Securing reels with trailer straps

the maoster:
If you were carrying them on the roll and were daft enough to use only a backscotch and not bother with hammering chocs in behind each reel then I’m not surprised you felt some movement!

It seems strange how no one else in the queue to load,like me,had a truck full of seperate ‘chocks’ nailed into the load deck for every row of reels and all did it the same way just as the guvnor told me he wanted it done.But yes in an ideal world I’d have had the time and enough bleedin great big chunks of timber to chock every row front and not just rear.In which case as I said carrying reels on the roll is a mugs game regardless. :unamused:

Carryfast:

the maoster:
If you were carrying them on the roll and were daft enough to use only a backscotch and not bother with hammering chocs in behind each reel then I’m not surprised you felt some movement!

It seems strange how no one else in the queue to load,like me,had a truck full of seperate ‘chocks’ nailed into the load deck for every row of reels and all did it the same way just as the guvnor told me he wanted it done.But yes in an ideal world I’d have had the time and enough bleedin great big chunks of timber to chock every row front and not just rear.In which case as I said carrying reels on the roll is a mugs game regardless. :unamused:

When I was doing reels on flats in the 90s standard equipment was,bag of small wedges,1 strap and tensioner,I reel bar i.e.4ft length of scaffold tube flattened at 1 end,2 body sheets,1flysheet.Stand on trl bang small scotch under each reel as landed,pass strap through rear reel centre and tension,add b/scotch[forgot that] rope and sheet as normal,no probs.
regards dave…

dafdave:

Carryfast:

the maoster:

When I was doing reels on flats in the 90s standard equipment was,bag of small wedges,1 strap and tensioner,I reel bar i.e.4ft length of scaffold tube flattened at 1 end,2 body sheets,1flysheet.Stand on trl bang small scotch under each reel as landed,pass strap through rear reel centre and tension,add b/scotch[forgot that] rope and sheet as normal,no probs.
regards dave…

Best practice decent outfit in the 1990’s v 1980’s cowboy outfit. :bulb: :smiling_imp: :laughing: Bearing in mind no road tax or O licence and a tankful of red diesel from the yard supply to go with the lack of kit.Plenty of rope and a back scotch a few tatty old worn out sheets and/or a tilt cover that’s it.While I obviously didn’t seem to be alone in that regard.So not surprising how I came to get my view of carrying reels on the roll. :open_mouth:

Although as I said even given the best case scenario I’d still prefer to have them on end. :wink:

Carryfast:

dafdave:

Carryfast:

the maoster:

regards dave…

Best practice decent outfit in the 1990’s v 1980’s cowboy outfit. :bulb: :smiling_imp: :laughing: Bearing in mind no road tax or O licence and a tankful of red diesel from the yard supply to go with the lack of kit.Plenty of rope and a back scotch a few tatty old worn out sheets and/or a tilt cover that’s it. :open_mouth:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards dave.

dafdave:
:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:
regards dave.

Ironically I walked away after an argument about being expected to run up to the Midlands do multiple collections of structural steel then multi drop it all in/around London in one shift for one example.Nothing to do with being expected to haul dodgy loads of reels around.The stupidity of being young and naive. :smiling_imp: :open_mouth:

Carryfast:

the maoster:

You didn’t need great chunks of timber, just a slack handful of wedges would do it. Remember the five P’s CF. general haulage in the 80’s was all about being prepared for any and every load. Hell I used to carry Warwicks and chains on my unit even though less than 10% of our work was steel. I’d rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

years at upm shotton / tilbury with straps/ or with out never ad a prob !!!

the maoster:
You didn’t need great chunks of timber, just a slack handful of wedges would do it. Remember the five P’s CF. general haulage in the 80’s was all about being prepared for any and every load. Hell I used to carry Warwicks and chains on my unit even though less than 10% of our work was steel. I’d rather have something and not need it than need it and not have it.

Not sure about the idea of small ‘wedges’ ? being much better than nothing to stop heavy reels trying to get free when placed on the roll. :confused: I’d have gone for timbers fixed to the floor by choice.

