Self employed

Hi all has i,m self employed with nova has a sole trader when i put road tax on my car can i claim for this,also my car is on finance,just a question has i,m not sure if this can be claimed against.Thanks all :smiley:

Not meaning to be flippant but surely NOVA be in a better position to tell you what you can and can’t claim :question: :question: :question:

deano32:
Hi all has i,m self employed with nova has a sole trader when i put road tax on my car can i claim for this,also my car is on finance,just a question has i,m not sure if this can be claimed against.Thanks all :smiley:

Depends.

You can either claim for mileage or claim for running costs, you cannot claim for both. If claiming for running costs, the car has to basically belong to the business and you can only claim for the percentage of that which is business use. Example:

You do 300 miles per week, 200 is business (travel to work) and the other 100 is personal (shopping, day out etc). You would be able to claim 2/3 of any running costs against your tax bill but not the whole amount so if you put in £60 in petrol, even though that petrol may all be used for business, you could only claim 2/3 of it.

Regarding finance, you would only be able to claim for the interest and also the depreciation of the car but the loan would also need to be in the name of the business - not a problem if you’re trading under your name. If you sold the car, the amount it sold for would need to be recorded in your books as income and you’d be taxed on it.

Basically, unless you’re only doing a few thousand miles per year in total, you’re better off claiming mileage allowance. For example, if you do 10,000 business miles per year, that allows you to claim £4000 in mileage expenses. There is no way on this earth unless you’re driving a right shed that it’d cost £4000 a year to run your car.

Ben9:
Not meaning to be flippant but surely NOVA be in a better position to tell you what you can and can’t claim :question: :question: :question:

BWAHAHAHA. Nova are nothing more than an overpriced basic book-keeping service. They offer no tax advice and also require you to do things you’re not actually required to (such as having £15 of petrol receipts for every 100 miles you claim). In addition to that, they don’t actually even put down everything you can claim for.

im self employed…and i chuck the insurance cost ,mot costs,tax and fuel plus any repairs as a cost, :wink: :wink: :wink:
not forgetting to claim for nights out,food allowance of 5.75 a day, phone bill,
using your house as an office,percentage of the house bills,and on and on and on,get a good accounts bod,£300 a year to them,can save you a few thousand :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

saucyboar5:
im self employed…and i chuck the insurance cost ,mot costs,tax and fuel plus any repairs as a cost, :wink: :wink: :wink:
not forgetting to claim for nights out,food allowance of 5.75 a day, phone bill,
using your house as an office,percentage of the house bills,and on and on and on,get a good accounts bod,£300 a year to them,can save you a few thousand :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Seconded. Go Ltd and save even more ! :sunglasses:

And no I don’t care to provide a sodding link ! :wink:

good accountant will save you more money thn enough .

they should be telling you what you can cliam for imo .

only thing is nova wont be in a position tell you that the goverment tried to shut them down few years ago you would be safer doing your self employed bit through a accountant everything above board your car would only be able to be claimed if it was a company car and for likes of us its not worth effort millage claim is better