Self employed drivers

Firstly apology’s I’m sure this has all been asked before but I can’t seem to find it.

I came across a web page today of an experienced driver offering his services as a self employed driver, I would be interested to here from anyone who works like this for several different firms,

Do you register yourself as a company?

What does your public liability insurance cover, does whoever owns the veichles cover you on their insurance to drive?

Do you insist on a minimum amount eg 8 hours?

Do you need to be vat registered?

How often would you invoice?

What sort of % above the going employed driver would you need to charge. ?

Again I’m sorry if this has all been asked before but if anyone could help me out with any of the above id be most grateful, or you can pm me if it’s not something you want everyone to know. Thanking you in advance.

Do you register yourself as a company? Yes, but you don’t have to be. You can just be self-employed.

What does your public liability insurance cover, does whoever owns the veichles cover you on their insurance to drive? Don’t have PL, don’t feel I need it, have never been asked for it. I drive under the transport company’s own insurance policy (in the same way an agency driver does). When I start with a new firm, I put in writing that the agreed rates are £■■■ etc, and that they provide all fully comp insurance whether accident is my fault or not.

Do you insist on a minimum amount eg 8 hours? Yes, use to be 8 hours per shift, recently increased it to 10 hours per shift

Do you need to be vat registered? No, not if you earn under approx £74k (not sure exact amount) per annum. Most firms will expect you to be vat registered as they claim it back anyway.

How often would you invoice? Weekly. Invoice goes in via email on Monday night for the previous Monday - Sunday

What sort of % above the going employed driver would you need to charge. ? There’s no set rate, it’s up to you to agree with the transport company. You need to pitch between the PAYE driver’s rate and the Agency’s rate - I just blatantly ask them what the Agency charges per hour (not what the agency driver gets paid per hour) and come in less than that

Thanks for that