September 10th

So, am 3 modules through my DCPC with 2 more this weekend (only £44 each).
Last week the instructor said that out of 1.5 million registered LGV licence holders in the UK only 1 million had to date embarked on their DCPC leaving a shortfall come September 10th of 500,000 drivers in the UK.

Does anybody on here know anything that bears this to be correct?
If it is the case, the country will come to a standstill within a fortnight surely?
1/3 of supermarket deliveries not made, 1/3 of stock not being delivered to manufacturers, 1/3 less biomass getting to power stations, 1/3 less fuel to the petrol stations etc.

Surely this can’t be correct can it? There would be uproar if it were even slightly likely to occur :bulb:

There’s obviously thousands of drivers who have licenses but for one reason or another do not drive anymore so they’ll have no cpc thus adding them to the statistic.

bald bloke:
There’s obviously thousands of drivers who have licenses but for one reason or another do not drive anymore so they’ll have no cpc thus adding them to the statistic.

I agree for those under the age of 45, but for those older, who don’t keep up their entitlement by having a medical periodically, will be removed from the statistics as their entitlement expires, so I don’t reckon that criterion would make up very much of the 500000 tbh.

I’ve heard everywhere from 28,000 drivers short and upwards.
As a newly qualified driver, I’m thinking about being available to my agency for a couple of weeks in the middle of september. Think I might be busy…

J_K:
I’ve heard everywhere from 28,000 drivers short and upwards.
As a newly qualified driver, I’m thinking about being available to my agency for a couple of weeks in the middle of september. Think I might be busy…

Prestige in Hull are already screaming out for drivers offering enhanced rates and lump sum payments. They have left doing anything about DCPC until the last minute and are now arranging as many courses as possible to get the guys through.

Problems are compounded when they have been telling drivers that courses are cancelled in order to get them out doing shifts because they are so busy with bookings. A real chicken and egg situation whereby If they don’t service the clients they lose work but if they don’t train the drivers they cant service the clients.

They really should have been more proactive a couple of years ago. Oh well!!

I have just recently joined this site so i don’t know if this topic has been covered already. A few mates of mine who are fellow drivers are convinced that come September a lot of drivers wont have taken the DCPC&there will then be a glut of jobs to choose from&you will be able to name your price. What do you forum members think ?

TBH, I have no idea of what will actually happen. Or whether the figures are anywhere near accurate.
But I’ve wanted to drive class1 for years. It’s an achievement, in my eyes, that I passed the tests and I’m licensed to drive the biggest things on UK roads.
I’m not currently in the industry and just trying to pick up weekend work to get some experience as my circumstances might be changing soon.
I certainly hope that if there is a driver shortage, it improves the average drivers wages and conditions.

Coz if I leave where I am now, I need to earn £31,000 :slight_smile:
And the least amount of work I can do for that money, the better.

alf1956:
A few mates of mine who are fellow drivers are convinced that come September a lot of drivers wont have taken the DCPC&there will then be a glut of jobs to choose from & you will be able to name your price. What do you forum members think ?

I’ve heard that from a few trainers and companys being an agency driver. But as fas as im concerned they can kiss my rear end till the sun don’t shine as I wont be taking ANY cpc modules for no amount of money. A company could offer me £1k a day and I still wouldn’t drive!!

I personally hope that this country grinds to a halt come the 10th of September, with either Vosa on patrol cracking down on EU / UK drivers, Famers not having CPC, tankers not getting enough fuel out to forecoruts. RDC’s not being able to get food out the thousands of supermarkets / shops around etc etc…

Around the Northampton area, agencys are offering cpc for £25 - £45 per module.

Don’t get over excited there’s plenty of HGV Licences holders that don’t need CPC or intend to get one. Private goods, not main part of work (Scaffolders ect) and some farm workers need HGV to drive self propelled machines (Sprayer / Combines) but all don’t need a CPC. Then theirs the People with a Licences that don’t use it!

I think the increase in work out there is due to the economy recovering? A small wage increase maybe I got 2.5% this year which is OK, but won’t be getting rich on it!

coreysboys:
Last week the instructor said that out of 1.5 million registered LGV licence holders in the UK only 1 million had to date embarked on their DCPC leaving a shortfall come September 10th of 500,000 drivers in the UK.

How many registered licence holders which include all those with pre 1997 C1s have nothing to do with the driving industry?

The answer is probably 500,000

The real question is - how many of those who need dcpc will not have completed on time?

I do see a shotage about to strike

There are many hauliers in this area that are now looking for hgv drivers and someone I know who works for an agency on the office staff side, tells me their driving division cannot get enough drivers to cover incoming contracts.

Quite how all this relates to numbers is anyone’s guess, as you also have people like myself who have taken the dcpc and have a digi card but still don’t drive commercially, so any figures out there are only going to be a ‘guesstimate’. There is no doubt that many drivers will not be taking the dcpc though and using it as a handy excuse to leave the industry.

I’m one of the 500.000. Got the licence and not doing CPC and I personally know at least 10 other C+E or C licence holders who aren’t doing the CPC either because they don’t need it for the work they do or are not using the licence but still keep the entitlement.

My C+E entitlement is valid until 2019 so it will be a while until I drop off the list.

You will only need the DCPC card when someone asks for it…if Government finds a driver
shortage is having an adverse effect on the UK I expect it will never be asked for.

Armagedon:
You will only need the DCPC card when someone asks for it…if Government finds a driver
shortage is having an adverse effect on the UK I expect it will never be asked for.

On the other hand they may see it as a good chance to generate some easy income via fines & check anyone & everyone who goes near a truck’s steering wheel!!! And pass the fine onto non-compliant Operators also!!! We’ll just have to wait (not for long now) and see…There maybe trouble ahead!!!

coreysboys:
‘… Does anybody on here know anything that bears this to be correct …?’

I’m wondering how long after 10 September there will be a Cabinet Cobra meeting to wake-up our lickspittle Europhiles in Whitehall to this Brussels inspired farce :unamused:

Any doubts about DCPC exemptions Google dcpc exemptions,you can find just about all types of driving jobs that a DCPC is required

This morning got a text 10.50 per hour days. That’s a lot better than the 8.59 that was the norm… Ask now for Sunday rate on week days.

Supply and demand works both ways does it not. Agency needs drivers and we are in demand

■■■■■■00:
This morning got a text 10.50 per hour days. That’s a lot better than the 8.59 that was the norm… Ask now for Sunday rate on week days.

Supply and demand works both ways does it not. Agency needs drivers and we are in demand

Hopefully rates will continue to rise & rise!!! Bring it on!!!

Someone I know actually quit his settled job driving for a well-known builders merchant & started with a new firm…old firm constantly pestered him for two days to come back with enhanced Terms & Conditions, so he went back to original job - good pay rise (salary) & no more Saturday mornings!!! Result…it IS happening, slowly - maybe it will improve■■?

I understand plod/vosa are planning a huge blitz on drivers from the yards they think might be running drivers “without a dcpc” after the deadline…

After all, if an employer is NOT prepared to pay more (ie the new going rate) and is NOT prepared to put the drivers through DCPC themselves at their own expense - then the only other option is to “attempt to circumvent the law, and just hope you get away with it”…

As far as I know, the ‘O’ licence is at risk from this kind of daft play by yard bosses… :confused:

Interestingly enough - if a few cowboys get closed down over all this dcpc lark - all the work they used to handle - will go to their competitors - who’ll in turn take on more drivers, and will have to over-bid to get them as well… Rewards in-waiting for those who play it straight - starting with Agency drivers with full blue card on 9/11 - our day ‘the world changed’ if you like… :bulb:

Que: The Fonz music…

(I can’t bring myself to say that other ghastly expression otherwise…)