i’m fixed before reversing under, also have a quick nose to see how far or close the trailer king pin is gives me an idea how far i’m going under before raising the suspension…don’t want all that grease on my catwalk…and i always but always open the drivers door and lean out to reverse on my own side anyway, doing so means you can just about see the edge of the 5th wheel and makes the job as accurate and safe as possible, tanks can be awkward to line up on and king pin distances vary.

Saaamon:
Are you saying the company you work for tell you not to use the suspension to hook up and instead to just ram tractors unit into trailers in the hope they’ll have been dropped at the same height as you 5th wheel?

You need to read his post mate, you’re normaly quite switched on :open_mouth:

lankyphil:
That was the point I was making. After explaining to him that the next driver might just ram straight back onto the trailer without lifting it (like we are all supposed to do, company policy) and having a nice imprint of the fridge motor in the back of the cab.

lankyphil:
No, I started my C+E career 15 months ago and as green as a green thing that was dipped in green paint. And I still think I am.

You sound like you’ll be a quick learner with a decent attitude like that :wink:

lankyphil:
However, with attitudes like his, it’s not surprising that we find it difficult to get a start (I’m 25, started driving at 24, under the so called insurance age limit and no experience either so I do know people are giving us a chance thank you).

Personally, when I started I tried to absorb every little thing other drivers told me. Even if it was tiny little things, they might have a good reason for it doing it and that might save my ■■■ one day.

There in lies the polar opposits that you will come up against in this job for however long you do it, that other bloke will never be a driver and will be constantly getting into scrapes, and moaning and complaining, a right pain to be around, no matter how old :unamused:

And I reckon you do just fine, and I was in your place 25 years ago, but you learn everyday :wink:

eddie snax:

Saaamon:

lankyphil:

to be fair i read it how you read it, then after saaamon’s post re-read it and you could take it either way

eddie snax:

bubsy06:

tachograph:

bubsy06:

Yes he can see the legs from his drivers seat as he moves along the row looking for his particular trailer, as he see’s his trailer an instinctive mental check takes place, which will include the depth of the legs under the trailer, the height of the trailer in relation to the unit he is driving, and as to wether the trailer is standing level or not amongst other things. Then he will steer his unit to position to reverse under the trailer, and as he reverses under his trailer he may even lower his suspension as it goes under the rubbing plate, and then raise it for the final lock on. all this will take place in one seemless motion, but he’s still done it.

Truckulent:
I’ll bet a fiver not one in ten does…and I’ll bet they don’t go under the trailer to check it’s caught the pin properly…'cos they’ve been at it years…how could it go wrong? :question:

No not one in ten will go under the trailer to check the pin has caught properly, because when we were taught, we were told to do a tug/pull away test and yes I still do, oh and I look underneath to check the pin aswell. :unamused:

I havent read all this thread so if i’ve duplicated what any other post has said, i apoligise, but unlike when hooking up a trailer, i dont check everything when posting :wink:

And none of the above is to say that experienced driver are better than novices, the clue is in the word, experience or novice. We all start somewwhere and gradualy become experienced, but along the way those with sence listen and learn, those without drop trailer bloody high and ignore those trying to offer timemly advice :wink:

:laughing:

So you do check then■■? If you’re going to get out and look anyway, why not do it properly?

(and yes, I do a tug test too - but I check visually as well because a ‘successful’ tug test is not necessarily evidence the pin has been caught correctly)

stevieboy308:

eddie snax:

Saaamon:

lankyphil:

to be fair i read it how you read it, then after saaamon’s post re-read it and you could take it either way

Yes i think it can be read both ways although i should of known what he ment really…

I was trying not to jump on the agency driver bandwagon by using the cliche of the “agency driver that doesn’t care/know any better” and not using suspension to lift trailer or checking pin heights etc (because I have seen SOME do it that way, but not all do).

No we’re not taught to do it that way mate, we’re told to do the whole “drop suspension on way in and pick trailer all the way up etc”

It appears that there’s a good reason I’m a truck driver not an English teacher then :slight_smile:

I watched a driver at an RDC drop a trailer recently. He reversed into a parking space next to me on the trailer park to wait wait for his bay. As he stopped, he raised his suspension right to the top then switched his engine off. He then proceeded to drop the trailer. I thought to myself, when he picks that back up, how is he going to do the tug test without dragging the legs across the floor. I’ve picked trailers up myself in similar circumstances. I just don’t get it. This wasn’t a noob or a foreigner either. Was an oldish British guy in a Scania V8.

And last week I saw a fruit bowl do something odd. He raised his suspension right to the top before backing under the trailer. Is he so lazy that he can’t lower, back under a bit, raise then engage. Or are they genuinely clueless ?

Terry T:
Or are they genuinely clueless ?

This ^ ^ ^ ^