Seddon & Atkinson in Holland

ERF-Continental:
Another Belgian Seddon, this time a 4x2 chassis for transport of fuels. First registration is 1963
and the Seddon 14-4-400 type was powered by a 140bhp Leyland.

this cab was made by Ateliers Bollekens, Duffel Belgium.

mandator:

ERF-Continental:
Another Belgian Seddon, this time a 4x2 chassis for transport of fuels. First registration is 1963
and the Seddon 14-4-400 type was powered by a 140bhp Leyland.

this cab was made by Ateliers Bollekens, Duffel Belgium.

It certainly bears the hallmarks of Bollekens. You can see the characteristic ‘peaked’ roof over the windscreen. Robert

191203094623275859.jpg

Superb contribution, Michel.

A 1961 registration plate, if I’m not mistaken. I wonder who built the cab? Is there an auxiliary engine, pump, winch or other machine under that fat belly?

michel:
191203094623275859.jpg

Superb tractor! It had a 186-hp Mercedes-Benz under the hood. The cab, Wassink did several hauls with tanks towards South France and even parts
of cement-factories to Spain, gave place to sleep and/or a crew on more narrow routes.

Herewith some other Wassink’ pictures

The lorry far right is an Atkinson too

Apparently the Atkinson was suited for long trips…and per subscript trips to Italy and Greece were made

I did some ‘research’ on the cab and quite common the expectation is that Verheul (based in Waddinxveen and close to The Hague)
was responsibble for this strange model. The cab offered quite some room for a crew with the MB-lump in front.

Atkinson 6 wheels.

ERF-Continental:
I did some ‘research’ on the cab and quite common the expectation is that Verheul (based in Waddinxveen and close to The Hague)
was responsibble for this strange model. The cab offered quite some room for a crew with the MB-lump in front.

I agree with the crew cab idea- the ERF “Sabrina” had a similar forward-engine arrangement, for the same reason- to carry more than two people.

I don’t know where the Verheul connection comes from. The Wassink cab does not share a single detail with any Verheul vehicle that I can find. Here is a Verheul crew cab:

6992633241_43539d054d_o.jpg

ERF-Continental:
Superb tractor! It had a 186-hp Mercedes-Benz under the hood. The cab, Wassink did several hauls with tanks towards South France and even parts
of cement-factories to Spain, gave place to sleep and/or a crew on more narrow routes.

I wonder if that was an in-service conversion? Difficult to imagine the factory fitting an MB engine at that time. Similarly with the cab, I wonder if it was supplied as a chassis for local cab fitment, or whether it originally had a factory cab

240 Gardner:

ERF-Continental:

I wonder if that was an in-service conversion? Difficult to imagine the factory fitting an MB engine at that time. Similarly with the cab, I wonder if it was supplied as a chassis for local cab fitment, or whether it originally had a factory cab

Good deductions. Presumably, engine was chosen for its power advantage over Gardner. IIRC, the 6LXB was launched in 1968. Prior to that, their most powerful lorry engine was the 8LW150. Was the Leyland 680 available in Atkinson chassis, I wonder? Whatever, it seems this operator wanted a European engine.

In those years chassis came without cab to meet local requirements and reduction of customs in case of ckd-kits.

Most probably Verheul or De Graaff were involved for this cab…bear in mind that Verheul had many spokes in
the automotive wheel…being a brand for lorries and busses, assembly for Kromhout and as a normal cab- and
bodybuilder…or at least Verheul would not imitate/copy their own branded cabs for lorries to 3rd party buyers
rather than selling those customer a ‘real’ Verheul. Would Maserati sell their shell/body towards a 3rd party? Bizar

The MB-engine was most probably on hand and available from another lorry (after an accident…■■?) ■■?

ERF-Continental:
Some pictures…Cuvelje from Hoornaar (near Gorinchem and still in transport) was a loyal Atkinson-customer

Great pictures, but why does the four wheel Kaas Transporter have two Albion badges on the grille?
The upper One, displaying the saltire and thistle looks like the badges Albion used to indicate which model it was, and I’m pretty sure that the lower badge will say “Albion Oil Engine”.

Send for Miss Marple/ Maigret/ Clouseau and the wee Belgian with the waxed mouser.
The Nation needs to know.!! :laughing:

[zb]
anorak:
Good deductions. Presumably, engine was chosen for its power advantage over Gardner. IIRC, the 6LXB was launched in 1968. Prior to that, their most powerful lorry engine was the 8LW150. Was the Leyland 680 available in Atkinson chassis, I wonder? Whatever, it seems this operator wanted a European engine.

1966, actually :wink: Of course there was the 6LX 150 too, although it had to manage with a 25% shortfall in the cylinder department.

I can’t recall ever seeing a Leyland-engined Atkinson, although AEC engines were an option until the early 1960s, having first been fitted during wartime when Gardners were being used elsewhere. There were a pair of Leyland-cabbed Atkinsons built in Australia, but that’s another story

A Seddon-VanTwist of Holland (with BUCA-bodywork) as well as some documents on Ets. Hocké who have been
Seddon- and (after the merge with) Atkinson-distributors in Belgium.

Quite frequently something pops up…

A rare Seddon-Van Twist with cab and body from Medema Appingedam

A rare Atkinson from Cuveljé Hoornaar as earlier but now from another
angle. Cuveljé was very loyal to Atkinson and had several of them. Till
1951 all chassis had local registration-plates from which you could see
out of which province (sort of county) the chassis came. It also was a
personal registration, meaning that when the chassis was sold, the plate
stayed with the owner and not with the chassis

Seddon-VanTwist-1951-Medema-Appingedam.jpg

Another Dutch Seddon…

De_Alblas_tankauto_met_vloeibare_zuurstof.jpg

Nice found Robert!

Herewith another picture of the bonnetted Seddon-VanTwists.

Van Laarhoven and Kempen were wellknown suppliers of sand
in the Eindhoven-region as well as contractors. Van Laarhoven
also had Macks and had a facility in the Eindhoven-harbour to
load-unload boats. Kempen of Westerhoven (South of Eindhoven)
was later very loyal to Scania with bonnet and had their HQ in
the centre of Eindhoven. Unknown what happened…possibly
absorbed into another company.

Seddon-Van-Twist-VanLaarhoven-Kempen.png

I know this Seddon is in France or Belgium but it has a place on here. It was posted on the Saviem thread this afternoon. Ro

85139172_2410233309081617_4679205494185787392_n.jpg