But to give an idea this muppet thought ropes were good enough for every job.Bearing in mind steel for the building trade formed a large part of his work.With hindsight it’s ironic that I walked away more because of arguments about his attitudes to hours.Than the similar arguments I’d had with him over kit.When I thought the council was bad enough in that regard.

I miss doing reels, (sigh). Collect at UPM Shotton and then call at Chester services for a brew en route to deliver to Oldham or wherever, then back to UPM. (Call in Chester services for a brew before I get there).

Back to the yard with the load from UPM…nip in to Chester services on the way past for another brew…

I never strapped them for years and never had one move…glad I don’t do curtains now very often couldn’t be arsed with all this crap

Internal straps are a total waste of time in reality for anything heavy, drivers just use them as a token gesture to show effort.

They have their uses, such as supporting flimsy pallets/unstable loads, but don’t tell me they are suitable for securing a 3 tonne paper reel.

Carried them when on rigids, always used ratchets no matter what.

Conan the Librarian:
Right, so a 400kg rated internal strap will hold a 3 tonne reel? Yeah ok.

Ours are rated a lot higher than 400kg.

daftvader:
We still have a job where they are on the roll…But taken of with a clamp truck on a bay…Singles too.Not like the old days.Double stacked and a bar to get them moving…H&s would hate that nowadays…

And unfortunately I found out why. Anyone ever unloaded at Watmaughs at Idle round the back? Its on a hell of a slope and we used to unload reels out the back door. One time I was rolling them back, knocked out a chock and the reel got away from me. It trapped me between it and the reel at the back which wasn’t the problem but I lost my balance and put my hand on the back reel just as the clamp truck picked it up clamping my hand as well. Forkie didn’t stop at first as he thought I was taking the ■■■■ until I didn’t stop screaming. Blew every single blood vessel in my hand, broke all my fingers, left a nice hatch pattern in my skin.

Being young and stupid although I got it put in their accident book I never claimed compo. Next time I went a few months later though they’d changed where we unloaded.

Conor:

Conan the Librarian:
Right, so a 400kg rated internal strap will hold a 3 tonne reel? Yeah ok.

Ours are rated a lot higher than 400kg.

Really? So what are they rated at? I’ve never seen an internal strap hanging from the roof of a curtain with anything other than a 350Dan rating.

I take it the trailer body is also updated then

They do have a picture of a ■■■■■■■■■■ on the side so I guess they are?

I’ve never read as much bollox about carrying reels ever, some on here couldn’t load a ■■■■■■■ rifle never mind a load of reels, how we managed for 30 years hauling '000’s of tons of reels I’ll never know, no wonder the industry is ■■■■■■ ! Bewick. :blush: :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Bewick:
I’ve never read as much bollox about carrying reels ever, some on here couldn’t load a [zb] rifle never mind a load of reels, how we managed for 30 years hauling '000’s of tons of reels I’ll never know, no wonder the industry is [zb] ! Bewick. :blush: :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with that dennis , i’ve carried thousands of reels and never saw the need to strap any . But then i didn’t drive it like i stole it . One of our drivers wouldn’t have a curtainsider , he used two sheets , fly sheet and a short rope round the front and back , never had a problem with them .Dave

rigsby:

Bewick:
I’ve never read as much bollox about carrying reels ever, some on here couldn’t load a [zb] rifle never mind a load of reels, how we managed for 30 years hauling '000’s of tons of reels I’ll never know, no wonder the industry is [zb] ! Bewick. :blush: :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I agree with that dennis , i’ve carried thousands of reels and never saw the need to strap any . But then i didn’t drive it like i stole it . One of our drivers wouldn’t have a curtainsider , he used two sheets , fly sheet and a short rope round the front and back , never had a problem with them .Dave

Its a travesty that loading and roping&sheeting a flat has died out, it was a big part of being a driver for so very long…the only dolly most drivers have heard of nowadays is a Barbie. Mind you , frozen rope wasnt always a barrel of laughs to use :grimacing: