Seddon Atkinson

I share your interest in Seddons Mal; I like the older models that pre-dated the Motor Panels-cabbed stuff as well.

They were a different sort of company to Atkinson in lots of ways, and focussed on a different sector of the market - probably why they merged rather than ERF or Leyland taking Atkinson on.

I still remember the 4-wheel bulk blowers that Marsdens ran at Midge Hall, and the fleet of Whitehursts from Bolton - very well turned out wagons. If I remember rightly, they were all 16:Fours. then there were the Spillers French wagons that used to go to Harvey’s bakery at Wigan - 34:Fours with 220 Rollers in them.

I never actually saw a 34:Four with an 8-pot Gardner installed, but have since seen pictures of them. I always got the feeling that when it got to multi-wheelers and artic tractors, Seddon seemed to be ‘punching above their weight’ so to speak.

Im glad you like them Marky. The only info I have on them at the moment is the Pat Kennet book, its interesting but a bit thin!

May I suggest that you do a search on http://www.abebooks.com for ‘The Illustrated History of Seddon Atkinson Trucks & Buses’ by Nick Baldwin?

I did and got a mint copy for £8 (+ postage) from a bookshop on England (forget where).

It’s a great search resource - you just need to know what to look for.

Yeah …i remember driving the old sed/atk.with a coffin on the back…the last seddon i drove was a daf cabbed strato…best thing on the road…especially with the big cam ■■■■■■■■■■■ a proper gearbox too…

marky:
May I suggest that you do a search on http://www.abebooks.com for ‘The Illustrated History of Seddon Atkinson Trucks & Buses’ by Nick Baldwin?

I did and got a mint copy for £8 (+ postage) from a bookshop on England (forget where).

It’s a great search resource - you just need to know what to look for.

Cheers Marky, I’ll check that out M8!

truckyboy:
Yeah …i remember driving the old sed/atk.with a coffin on the back…the last seddon i drove was a daf cabbed strato…best thing on the road…especially with the big cam ■■■■■■■■■■■ a proper gearbox too…

The old big cam, I aint heard that said for a while Bob! To be honest, I still wonder at them for a 290 rating, I know the ones I had went like ■■■■ off a shovel!

truckyboy:

Don’t want to be controversial here, and maybe it’s the little grey cells playing up again but, surely all the Sed/Aks were proper sleeper cabs. The coffins were a feature of real Atkis. :confused: :smiley:
Could be wrong I suppose, they did produce day cabs, so someone may have converted :open_mouth: .

Salut, David.

I seem to recall seeing a 400 with what looked like an aftermarket sleeper on it, but I can’t remember who owned it.

The factory sleepers had a fatal flaw in the design which was principally that they were built in vertical sections. If you recall, there were two windows behind each door (the day cab rear quarterlight and another bigger window) - well they sat on seperate panels that were welded together. I have no idea why SA didn’t build them as a single structure - it would’ve reduced the attrition rate considerably.

I have pictures of 400s & 401s taken at less than 12 months old with the weld lines clearly rusting through the paintwork - not good. If only the cab had lasted as well as the mechanicals…

Sounds to me Mark as if the term ‘aftermarket’ applied in the factory as well. Perhaps it was just that, that a certain number of cabs were diverted from the main (day cab) line to have extensions welded on.

Salut, David.

Yep,the British Truckindustry is gone :confused:

Not quite Fred - the British-owned bits have all but gone, but the industry is still alive here.

Can someone tell me whether XFs are built at the Leyland Trucks factory?

I keep seeing finished cabs getting taken in there (presumably from Eindhoven) but I never see any finished wagons coming out.

I dunno why Paccar didn’t use the XF cab on a Foden chassis to see if it sold. TGAs sell quite well as ERFs so it could’ve worked…

I dunno why Paccar didn’t use the XF cab on a Foden chassis to see if it sold. TGAs sell quite well as ERFs so it could’ve worked…

■■■■ good point Mark! I think they want to bury Foden! Personally the alpha I drove I thought was great, and would have been even better with that bungalow sized cab on it!

I was told by the sales manager at Charnwood Trucks / Baden Hardstaffs, that the Daf arm of Paccar were bitterly opposed to repeated requests for the cab to be released to Foden. He was losing a number of heavy hauliers who were ready to replace their 4000 series’ but wanted a little more than the smaller cab. He reckoned that if the big ■■■■■■■ was still available then Foden would most likely have got their way.

Yup, a Foden with a 14-litre 525 ■■■■■■■ and an XF SSC - that would definitely have been an attraction to plant haulers replacing their old 4000 series motors.

What a pity that big ■■■■■■■ isn’t available any more.

“Located since 1856 in Sandbach, Cheshire (United Kingdom), Foden claims to be the world’s oldest truck manufacturer.”

It’s all here foden.com/tc1.htm

From the following link it apears Leyland are stronger than ever.
paccar.com/corp/LeylandPage.asp
[/quote]

What cab does the Foden 4000 have?

Is it the older style DAF space cab?

The 2000, 3000 and 4000 series had the old glass-fibre cab that was originally developed for Foden by Motor Panels.

the DAF CF cab was fitted to the Alphas.

marky:
The 2000, 3000 and 4000 series had the old glass-fibre cab that was originally developed for Foden by Motor Panels.

Ahhh so it’s simply a Foden cab…but the front grill/panel does look very similar to the old (Leyland) DAF 95 one I think.

Here’s the comparison for you:

haha… totally different apart from both having those three sections, which is what made me think that.