Separation.....

To be honest, its been on the cards for a while, but my wife and I are at this stage, and I was wondering that anyone who had been through this coped■■?

Keep talking to people. If you keep insulated and isolated…You’ll crack up.

Think of it like dropping a trailer. You wind your legs down, pull your pin out then bobtail off into the sunset. And don’t forget to collect your number plate.

For slightly more useful help, if you have kids remember how hard it can be on them, especially if the break up is on less than Amicable terms. My parents split when I was 11, really hard but helped a lot that they can still be in the same room without being at each others throats. If it is for the best, it will feel it, even if not at first.

Depends what you want yourself, I left my first wife (no kids involved) and it was the best thing I ever did just wish I’d never married her in the first place, but I was very much for the separation. Good luck anyway

You cope, eventually and with great difficulty.

No one can really advise you, there are no two sets of circumstances, indeed no two people on the planet, who are the same or have/had your unique relationship.

Think long and hard what you want from life, do not rush into another relationship, take time out to lick your wounds.
When you’ve had some time, and i mean 6 months at the very least and possibly far longer, to heal, then look hard at yourself and if you see things you don’t like try to fix them, avoid being bitter towards your ex, that road leads nowhere useful.
Get yourself in shape if you’ve become unfit, try different hobbies, try different types people in your life.

If you have children i hope you can both keep a good open easy relationship with them, no good ever comes from children being used as a weapon or bargaining tool by either parent, i’ve seen that happen and its horrible.

Best of luck for the future.

My Wife left me with 2 kids age 6 and 3 to bring up, hard at first but soon settled in, very happy now married to a lovely Canadian woman. Best advice would be do not hit the bottle and don’t argue in front of the children.

As others have said, hopefully there’s no kids involved.

Maybe you just need a break, not a major problem, maybe it’s permanent, in which case, as others have said, don’t sod off to the pub everyday - there’s nobody worth meeting there, go the gym, and get some hobbies, you’ll be suprised what hobbies girls do these days - not fishing though :laughing:

If you’ve been together a long time, it is going to be HARD. Girls are like jobs, it’s always easier to find another when you’ve already got one.

it might be a bit late, but the best thing i did was take my missus with me.
they make sure your personal hygiene is up to scratch, clean the cab, and other nice things.
you must have got on at some stage in your relationship, the flame just needs a bit of octane boost.

“Girls are like jobs, it’s always easier to find another when you’ve already got one”
Excellent! :smiley:

I left my x just over 20 years ago with 2 young kids ( 4 & 3 ) was hard at first but soon sorted out we never argued in-front of kids or talked about the divorce

We still talk sometimes to each other in fact I called him earlier in week I also keep in contact with his family so we still kept a very good relationship which helped a lot

He has in fact slept at my house ( I wasnt here at time but son was they had been to Wembley to watch the American Football )

Good luck with it if you do have kids try to keep a good relationship fro them as remember they are humans

dew:
Think of it like dropping a trailer. You wind your legs down, pull your pin out then bobtail off into the sunset. And don’t forget to collect your number plate

:slight_smile:
Been there - done this. All job related - wasn’t fun but you move on. Good advice about keeping away from the sauce! Good luck mate.

Cheers guys, I knew some cracking sound advice would arrive. Fortunately no kids involved…well not if you count my Sindy doll collection!! (joke). And alas although Iv thought about starting, I dont drink, so thereare no worries, of applying to be a Red Russet driver…

lightning:
I dont drink…

Why ever not ?

sod trial seperation and all that ■■■■■■■■
try a trial “being together”
even if you now live apart

and show her these posts

It happened to me about five years ago, the classic story, she met a bloke, fell in love with him, it split my family up and then as soon as it had, he dumped her. She’d give anything to turn the clock back.

It seems that a woman gets to 40 and then a little bell goes off in her head and she has to leave her husband, the exact same thing happened in my brother’s marriage and my sister’s.

It is difficult to deal with at the time, but you do move on. My current girlfriend is stunningly beautiful and my ex could perhaps not exactly be described as conforming to classical standards of beauty. Even better, they are work colleagues, my current girlf is very popular and my ex is generally disliked and so I think people don’t miss a chance to tell my ex how happy my girlf is. :smiley:

You’ll never completely get over it, especially if you were together for a long time, but you do move onwards and upwards. If you feel a bit blue just come chat to us. :wink:

Leave it H. Your ex is exactly that! Move on and forget it.

Oh yes, I have moved on, long ago. But the dynamic is always different if, as in our case, you have children because you can’t do the usual thing of being able to completely sever your connection. In the OP’s case this at least won’t be a factor, which will help.

We’ve just got to be there for our TruckNet buddy in his difficult times.

Harry Monk:
We’ve just got to be there for our TruckNet buddy in his difficult times.

^^^ This ^^^

At the OP… you’ll get good days and bad days for some time to come. try not to be bitter on the bad ones and try not to be smug on the good 'uns. Talking is a great help, even on here. You may find half of your friends disappearing too…some can’t deal with split relationships and just avoid any contact, others will take sides - not always yours - so be prepared for that! The ones you have left, though, will be true friends to you. Lean on them because true friends will expect it, and want you to… Being alone when your world is crumbling is just crap - it all seems worse then. Think positive if you can…

As ‘they’ say, one door closes and another one opens… :wink:

at least you still have your right hand

Commiserations on your split mate, like quite a few on here i’ve been down that road. Fortunately there are no kids involved so a complete break from your ex is possible, at least for the first 6 months, best keep your distance til you’re both over it.
Life does get better, my ex left me with 4 kids & a mortgage, that was 10 years ago, still got 3 kids at home (& the 4th lives 5 doors away) & managed to keep up with the mortgage payments, been with the same woman the last 8yrs & life has never been better.
Good luck, times a great healer.