Self employed or paye

been on the agency for a few weeks now and people have asked why i aint with nova or back office.
i know you can claim things back, but frightened if i mess everything up and end up in the **** so to speak.
as anyone got any good advice to what to do and any ideas of how to goabout things

Just work cash in hand like I do. :laughing:

Anyone know where there’s a “bait” icon? I feel a catch coming on!

im with nova & have been for 15 month best move i;ve made dont pay much tax & ni claim for travel,laundy,+ any work wear & taking home £500+ for 5 days.

my brotherin law is with Nova, he has been with them for a few years as far as i know, Nova sort out all your tax, NI for you and you can claim for travel expenses, PPE, Laptop etc…

NOVA IS A SCAM - I’VE WARNED ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS NOW - ARE YOU PEOPLE STUPID??

Also not to mention that you’re paying them £1300 per year in fees for being a glorified accountant when a real accountant would do it for a fifth, if not a tenth of that price and you can claim for more stuff.

PAYE for me far easier than any other way.

Rob K:
NOVA IS A SCAM - I’VE WARNED ABOUT THIS FOR MONTHS NOW - ARE YOU PEOPLE STUPID??

Also not to mention that you’re paying them £1300 per year in fees for being a glorified accountant when a real accountant would do it for a fifth, if not a tenth of that price and you can claim for more stuff.

It’s also very easy to submit your own returns as self employed online (or paye for that matter).

Besides, being an agency worker, or “part time”, you can claim most if not all the tax back at the end of year if you’ve not been in continuous work
:laughing:

hardly a scam they do inform you of the charges upfront
ok they are steep but at least you know the score
mmm cash in hand working for less than you deserve so as to EVADE tax
thats dumb
in answer to the Q. paye

iam Paye with the agency…i just think it is easier that ways

steve_24v:
Besides, being an agency worker, or “part time”, you can claim most if not all the tax back at the end of year if you’ve not been in continuous work

Depends what you have earned and what tax you have paid. If the correct tax codes have been used throughout the year (assuming agency is on PAYE basis), then there shouldn’t be anything to claim back.

Rob K:

Not so much a scam - I think they are just exploiting some loopholes that exist at the moment. It will be interesting to see peoples reactions if the loopholes get closed. HM Revenue & Customs are a dab hand at backdating things when it’s in their favour.

killsville:

Rob K:

Not so much a scam - I think they are just exploiting some loopholes that exist at the moment. It will be interesting to see peoples reactions if the loopholes get closed. HM Revenue & Customs are a dab hand at backdating things when it’s in their favour.

And what about the Employers Liability Insurance (iirc?) they deduct from you at £20-30 ish per week. How can they legally do that when you’re not an employer, merely a shareholder? The whole thing is a COMPLETE RIP OFF.

I`m PAYE atm on agency
at least your suposed to get some form of holiday pay
however I am considering going the SE route, but deffinately not going VOVA
as dicussed at length on several threads, (* yawns)
coz at some point HMCE will eventually close the loophole which NOVA exploite

Rob K:

Name and adress of Your accountand please

killsville:

steve_24v:

Depends what you have earned and what tax you have paid. If the correct tax codes have been used throughout the year (assuming agency is on PAYE basis), then there shouldn’t be anything to claim back.

That’s assuming one works 52 weeks/year, as in continuous.

For folks like me who get taxed over 52 weeks but don’t necessary work the full year can obviously claim some, often most, of the tax back. Little or no tax is paid with the likes of nova as your pay is mainly made up in dividends so nothing to claim back.

So for me on paye I pay minimal tax, whereas on nova I pay minimal tax but have the costs…

Rob K:

yes but it aint that easy to set yourself up as a limited company & thats where the loophole comes in.

164480:

Rob K:

yes but it aint that easy to set yourself up as a limited company & thats where the loophole comes in.

Actually it’s very easy…

£40-£50 for setup, job done :laughing:

steve_24v:
That’s assuming one works 52 weeks/year, as in continuous.

For folks like me who get taxed over 52 weeks but don’t necessary work the full year can obviously claim some, often most, of the tax back.

You must be on what is called ‘Week 1/Month1’ basis tax code. If it is on a ■■■■■■■■■■ basis but don’t work every week, you would perhaps pay tax one week and get a refund the next. By week 52, you should have paid the right amount of tax. (On ■■■■■■■■■■■

Overpaying tax can be a good thing as it is possible to get interest on your money. One of the few benefits the tax office give!

Rob K:
And what about the Employers Liability Insurance (iirc?) they deduct from you at £20-30 ish per week. How can they legally do that when you’re not an employer, merely a shareholder? The whole thing is a COMPLETE RIP OFF.

Now that figure is a rip off! My uncle doesn’t pay that for his business and he employs about eight people.

steve_24v:

It is possible to buy ‘off the shelf’ companies. All the paperwork is done for you. Within 24 hours, you have a company that is ready to trade!