Seen this to many times!

telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop … limit.html

I love motorbikes but seeing this, its just terrible to many people are hurt at the end of the day…

towards the end is the accident :frowning:

a tragedy for all concerned but i don’t think he should’ve escaped jail. So his mate died it could just as easily have been a family of 5.
I’ve got little sympathy for him

I could see that coming…

I ride a bike thats capable of doing 170+ mph, and yes Ive done it, BUT never on those sort of roads with that traffic, sorry but to my mind they had a death wish…

He was decapitated and lost both legs after getting tangled in the wheels of the van. FFS Can you imagine the trauma of seeing that happen in front of you.? It will haunt the witnesses for ever.

Saw one come past me this morning on the M1 going south near Sheffield. Must have been doing similar speeds to the bloke in the video. A few cars couldn’t see him coming up the outside lane, as they went to ovetake other traffic then pulled back in quick when they realised the Nutjob on the bike was just about to run into the back of them. I watched in horror, but he seeemed to get away with it…this time !!! :open_mouth:

Yes he was riding like a nutter but the accident was caused by the car pulling out for the overtake. Car driver probably not checking mirrors before an overtake on single carriageway (I see it all the time especially on the A roads of Lincs and E.Anglia).

Mr B:
a tragedy for all concerned but i don’t think he should’ve escaped jail. So his mate died it could just as easily have been a family of 5.
I’ve got little sympathy for him

is jailing people for speeding the best option?
they were speeding excesively (not sure of spelling) but somehow as with most accidents they did not intend that result.
what about the car driver who pulls out clipping the bike? should he be jailed? would that change the result for the better?
the mans parents have asked for his friend not to be jailed as i am sure they understand that accidents happen.
yes the riding was high risk to everyone including innocent people and the results could have been a lot worse but what would jailing him change or prove?
most of us will have pulled some ridiculous stunt that endangered others and most of us have got away with it through pure luck, but this shows how easy it can go wrong.
i have no sympathy for him only the people in the camper van, they are the people who suffered most at the accident scene.

It says ERF not RAF:
Yes he was riding like a nutter but the accident was caused by the car pulling out for the overtake. Car driver probably not checking mirrors before an overtake on single carriageway (I see it all the time especially on the A roads of Lincs and E.Anglia).

The car driver clearly indicated before pulling out. When he checked his mirrors, the moron on the bike travelling at 170 would have been near half a mile back. In an accident like this, anything could have happened. Including the bike being lifted into the air, crashing through the windscreen of the camper van, before exploding inside killing all it’s occupants.

The only suprising thing to my mind was the age of the guys.
Anyway, there’s a moral to the story…think twice, think bike doing a ton !!

Can’t see the video, but the A30 in cornwall is not the best road for high speed. Way too many nutters in cars. If the riders had been in their 20s then you could understand it, but in their 40s ? Lucky he didn’t take his son on the back. I think they should take the survivors bike licence away though. He’s proven he’s not fit to hold one.

berewic:

It says ERF not RAF:

The car driver clearly indicated before pulling out. When he checked his mirrors, the moron on the bike travelling at 170 would have been near half a mile back.

The bike was pulling away from the roundabout at 95 ish mph and probably had its headlights on.The car should have stayed there, I would have.

berewic:
In an accident like this, anything could have happened. Including the bike being lifted into the air, crashing through the windscreen of the camper van, before exploding inside killing all it’s occupants.

Then Bruce Willis walking away from the flaming wreckage lighting a ■■■…

It says ERF not RAF:
The bike was pulling away from the roundabout at 95 ish mph and probably had its headlights on.The car should have stayed there, I would have.

You’re right mate. I do this too. Sometimes i drive along a road behind a slower vehicle and think.‘i want to go faster so i’ll overtake this car’, then i make sure i have my lights on too, even though i’m in my car. I look in my mirrors and although it all looks clear i say to my self ‘i’ll give this another 30 seconds or so before i pull out, just incase a motorbike is coming up to overtake me doing a ton and i havn’t seen him’. I just know that some of you are going to laugh at this, but the proof is in the pudding, i’ve never hit one. :smiley:

It says ERF not RAF:

If you’re travelling at that sort of speed there can’t be any complaint about cars pulling out in front of you.
As a car/truck occasional bike driver i look for bikers but if i see one in the far distance on a 60 mph road i can’t be blamed if he’s doing 3 times the speed i rightly expect.

The biker rode on chevrons to overtake the car drove on chevrons to overtake whats the difference?.

People that design roads put these things there for a purpose TO PREVENT ACCIDENTS.

jammymutt:
The biker rode on chevrons to overtake the car drove on chevrons to overtake whats the difference?.

About 100mph apparently :unamused:

reminds me of a saying - “fools rush in”.

smoker:

jammymutt:

About 100mph apparently :unamused:

reminds me of a saying - “fools rush in”.

What speed is it ok to overtake on chevrons then is it between 1 and 100?.

Are you doing odds or is it NO no matter what the speed is?.

My money is on OH ■■■■ I dont do it and im alive !!!best odds really.

Thats why the Emergency Services call them Organ Doners.

I feel sympathy for both the car driver and van driver, it must be hard thing to deal with :frowning:

i see this sort of behavior a lot but that was exceptionally bad - a total disregard for people around them and themselves :imp:

It must be awful when a family member dies in any sort of road accident, and my sympathies are again, with all concerned.

It beggars belief though, that even after close shaves, attending funerals of other riders and even the showing of such footage, there are alot of riders who still, time and time again, risk thiers and the lives of others, for an adrenalin fix.

Can anyone answer me this? Why oh why, are there so many posters / signs / tv and radio ads telling DRIVERS to look out for bikes■■? I am talking about the ones you see on country roads, not common sense at junctions.

To give an example, there’s one to the effect of, “Turning right? Watch for bikes.”,accompanied with an illustration of car door / mirror and a bike in the mirror. Sorry to the bikers, but if I am indicating and doing all the right things before I turn right, then you should’nt be trying to overtake me in the first place.

The rules apply to all roadusers, not just those with more than 4 wheels.

Sorry, that turned into bit of a rant, but living in Lincolnshire with plenty of open, country roads, there’s quite a few that dont make it home.

Anyway, condolonces to anyone that has to witness anything this horrific.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

thats shocking at their age as well, you would have thought they would have more about them than that. the lad that got killed did you see the way he cut his mate up and sped off. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

bloody idiots.

just a thought … i would have made the biker untangle his mate from the camper van and cut his leathers off to see the damaged caused.

Darby Flyer:
Can anyone answer me this? Why oh why, are there so many posters / signs / tv and radio ads telling DRIVERS to look out for bikes■■? I am talking about the ones you see on country roads, not common sense at junctions.

To give an example, there’s one to the effect of, “Turning right? Watch for bikes.”,accompanied with an illustration of car door / mirror and a bike in the mirror. Sorry to the bikers, but if I am indicating and doing all the right things before I turn right, then you should’nt be trying to overtake me in the first place.

And you know and I know that car drivers seldom use their indicators, mirrors or common sense when doing anything. The amount of times a car just slams the brakes on and then AS THEY TURN their hand sort of catches the indicator stalk. Or when changing lanes for a filter lane at lights, they change lanes, pull up at the lights, THEN turn the indicator on. Or just the stupid ones who are more interested in playing with the radio or doing their makeup who occasionally swerve from side to side. And the sudden U-turn is a favourite stunt too. Or indicating left for half a mile then turning right without looking or noticing what their indicators doing.
I was nearly killed by such an idiot. As I drove quite correctly on my side of the road, on oncoming car started drifting towards my side of the road. I had nowhere to go, even if I had stopped I would have been hit. The driver was playing with the radio looking down. Luckily he looked up at the last minute and swerved back again. So I turned round and followed him down to the next junction to have a word. He got out of the car, and punched me in the face through my open crash helmet. I was still sat on the bike - he had nearly killed me, and now he’s smacking me in the face. Police are a waste of time without witnesses and proof, so I’m hoping he ended up under a bus someday. But I’ll never trust a car driver, ever.

Overall, there are way too many stupid people on the road. Cyclists seem to think that sticking their arm out gives them a magic shield against being run over. Didn’t anybody tell them they have to look behind them before they do that ? Or another cyclist riding down the centre of the road weaving left and right at 20 mph, blocking following traffic even though there is a ■■■■■■■ empty bus lane next to them. Add to that often having no lights and dark clothing, these people are asking to get hurt or killed. The only difference with car drivers is that they are sat in a tank and so other people suffer.

So while a biker shouldn’t be overtaking at a junction, most car drivers don’t need a junction to knock a biker off - hence the signs. And you are supposed to look in your mirrors before you do anything in a motor vehicle. Just indicating isn’t enough, and you will fail your test, which after all is supposed to be a test of BASIC standards for driving. 2 wrongs get the biker killed. The whole point is to avoid injury, not to apportion the blame afterwards.