SDUs new rig

Star down under.:
You’re getting to confused to be rational, claiming my statements to be yours and yours to be mine. When proven wrong, you make an about turn and try to attribute your incorrect statements and lack of knowledge to me. You deliberately muddy the waters, typical of the behaviour of a bsing, clueless braggart.

You clearly stated that I’d need an auto box
You also stated that you could reverse an A triple 100 metres.
Then you stated that the Fuller 15 speed has no splitter.
I equally stated that you’re talking bs on all those counts.
It’s all there in the quotes.

You’re both wrong about the 13 speed Fuller, it’s down to the chassis manufacturer whether they use one or two switches. Peterbilt and IVECO use two, one up and down switch on the front of the stick for the range and a two position thumb slider on the collar for the splitter. Whereas MAN used a three position thumb slider for both.
The 15 speed, as SDU says, has three ranges, a 10 speed with an extra deep reduction range but which does have some overlap with the normal low, now middle range. In that respect it’s like a Foden CF.

Not contradicting you acd, but the purpose of the three postion switch on the 13speed RR, was to prevent the selection of OD in low range. On the fitments you cite, is there a method to prevent such practice? If not, it has converted the 13 to an 18, long before Eaton did so.
Operators here, in the late '60s used to plumb two (air) switches into a 13 speed, overdriving every gear and call them a 17 speed.

A 15 speed could have deep reduction activated by either a duplicate of the high/low button, or a slide switch on the dash. On later and current models, all changes are made on the gearlever knob, similar to the 13 and 18 speed.
The correct sequence, for progressive shifting of the 15 speed (mainly for Carryfast’s benefit) is, deep reduction 1, 2, 3 low 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 high 1,2, 3, 4, 5, which actually only gives 13 usable ratios. The lowest gear is lower than its counterpart in the 13 speed whilst OD, where fitted, is slightly higher in the 15 speed RR.

acd1202:
You’re both wrong about the 13 speed Fuller, it’s down to the chassis manufacturer whether they use one or two switches. Peterbilt and IVECO use two, one up and down switch on the front of the stick for the range and a two position thumb slider on the collar for the splitter. Whereas MAN used a three position thumb slider for both.
The 15 speed, as SDU says, has three ranges, a 10 speed with an extra deep reduction range but which does have some overlap with the normal low, now middle range. In that respect it’s like a Foden CF.

If it’s not a splitter then why the need for two separate switches as opposed to a three way range switch.
Also can you provide any evidence that the blue switch doesn’t/can’t split the two low range blocks of gears IE 1 ( low split ) to 2 ( high split ) and 3 to 4 etc etc just on the switch, as opposed to it only acting as a supposed separate range control switch which would obviously mean it can only switch the whole range of gears as a block from 1 through 5 ?.
Bearing in mind that the video I posted clearly states splitter not range change and I trust him more than SDU to know what he is talking about.IE it’s just a transposed type of hybrid range/splitter like the 13 speed but acting on the low range gears only as opposed to the high range gears only.
Regardless of the fact that some of the 1 to 5 gear ratios overlap with the 5 to 10 ratios.
I totally agree with those who state that the thing is a pointless oddball compared to the 13 speed or 18 speed.

Star down under.:
Not contradicting you acd, but the purpose of the three postion switch on the 13speed RR, was to prevent the selection of OD in low range. On the fitments you cite, is there a method to prevent such practice? If not, it has converted the 13 to an 18, long before Eaton did so.
Operators here, in the late '60s used to plumb two (air) switches into a 13 speed, overdriving every gear and call them a 17 speed.

You’ve contradicted yourself.
In all cases the ‘splitter’ has an interlock with the gear shift/range control.
The 18 speed is just a 13 speed with that interlock taken out so it works on both ranges of gears.
Bearing in mind that my original point was if you can make clean changes ( most/all of the time ) with the ZF 12 speed and drive the Turner 6 speed in the Clydesdale like you stole it then you have no fear of driving any type of box and certainly don’t need a zb auto box.
Now about that 100 metre triple A reverse as a more than half decent A frame pilot I say it can’t be done.

Carryfast:

Star down under.:
You’re getting to confused to be rational, claiming my statements to be yours and yours to be mine. When proven wrong, you make an about turn and try to attribute your incorrect statements and lack of knowledge to me. You deliberately muddy the waters, typical of the behaviour of a bsing, clueless braggart.

You clearly stated that I’d need an auto box You probably would, how long since you’ve driven a modern RoadRanger?
You also stated that you could reverse an A triple 100 metres. I can, but I’m not unique, most experienced triple drivers can.
Then you stated that the Fuller 15 speed has no splitter. It hasn’t, I’m still waiting for you to tell me which gears are split.
I equally stated that you’re talking bs on all those counts. You’re wrong again
It’s all there in the quotes.

Carryfast, you’re quick to refute my facts, but decidedly short on substance or reference supporting your incorrect beliefs, assumptions and pure dreaming.
Your arrogance is only surpassed by your lack of knowledge and inexperience.

