Big thank you to Limeyphil

Your advice on claiming mileage and expenses was spot on. I claimed for a year 6 years ago just to see how i got on. For some reason that year i only paid £92 tax but i just got that £92 refunded. Now to file the other 5 forms i have for the other years. Hopefully a 4 figure payment due. :smiley:

this self employed. :question: :question: :question:

No I’ve always been paye agency. I do a lot of milage to work about 26,000 miles a year. So you normally use a P87 form but because mine was over the limit I had to fill in a self assesment form. I sent it off a few weeks ago claiming mileage and uniform with no receipts and got £92 back. Should of been more but I only paid £92 in tax in the year 2002-3. Hope this helps.

jessicas dad:
this self employed. :question: :question: :question:

Ooh - there’s a whole host of things you can claim, even when not self employed.

I have a “discussion point” going on at the moment with the firm. While I was researching for that, I came across the mileage allowances. If I use my car to get to Felixstowe for example, the company will only pay 25p per mile. The actual allowance (tax free) is 40ppm for the first 10,000 miles and 25ppm for mileage above that. As an individual, you could claim the difference in the allowance if you wanted to fill in the forms.

My own preference is to say to the company “No. You don’t pay enough for mileage”

LASHHGV:
Your advice on claiming mileage and expenses was spot on. I claimed for a year 6 years ago just to see how i got on. For some reason that year i only paid £92 tax but i just got that £92 refunded. Now to file the other 5 forms i have for the other years. Hopefully a 4 figure payment due. :smiley:

cheers pal.
you see chaps. i’m not full of [zb]. :laughing:

Hi,i’m on agency have been on paye with em since june 2009,i’ve worked on the same contract at the same depot all that time 14 miles a day,is it poss to claim mileage allowance ?also i buy my own boots,jacket etc (gloves,hi vis supplied)am i able to claim for this?anything else i can claim for at end of tax year with the "p87 form,and do i just pick one up from the local tax orifice?cheers

Just get a P87 and you should be sorted for all your stuff.

hmrc.gov.uk/forms/p87.pdf
Think this is the one you want …/
save and print off the doc then fill it out and post off

I thought that if you were traviling to and from your usual place of work you couldnt claim as it would be no different than fred blogs working in town every day … also the wording see below and extract

for travelling expenses on business mileage if
you used your own car, van, motorcycle or cycle for work (but
include expenses of using a company vehicle in section 4).
Business mileage is the number of miles you have travelled
while actually doing your work or spent travelling to a
temporary workplace. You cannot get tax relief for travel
between home and a permanent workplace as business
miles,

But I would say that if your not traveing to the same place of work you would be able to claim ie Sainsbury RDC Mon Tesoc RDC Tue Morrissons Wed etc

nick2008:
Claim tax relief for your job expenses: Overview - GOV.UK
Think this is the one you want …/
save and print off the doc then fill it out and post off

I thought that if you were traviling to and from your usual place of work you couldnt claim as it would be no different than fred blogs working in town every day … also the wording see below and extract

for travelling expenses on business mileage if
you used your own car, van, motorcycle or cycle for work (but
include expenses of using a company vehicle in section 4).
Business mileage is the number of miles you have travelled
while actually doing your work or spent travelling to a
temporary workplace. You cannot get tax relief for travel
between home and a permanent workplace as business
miles,

But I would say that if your not traveing to the same place of work you would be able to claim ie Sainsbury RDC Mon Tesoc RDC Tue Morrissons Wed etc

Will be interesting to know Limeys Thoughts on this and what he actually claimed on.

You dont have to name the places you go to i work for various firms on agency throught the year. I should be due about £1500 a year for mileage alone as i live a fair way from the places i work. Will keep you all informed of the outcome…

Thanks for all the info lads,much appreciated.
i’m just trying to see if i can get the mileage as it’s not a guaranteed week or owt like that,it’s working for a big agency and they do have many contracts,but i tend to be continually placed on the same contract.in my thinking a permanant place is a guaranteed week workplace,most weeks its 5 days ,but a morning phone call from the agency to cancel your shift for that day or ask you to fill in at ,but another depot/contract are not unknown.who is best to ask,the taxman?

You are agency so you are a temporary worker. You may go in one firm for 6 months but your still a temp.

limeyphil:

LASHHGV:

cheers pal.
you see chaps. i’m not full of [zb]. :laughing:

One swallow doesn’t make a summer. :stuck_out_tongue: