Securing reels with trailer straps

Time and time again I see other drivers securing reels with internal trailer straps. Yes or no is this ok or not?

I always use ratchets but I’m starting to wonder if I’m wasting my time throwing them all over, putting edge protectors on and then tightening them all up when I could just quickly put internals on, seeing as this seems to be the “done thing” more than using ratchets!

Reels on end, Im assuming? Whatever. Do it so YOURE happy with it. I see people driving like fools or loading/securing things their own stupid way, but I`m not about to copy a fool.

Rowley010:
Time and time again I see other drivers securing reels with internal trailer straps. Yes or no is this ok or not?

I always use ratchets but I’m starting to wonder if I’m wasting my time throwing them all over, putting edge protectors on and then tightening them all up when I could just quickly put internals on, seeing as this seems to be the “done thing” more than using ratchets!

Do alot of reels…And i mostly use ratchets & Corners…But on some of the smaller single reels then i use internals…But to be honest.All depends on if you feel comfortable enough securing it that way…If not.Don’t worry about what others are doing…And secure it so that your happy with the load…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I’m probably wrong but I’m led to believe that it’s a ‘class one’ load and therefore it requires ratchet straps. Although it might take some effort to topple them over whilst going round a bend/roundabout I definitely wouldn’t want to test that theory. There is also no harm in using internal straps additionally to that.

I pick up reels, mainly from Smurfitt Kappa, and they make a point of ensuring you’ve got enough Rachet straps, normally 12. Legally, this is the only real way to secure them. I have seen drivers use internals when no one is looking or even use nothing at all. Drive carefully, they don’t move. Its entirely up to you :slight_smile:

Personally it’s a load that I always try and ratchet strap. I just seem to see alot of drivers just using internals.

I heard a story that a truck on its way to smurfitt Kappa WSM lost its load of reels after it left the M5 at J21. Not sure how true that is.so now Smurfitts are quite hot on it. No straps , no load. A few of their sites know its a pain to strap sometimes, so they send some guys to help you, so you don’t slow the place down by holding up a bay.

The places that are hot in it like smurfit and ds smith make sure they provide you all the necessary equipment to assist you in strapping correctly. Such as large steps that mean you can go all the way up to the trailer height to throw your straps through, cardboard corner pieces in case you haven’t got your own, and a pole to put them on with. It’s some of the docks that are a pain that don’t have any of the above which can make strapping with ratchets either hard work or not doable.

R.D:
I heard a story that a truck on its way to smurfitt Kappa WSM lost its load of reels after it left the M5 at J21. Not sure how true that is.so now Smurfitts are quite hot on it. No straps , no load. A few of their sites know its a pain to strap sometimes, so they send some guys to help you, so you don’t slow the place down by holding up a bay.

No excuse I know but I always see drivers taking short cuts because they are given the “hurry up” by loaders and other drivers. When will the penny drop? Rushing about is usually the reason things go wrong in the first place.

Take your (reasonable) time and do it properly or you’ll come unstuck at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I used to do paper reels years ago you never bothered strapping them at all and they never moved. The ones that are around 4ft high should never ever move. There is the chance that cornering hard enough the 8ft high ones could get a lean on I suppose. In the years I was moving paper reels off Hull docks I never heard of anyone ever having any move and everyone used to drive like their arse was on fire.

Can’t see the issue with using internal straps. We use internals to secure the loads at HJ and a couple of straps will quite happily hold a 4 tonne stack of worktops. Given how H&S mental they are and the fact every truck has 15 ratchet straps in a locker, if it were an issue we’d be strapping down every load with ratchet straps. The only loads that get strapped with ratchet straps are board and timber.

Ask yourself whether an internal strap will hold a 3 tonne reel, if you have to swerve suddenly…

Conan the Librarian:
Ask yourself whether an internal strap will hold a 3 tonne reel, if you have to swerve suddenly…

It will. In fact it stands more chance of holding the reel up than a ratchet strap will given the ratchet straps and ratchets I see being used tend not to be as hefty as the 5 tonne rated ones we use, if you were to actually tighten them as much as you should do you’d shag the reel even with corner protectors, and that in the scenario you mentioned one ratchet strap will be trying to stop TWO reels, not one like the internal strap will be.

Conor:

Conan the Librarian:

It will. In fact it stands more chance of holding the reel up than a ratchet strap will given the ratchet straps and ratchets I see being used tend not to be as hefty as the 5 tonne rated ones we use, if you were to actually tighten them as much as you should do you’d shag the reel even with corner protectors, and that in the scenario you mentioned one ratchet strap will be trying to stop TWO reels, not one like the internal strap will be.

Right, so a 400kg rated internal strap will hold a 3 tonne reel? Yeah ok.

I suppose I’m alone in thinking that the big ones were safer on the roll with scotches between them and sheeted in on a flat.

cav551:
I suppose I’m alone in thinking that the big ones were safer on the roll with scotches between them and sheeted in on a flat.

Youre not alone. But only with a good strong headboard on the trailer. And what would H&S make of us rolling em off the back now?

Franglais:

cav551:

Youre not alone. But only with a good strong headboard on the trailer. And what would H&S make of us rolling em off the back now?

We still have a job where they are on the roll…But taken of with a clamp truck on a bay…Singles too.Not like the old days.Double stacked and a bar to get them moving…H&s would hate that nowadays…

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Internals have no real load securing strength to them the strap might be rated to whatever but the strength of the roof they’re attached to is zilch.

Only useful to stop tall pallets swaying and flexing. Certainly not as strong as the curtain itself if the load it tight to it. However, ratchet straps won’t hold reels in extreme conditions and are just window dressing really but at least it looks like you’ve made an effort if that’s what worries you. Whether the H&S risk from not having them on makes the risk to personal injury putting them on is the issue really in my view.

It’s coming back to me now, I remember taking all the bulbs out of the rear lamps before backing onto the bay if they were two high on the roll.

cav551:

Reels were always the load I most disliked.I only ever hauled them on the roll and as I knew it there was only one scotch at the end supposedly helping to hold the lot rolling off the back. :unamused: Which was effectively like asking a chamfered kerb stone to stop a runaway truck.While even at best you could usually feel some slight fore and aft movement between the scotch and head board often loosening the ropes over the load and the scotch after a while which then all had to be re tightened regularly over even medium distance runs.To the point where I decided to run lengths rope from the hooks on the headboard to the rear of the trailer and then pull them down over the ends using more lengths across them which really helped things in that regard.Given the choice I’d prefer to carry the things on end every time.

Carryfast:

cav551:

Reels were always the load I most disliked.I only ever hauled them on the roll and as I knew it there was only one scotch at the end supposedly helping to hold the lot rolling off the back. :unamused: Which was effectively like asking a chamfered kerb stone to stop a runaway truck.While even at best you could usually feel some slight fore and aft movement between the scotch and head board often loosening the ropes over the load and the scotch after a while which then all had to be re tightened regularly over even medium distance runs.To the point where I decided to run lengths rope from the hooks on the headboard to the rear of the trailer and then pull them down over the ends using more lengths across them which really helped things in that regard.Given the choice I’d prefer to carry the things on end every time.

If you were carrying them on the roll and were daft enough to use only a backscotch and not bother with hammering chocs in behind each reel then I’m not surprised you felt some movement!