Seddon & Atkinson in Holland

@Robert…thank you and it has been posted earlier…origin Belgium, Dottignies

Posted by Coomsey this morning on another thread:

FB_IMG_1635366002211.jpg

And this was on the Saviem thread:

NMP off FB

FB_IMG_1636982603172.jpg

Thank you Coomsey for this post and input…meaning that a “Dutch” Seddon made a home-trip to Britain?

I am not thoroughly informed on the ‘original’ semi-bonnetted Seddons in Britain…perhaps as with the ERF
type Sabrina this Seddon was popular with breweries?

ERF-Continental:
Thank you Coomsey for this post and input…meaning that a “Dutch” Seddon made a home-trip to Britain?

I am not thoroughly informed on the ‘original’ semi-bonnetted Seddons in Britain…perhaps as with the ERF

I think the bonneted Seddon would have been Belgian registered. Whitbread had all sorts of LHD Belgian-registered units over the years running trailers into Antwerpen to be sent unaccompanied (I believe) to Tilbury where a UK-reg unit would load them at Whitbread’s in Maidstone and later Faversham (ex-Fremlins). Later units included a LHD Bedford TM on Belgian plates (see below). Indeed, I seem to remember a shot of an unaccompanied Whitbread tanker being loaded onto the Bardic Ferry at Tilbury in that 1960 British Transport film called ‘Ferry Load’. It’s unlikely that the bonneted Seddon ever saw British soil in service.

Fullscreen capture 10282013 121451 PM.jpg.jpg

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

I think the bonneted Seddon would have been Belgian registered. Whitbread had all sorts of LHD Belgian-registered units over the years running trailers into Antwerpen to be sent unaccompanied (I believe) to Tilbury where a UK-reg unit would load them at Whitbread’s in Maidstone and later Faversham (ex-Fremlins). Later units included a LHD Bedford TM on Belgian plates (see below). Indeed, I seem to remember a shot of an unaccompanied Whitbread tanker being loaded onto the Bardic Ferry at Tilbury in that 1960 British Transport film called ‘Ferry Load’. It’s unlikely that the bonneted Seddon ever saw British soil in service.

That’s what comes of me thinking I know what’s what :unamused: Did they sell the bonneted version in the UK Robert ?

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

That’s what comes of me thinking I know what’s what :unamused: Did they sell the bonneted version in the UK Robert ?

Yes, there were a few four wheeler tippers around in the sixties.

Pete.

windrush:

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

Yes, there were a few four wheeler tippers around in the sixties.

Pete.

I’ve never seen one Pete, I’ll have a root round. There didn’t seem to have been many Seddons our way. One of my gaffers,Horace Fowkes, had a H reg 8whlr , love of his life, I had her for a day n he was welcome to it

Atkinson / Europe 1968.

atkinson europe 1968.PNG

As above 1968.

atkinson belgium 68.PNG

coomsey:

ERF-NGC-European:

ERF-Continental:

I doubt it - and I never saw one- because of our tight nose-to-tail length regs. Even then, I notice that the Belgian trailer is very short. The tankers shown in the film I quoted were also short: about 8m long.

EDIT to say I notice that Windrush has posted that they were available here as tippers. That makes sense as there were plenty of bonneted tippers around in those days. I was thinking of tractive units of course.

DEANB:
Atkinson / Europe 1968.

That’ll be about the Krupp-cabbed Atkinson CLTs. It didn’t work out. They only made about 10. I’ll bump up the relevant thread and pop this cutting on it. :wink:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Atkinson / Europe 1968.

That’ll be about the Krupp-cabbed Atkinson CLTs. It didn’t work out. They only made about 10. I’ll bump up the relevant thread and pop this cutting on it. :wink:

According to the cutting it covered Holland,Belgium and Luxembourg.

DEANB:

ERF-NGC-European:

DEANB:
Atkinson / Europe 1968.

According to the cutting it covered Holland,Belgium and Luxembourg.

Yes, the Benelux countries. At least one Belgian company ran a CLT. The only other Atkinsons mentioned on this thread are clearly exports chassis with local cabs and predate your cuttings by nearly a decade.

Found on the net (NMP) a Seddon in Belgium for milk-deliveries

The Seddon Diesel Mk12 NC was primarily an export model but like most export makes a few found themselves with UK owners and run in this country, the Mk12 Forward Control being mainly for the home market. The Mk12 NC had a gross weight of 12 Tons but being 3Ton 15cwt 2 qtrs unladen it could manage a payload of over 8Ton. It had the Perkins P6 engine at 108bhp. Franky.

Geordielad:
The Seddon Diesel Mk12 NC was primarily an export model but like most export makes a few found themselves with UK owners and run in this country, the Mk12 Forward Control being mainly for the home market. The Mk12 NC had a gross weight of 12 Tons but being 3Ton 15cwt 2 qtrs unladen it could manage a payload of over 8Ton. It had the Perkins P6 engine at 108bhp. Franky.

Good find! It’s astonishing what relevant stuff people unearth on here. :sunglasses:

For those who are/were interested in the CLT-Krupp-cabbed Atkinson and what Seddon and Atkinson did on the continent.

Happy reading

Both Atkinson and Seddon were a sort of playball between several more of less dedicated entrepreneurs.

Atkinson in Belgium was under the umbrella of Brossel for some years, however main business of Brossel
was their own production and sales for several breweries , whereas in Holland garage C. van Mill from
Gorinchem, had some local business, mainly cheese-transporters like Cuveljé from Hoornaar, nearby.

Seddon was represented, though soon Van Mill saw that with some changes a new ‘own’ product would
and could be effective…the Seddon-Van Twist and later Hocké from Brussels-region (started more early
after Brossel threw in the towel) proceeded the business, along with Berliet and Steyr as well as with two
outlets in Waalwijk (Holland) and Belgium.

Hocké had 'nothing to do with the end of sixties ‘struggle’ when Atkinson Vehicles was established and very
soon found an end.

Hocké publicity end of the 50th.