Seriously skilled A-frame reverse

I was just browsing youtube and came across this video.

It was worth viewing as the skill of the driver concerned is something most drivers can only dream of…

youtube.com/watch?v=yCgROzot118

It’s got to the stage now, for me, where I wish this had never been filmed.

yawn :unamused:

this has been posted on her at least a dozen times before

but, you win a prize because it is the first time in the last 12 months :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

im not going to click the link, but i reckon its the A frame drawbar in the forest doing a u-turn going by the comments?

Ok guys point made, the op hasn’t seen this before and it is a good bit of driving :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

kindle530:
im not going to click the link, but i reckon its the A frame drawbar in the forest doing a u-turn going by the comments?

I did click on it and watched the first two seconds but I knew it was going to be that one before I did. :wink:

Harry Monk:

kindle530:

I did click on it and watched the first two seconds but I knew it was going to be that one before I did. :wink:

I’m glad someone else is taking up the slack starring in Youtube videos featuring lorries. I’m fed up with it just being me every time I’m on for Royal Mail.

Not really that skilled, I will bet you a tenner he would fail at Salisbury Metro.

I like this one, especially the bit when he lies on the floor to think of an excuse can’t think of one and continues the chase. youtu.be/__knUpqldFM

shuttlespanker:
yawn :unamused:

this has been posted on her at least a dozen times before

but, you win a prize because it is the first time in the last 12 months :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Sorry but I posted it earler. Post 14
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=88630

mike68:
Not really that skilled, I will bet you a tenner he would fail at Salisbury Metro.

I like this one, especially the bit when he lies on the floor to think of an excuse can’t think of one and continues the chase. youtu.be/__knUpqldFM

Lol at the video, and have to agree regards the “not really that skilled” comment, he did nothing other than what a rigid driver would have done, the flexibility of the trailer did all the real work :wink:

Looks like a quick & easy way to die if you fell straight off that cliff…

Darb:
he did nothing other than what a rigid driver would have done, the flexibility of the trailer did all the real work :wink:

Er, no…

Take it you’ve never driven an A frame, bonny lad?

Darb:

mike68:

Lol at the video, and have to agree regards the “not really that skilled” comment, he did nothing other than what a rigid driver would have done, the flexibility of the trailer did all the real work :wink:

I am willing to wager that there’s not that many of us that could have done that! That comes with a lot of experience with A frames, and I have none!

I have also never seen this before great bit of driving. There will always be one on here who could do it blindfolded with no hands. Nive work ip!

The best lorry driver I ever saw reverse A frame trailers was the night shunter at the Ipec ICD at Northampton. He was only a young chap, he had an old unit for artic trailers but used an old LHD 6x2 DAF 2800 lorry to put drop bodies & A frame drags on the loading dock & it was always a pleasure to watch him work.

Another from years before the above was a man driving a Leyland 8 wheeler and drag cattle truck. I watched him put his trailer on the loading ramps several times. He too was good but not a patch on the young lad who was night shunter at Ipec.

BB

The thing is in this situation, he’s obviously done it before many times, hence the camera being there ready.
I’m not saying its not skilled but the really good reverses and manoeuvres are the ones that you have never done before and you can foresee what you’ve got to do to get it done and when and if you succeed then they are the best ones.
No matter how tight a yard is or how narrow a space you have then as soon as you’ve done it once then you know EXACTLY what you have to do to do it again.
Great bit of driving but not as impressive as when he done it for the first time haha

Yes that video has been on here a few times :wink:.

Just a thought though. I take it that you cannot get an A frame stuck by overdoing the lock.

can’t see anything too skilled about it. he’s just doing his job but quite badly to be honest.
whenever he turned the wheel he dry steered.

That’s nothing. Check out the skill in this one.

youtube.com/watch?v=Jmkk-j-R2UE

The A frame outfit I drove had tipper bodies and it was possible to reverse the lorry alongside the trailer and get the 2 bodies locked together corner to corner :open_mouth: I only managed that once !
So there are limits to how much they will fold up but having driven one for years i would say there was no luck to this reverse just a lot of experience, making it look easy.
My boss once tried reversing mine when I had a day off (he failed :laughing: ) but fair play he gave me a pay rise and said he didn’t realise how difficult it was .