Seddon & Atkinson in Holland

240 Gardner:

ERF-Continental:
Some pictures…Cuvelje from Hoornaar (near Gorinchem and still in transport) was a loyal Atkinson-customer

Marvellous Atki photos, Robert! Not seen these before

It’s Albert-Jan you need to thank, not me :wink: ! Robert

It’s confusing over here…Robert, Albert, ERF European, ERF Continental, but good that the subject is popular! :slight_smile:

Perhaps 240 Gardner can confirm the “Douwe Egberts”-chassis is an Atkinson too? The small (seven) bars in the
grille are more or less similar (but smaller in width) than other Atkinsons. Well, it’s not a DAF which then also had
seven or six bars in the grille.

Further on…DOuwe Egberts had a factory at Utrecht (centre of Holland) and that is very close to Gorinchem the
place where Atkinson-importer “Garage C. van Mill” had its outlet.

Nice day,

A-J

A small step from Holland to Belgium and herewith some nice examples from 6x4 chassis.

Also the Dutch Atkinson 8x4 (type LL1586A) from J. Termaat transport. Picture is found
on the internet but I recall it was published in the book on the history of Seddon Atkinson.

Another Belgian Seddon, this time a 4x2 chassis for transport of fuels. First registration is 1963
and the Seddon 14-4-400 type was powered by a 140bhp Leyland.

Enough for today? :slight_smile:

Seddon-LeRoyal-Diamant.jpg

Still some treasures found

To my opinion the cab was quite modern and roomy or…?

More on Hocké soon

Seddon-Mk12-1956-Brussels-Hocke.jpg

More on Ets. Hocké…

Jean Hocké started in 1922 with a company to sell and reconstruct lorries in Schaarbeek, in the North
of Brussels. It was not long after WW1 and demand for all sorts of vehicles and adaptions was very high.
Various types of dump-trucks that were left on the continent went their way to the transport-companies.

His son Robert and later the grand-children Didier and Christian expanded the company (Ets. J. Hocké)
to a large company able to meet any demand in transport. The location was 30, rue Gaucheret in Brussels.

In 1952 (when marques like REO and Seddon were reprensented) Jean Hocké decided to move over to new
buildings with ample parking place in Groot Bijgaarden at 13, Alfons Gossetlaan. Unknown is when also
Berliet (previously represented by Spitaels from Antwerp) and M.A.N. came in the sales-range.

In 1961 Hocké formed Hocké Holland at 105,Laageinde in Waalwijk, (Southern Netherlands, near Den Bosch)
and then also Steyr was added to the sales-range. As Kemper&Van Twist of Schiedam/Dordrecht stopped
representing Seddon to continue (till about 1965) with their ‘own’ marque “Van Twist” also Seddon was a
part of the sales-range then. Around the mid-seventies the sales-office and workshop of Hocké Holland
stopped, apparently from then to be managed/serviced from Hocké Belgium.

Nowadays, Hocké still exists and represents Iveco and M.A.N. was brought under the own M.A.N.-factory.

Herewith some pictures

Seddon-VanTwist-1951.jpg

Hocké-Logo.png

Meanwhile I have been informed that import/assembly of M.A.N. started in 1956 for Hocké Belgium.

Herwith a picture during the promotion of Reo-trucks, somewhere in the beginning of the fifties.
Unknown who stand in front, possibly Jean Hocké?

ERF-NGC-European:

240 Gardner:

ERF-Continental:
Some pictures…Cuvelje from Hoornaar (near Gorinchem and still in transport) was a loyal Atkinson-customer

Marvellous Atki photos, Robert! Not seen these before

It’s Albert-Jan you need to thank, not me :wink: ! Robert

Well thank you Albert-Jan! :slight_smile:

ERF-Continental:
It’s confusing over here…Robert, Albert, ERF European, ERF Continental, but good that the subject is popular! :slight_smile:

Perhaps 240 Gardner can confirm the “Douwe Egberts”-chassis is an Atkinson too? The small (seven) bars in the
grille are more or less similar (but smaller in width) than other Atkinsons. Well, it’s not a DAF which then also had
seven or six bars in the grille.

Further on…DOuwe Egberts had a factory at Utrecht (centre of Holland) and that is very close to Gorinchem the
place where Atkinson-importer “Garage C. van Mill” had its outlet.

Nice day,

A-J

Honestly I can’t tell, because I doubt it would have left the factory as anything more than a chassis or a chassis/scuttle. Everything visible would have been built locally, I think

Nice thread! I wonder what else A-J will unearth. Robert

And now some small gems, from the same 1951-Handbook “Requeil de l’automobile de Belgique 1951”
with in total more than 650 pages referring to the extensive automotive sector in Belgium.

On M.A.N. it appears Hocké was in business in or since 1951 and not starting in 1956.

ERF-NGC-European:
Slightly later Seddons were imported by Hocke of Waalwijk and Brussels. Did they take over from Van Twist or did they work alongside them time-wise? Robert

On your early question Robert…Van Twist (officially Kemper & Van Twist as they were strong in Perkins for yachts and
Kemper was in charge as a former shipbuilder) sold Seddon to Hocké Holland in 1962. Till now no exact data on when
Hocké Belgium started with Seddon, but the picture on the soap-delivery, Le Royal/Diamant from Dottignies, was made
before 1953 as from that year the registrations did change from six numbers to combinations with letters as well.

A bit of topic but here some info on Berliet and Steyr, represented by Hocké.

ERF-Continental:
And now some small gems, from the same 1951-Handbook “Requeil de l’automobile de Belgique 1951”
with in total more than 650 pages referring to the extensive automotive sector in Belgium.

On M.A.N. it appears Hocké was in business in or since 1951 and not starting in 1956.

Did they also import Magirus? if so, I wonder if Hocke had any part in Magirus’s adoption of the Seddon 4-wheeler…

58536774f35f31c6bb3714d7e04ea9db.jpg

Robert

seddondeutz.jpg

Honestly…I have no clue about the joint venture between Seddon and Deutz but for engine reasons
in case Perkins etc had capacity-problems and the air-cooled KHD was an option?

Commercial Motor had an article on this joint venture

On Magirus-Deutz in Belgium…since early 1950 Ets Gerard Rammelaere from Ostend (at sea) was
representing this German marque.

CM-7-7-1967.jpg

To start the week with some gems…

Hocké had a concessionaire in Brussels (see advertisement) and in the hocké 50 years leaflet (page 1)
of Hocké Holland, also dealers were asked for several regions. So the start of a national network.

Quite some time ago Eric (aka tip-top) inputted a Seddon from Lecloux Belgium. Also in this case the
type is from before the year 1953 as then the registrations had a combination of letters and numbers.

From a 1956 pricelist (issued during the Brussels’ Exhibition) herewith the prices for Seddon (represented
by Ets. Hocké) and Atkinson (unknown who represented this marque then) in Belgian Francs.

Atkinson-Belgium-1956.JPG

Seddon-Belgium-1956-B.JPG

Seddon-Belgium-1956-A.JPG

This was on the Saviem thread today :wink: . Robert

71328923_748872732229191_7254960298572906496_n.jpg

Robert, thank you for reminding me with this Seddon…and I will again request Messrs. Garage Van Mill on
their representation for Seddon in Holland.