Seddon Atkinson

my farther in law worked for seddon aki at oldham for 35 years said they were the best years of his life and built by men not robots.when they moved to madrid he was offered his job over there but turned them down.as a youngster i rode about in a 200 series tipper not the most comftable motor,very basic but did its job.up in scotland they sware buy them there bloody everywere.

:open_mouth: The guy who originally asked this question 7and a half years ago is probably now driving a 401 on a cloud :unamused: :unamused:

This is one of the few that are still in service with the RAF I remember picking them up from the factory. I saw this the other year at a reunion and was reminded that it used to be mine from new. It used to be white in my day though.

image.jpg

The factory where seddon atkinson was in oldham was flattened except for the offices which are now split into seperate office units.
TTX transport now occupies the land were the factory once stood. :slight_smile:

The bus firm in Preston is still running a K-reg Sed Ack wrecker, painted bright green and looking in remarkably good condition too!

Never mind Seddon Atkinson never was one of my favourites.Anybody remember the original Atkinson…A real man’s truck or in this case a “Real Woman’s” truck…Love the sun visor and comments below vid are worth reading.

youtube.com/watch?v=dOx1-CInfzY

Spardo I think there were a lot more day cabs fitted on Seddon Atkinson 400/401 units when you think of the big fleets that ran them such as ICI and Suttons there were few sleepers among them. Eddie.

Not seen many Seddon Atki’s about lately but saw an 06 dustcart today, must be one of the last registered.

I was born and bred in Walton~le~Dale so this thread caught my eye. These are two pictures of the old Oldham Plant that I took today. Not quite the character of the old Spurrior Works but at least they haven’t burnt down…

like the gap around the drivers door on the video.

I remember my friend driving a Seddon Atkinson. What ever happened to this truck company?

I know they are owned by Iveco but I am not sure if they are still producing trucks in Lancashire

I used to take ■■■■■■■ parts into the factory in Oldham,just as they switched over to the Iveco cab.

I haven’t been for about 10 years,so I’m unsure if they are still there.

I know that there are chassis’s (sp?) still available for local authorities,ie;bin wagons and the like,so it maybe that they are still around,albeit in a smaller fashion.

I’m sure the TN authority on all things Seddon, (Mal.) will be along soon,and maybe give the definitive answer.

Ken.

Quinny:
I’m sure the TN authority on all things Seddon, (Mal.) will be along soon,and maybe give the definitive answer.

Ken.

:blush: :blush: :laughing: I wish I was an authority on them Ken! I just like them, and have drove a fair few over the years! I bet Marky, 240 Gardner or Killsville know a lot more about them than me. But thanks for the vote of confidence! :smiley:

UKTruckie, they are owned by Iveco, and until recently made the Strato range which included tractors like the Strato Cruiser which were basically Iveco cabbed with tech or star cabs. But they were better than the the Iveco’s I think, and were engined by ■■■■■■■ which I reckon is a plus! :slight_smile: They also make a lot of dustcarts and municipals ect. Now I believe that the production is in Spain, and they are concentrating on municipal vehc’s. It was a sad day when the factory at Oldham went.

Indeed it was a sad day Mal, interesting to speculate on how different things may have been today if Foden or ERF had won the battle for Atkinson.

The production facility at Oldham ceased operations some time back.

Last I heard the Woodstock factory site was being ‘regenerated’. I am in contact with someone at Seddon-Atkinson who now works for them in Madrid, which is where they now are based.

There are municipal chassis still being built along with six- and eight-wheeler mixer and tipper chassis. Within Iveco, Seddon-Atkinson are a ‘special types’ manufacturer, with all the components being in-house (engines, cabs, etc.)

My gilfriend’s gran lives near the factory.

There’s still a building with SA on it which looks occupied (pics in reception of the trucks) but the rest of the site has been taken over by other businesses.

Tim

Limey:
Indeed it was a sad day Mal, interesting to speculate on how different things may have been today if Foden or ERF had won the battle for Atkinson.

Yeah, makes you wonder dont it Limey! I allways imagined though that Foden, or ERF would have took the best bits and phased Atki’s out, as the products wernt too different! Look at Paccar, theyre going to phase Foden out, and MAN have stitched ERF up. Not much lewft of our truck making history is there?

Mal:
I wish I was an authority on them Ken! I just like them, and have drove a fair few over the years! I bet Marky, 240 Gardner or Killsville know a lot more about them than me. But thanks for the vote of confidence!

We’re just Atkinson nutters and don’t bother too much with the ‘Seddon’ bit :laughing:

Mal, note the difference in our Avatars? Mine is the proper ‘Big A’ :wink:

:laughing: I know yours is a proper one Andy, I have one down the cellar (sprayed black sadly)! But that one is from a photo I took of my last Strato as a reminder, and I like it although its plastic! I left the knights head on a lorry years ago cant remember when it just dissapeared.

To be honest, I do like the actual seddons as well, the cab just before the motor panels guy ect cab was pretty stylish, they allways appealed to me in an odd way, maybe it’s because I never drove one? :wink: