Selfish disabled drivers gridlock town for 45 minutes

Two car drivers were given fixed penalty tickets for double parking, they blocked the road. Chaos was caused as buses could not get past to get to their bus stops.
Disabled badge holders get free parking but car A parked ok, only for car B to park opposite,but they both got tickets.
Full story in the Wiltshire Times.

I’ve experienced the “I’ve a blue badge, I can park where I like” brigade. Just one person oike that causes grief for those who don’t abuse the system. Probably those who have a badge because their son has “behavioural issues” or those who dump their scooters outside Weatherspoons.

The Police were called but were unable to move the two cars until the owners returned.
In Spain or Portugal the bus would have pushed the cars or get them towed away.
Delaying the buses could have made somebody late for a job interview.

this lot would of sorted it dailymail.co.uk/news/article … racks.html

If I was driving a fire engine on a shout I would just drive through the two parked cars.
If they are written off it is not my problem.
As they say tough ■■■ ■■■.

wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/in … rowbridge/

cant see what the problem is" you can get a bus through that " oh wait a minuet

Muckaway:
I’ve experienced the “I’ve a blue badge, I can park where I like” brigade. Just one person oike that causes grief for those who don’t abuse the system. Probably those who have a badge because their son has “behavioural issues” or those who dump their scooters outside Weatherspoons.

It’s usually the ones who don’t have the badge because of their own disability who are the biggest problem. Many are also unaware of (or choose to ignore) the fact that the blue badge does not entitle them to park in a loading bay; I get this problem regularly at a delivery in Porth, in the Rhondda, and I’ve even taken to keeping a piece of paper in the cab, detailing the legal ins and outs, which I printed off from the relevant government website. Even then I’ve had them refuse to move even if a “normal” bay is vacant down the street.

I’m reluctant to criticise the blue badge scheme; one day, heaven forbid, I may well be glad to have one myself. It has its benefits as a means of helping genuinely disabled folk to live a more normal life, and that’s a good thing. It does however get regularly abused; as the copper said, it’s not a license to park where the hell you like and this fact should be made much more plain to the holders of this privilege. Whilst, however, you have people who think that you shouldn’t even dare to use a disabled loo even if there isn’t a disabled person within a mile never mind waiting outside (as per Julie Burchill’s comments on Radio 4 t’other day) then the authorities will always hesitate to be too heavy-handed for fear of being accused of discrimination.

Sidevalve:
the authorities will always hesitate to be too heavy-handed for fear of being accused of discrimination.

Exactly. Move their car on Monday morning for blocking off an entire street and read all about them in the papers on Tuesday bleating about being treated like a leper and that they were only in getting their life saving medicine and there was plenty of room and they were parked fine blah blah blah
I agree with the blue badge scheme in most ways but it is abused something rotten.

Can you not tow away a blue badged vehicle?
I like the fact Kenneth Williams commented, a most remarkable feet considering he died in 1988.

news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/6 … vacar2.jpg

Personally I think they should bring these back

This subject really winds me up. Don’t get me wrong blue badges for some people really are much needed but my problem with it is that I personally don’t feel the rules on using and obtaining one are strict enough. Granted, I don’t know the ins and outs but I have a family member who is a ■■■■ taker. They have one when it is pretty clear they don’t need it and always crying the poor tail but yet manages to find a substantial down payment every 3 years for a very very nice and heavily specced car.

Whilst I’m ranting about this sort of subject… Parent and toddler bays■■? What!!! So because you have chosen to breed that entitles you to park in the doorstep to shops? Having a child somehow hinders the use of your legs?? Even when I go to the shops with my young nephew or nieces I refuse to use those bays

htfc1984:
Whilst I’m ranting about this sort of subject… Parent and toddler bays■■? What!!! So because you have chosen to breed that entitles you to park in the doorstep to shops? Having a child somehow hinders the use of your legs?? Even when I go to the shops with my young nephew or nieces I refuse to use those bays

No; they’re actually for the protection of other drivers. Ever seen the damage a “mummyfied” woman can do to your car when she’s trying to park a people carrier whilst trying to ignore the squabbling of Barnaby, Olivia and Henry in the back? :wink:

I had my own revenge on one self-righteous cow though. She took me to task for parking my van in one of those spaces, at about midnight in a Tesco’s when I was on my way to a bike show. Went all quiet and stomped off in a huff when I told her that anyone who’d got kids in the car at that time of night shouldn’t be breeding in the first place. :smiley:

My local ASDA introduced bays for 'larger vehicles about four weeks ago. I imagine they’re aimed at people who feel the need to drive a 4x4. I felt the need to park my Polo in one of the bays :stuck_out_tongue:

Motorbikes and mopeds parked in car bays when there is an area for them elsewhere, why is that ?
Why do car drivers never get out to check if they are in line on parking by the side of a road ?
If they went forward or back a few feet it would allow several more cars to use the parking bays.

I drive a 4x4, but I can park it anywhere someone struggles to get a polo into. Quite funny in the local tesco watching granny trying to park her smart car in space for 10 minutes and I drive straight into another in my large 4x4 without issue.

In fact I’ve parked my truck in a space another woman gave up on trying to get her monndeo into. Her face was a picture.

The problem with the disabled and parent and child spaces is that it means other folk have to walk a lot further to get to the door. My local Sainsburys is particularly bad, basically the majority of spaces are off limits to me.

This is a brilliant story, not a Hi Viz in sight! 'Elf and Safety would have a field day :laughing:

dailymail.co.uk/news/article … racks.html

Blue badge holders are a menace for large vehicles trying to go about their business making deliveries in town centres, even just vans sometimes. This story has made the headlines because it was on a busy street, but these incidents happen on side streets day in day out.

Used to do a drop in Preston where you had to reverse off a side street down a passage and more often than not, you’d return to the cab and find a blue badger parked on the double yellows opposite the entrance leaving you stuffed. Once for two hours.

they’ve been having a clamp down, down our end of the country (hope the link works)

portsmouth.co.uk/news/busine … -1-6468234

I asked my wife if she was happy with her shiny, all-the-toys Motability car and the blue badge. She said it was OK but she would much rather have the use of her legs and ditch the wheelchair and mobility scooter once and for all.