Ok, I have seen road trains reversed in a straight line for 200 odd yards …, I don’t have an MC so couldn’t legally do it … but I assure you CF, it is done daily in Australia … you might be able to BS uk drivers but SDU has the upper hand not that he thins he is macho, or comparing sizes … just he has done it ., where as you google youtube.com/watch?v=Q3j6FvzfnRE

Not 200 yards, but it is a quad road train … and a simple FH …

I am sure you will come back with some BS trying to justify your wrong.

Carryfast:

acd1202:

If it’s not a splitter then why the need for two separate switches as opposed to a three way range switch.
Also can you provide any evidence that the blue switch doesn’t/can’t split the two low range blocks of gears IE 1 ( low split ) to 2 ( high split ) and 3 to 4 etc etc just on the switch, as opposed to it only acting as a supposed separate range control switch which would obviously mean it can only switch the whole range of gears as a block from 1 through 5 ?.
Bearing in mind that the video I posted clearly states splitter not range change and I trust him more than SDU to know what he is talking about.IE it’s just a transposed type of hybrid range/splitter like the 13 speed but acting on the low range gears only as opposed to the high range gears only.
Regardless of the fact that some of the 1 to 5 gear ratios overlap with the 5 to 10 ratios.
I totally agree with those who state that the thing is a pointless oddball compared to the 13 speed or 18 speed.

And I thought my brain was filled with pointless information……

I just sent away for this book so I can keep up with all the gearbox discussion. :sunglasses:

Carryfast:

Star down under.:

The 18 speed is just a 13 speed with that interlock taken out so it works on both ranges of gears.
Bearing in mind that my original point was if you can make clean changes ( most/all of the time ) with the ZF 12 speed and drive the Turner 6 speed in the Clydesdale like you stole it then you have no fear of driving any type of box and certainly don’t need a zb auto box.
Now about that 100 metre triple A reverse as a more than half decent A frame pilot I say it can’t be done.

Turner didn’t put a gearbox in a Leyland Clydesdale, it was an Albion 6 speed 'box & I once saw a tipper which had been a demonstrator fitted with an Eaton Yale & Towne gearbox, the Albion one didn’t like being “driven like you’d stole it” I know because I worked in a garage when these were common lorries on the road, I can still recall taking them out, not only in the garage but on the roadside too & repairing them then refitting them there.

The Turner gearboxes you are probably thinking of were a 5 speed box fitted in a Leyland Boxer & Terrier, these were a syncromesh gearbox available in direct or overdrive top gear, also fitted to certain Ford D series & Bedford TK models.

Early model Leyland Freighter’s were fitted with the same Albion 'box but then later models were fitted with the ZF S6-36 'box.

Leyland Reiver’s were fitted with the same Albion 'box but some had a splitter section between the bellhousing & the main box, this gave effectively 10 gears as some ratios overlapped.

Yet again CF you prove your cluelessness as to anything to do with lorries, although I suppose to be fair it’s that long since you’ve ever sat in a lorry you’ve probably forgotten what they look like never mind how to change gear in one.

1970commer:

Carryfast:

Star down under.:

Turner didn’t put a gearbox in a Leyland Clydesdale, it was an Albion 6 speed 'box & I once saw a tipper which had been a demonstrator fitted with an Eaton Yale & Towne gearbox, the Albion one didn’t like being “driven like you’d stole it” I know because I worked in a garage when these were common lorries on the road, I can still recall taking them out, not only in the garage but on the roadside too & repairing them then refitting them there.

The Turner gearboxes you are probably thinking of were a 5 speed box fitted in a Leyland Boxer & Terrier, these were a syncromesh gearbox available in direct or overdrive top gear, also fitted to certain Ford D series & Bedford TK models.

Early model Leyland Freighter’s were fitted with the same Albion 'box but then later models were fitted with the ZF S6-36 'box.

Leyland Reiver’s were fitted with the same Albion 'box but some had a splitter section between the bellhousing & the main box, this gave effectively 10 gears as some ratios overlapped.

Yet again CF you prove your cluelessness as to anything to do with lorries, although I suppose to be fair it’s that long since you’ve ever sat in a lorry you’ve probably forgotten what they look like never mind how to change gear in one.

Firstly I know the difference between the synchro Boxers v the constant mesh Clydesdale.I drove both types.
I’m only going by the descriptions that I’ve seen since of what was actually fitted in the latter because I liked driving it and it was certainly a better nicer shifting box than most cars I had in the day.
As opposed to the typically obstructive Boxer transmission and contrary to your ideas it’s not really possible to make a bad shift with a constant mesh box without everyone knowing it and like you stole it means quick, clean, well matched shifts in all cases.That isn’t going to damage the box.
I didn’t know exactly what was fitted in the Clydesdale that’s why I tried to find out since and the reference to the Turner name is what certainly came up.Possibly erroneously.
That doesn’t make me clueless or any of the other insults thrown my way by SDU and co.
So with all your expertise you’ll obviously be able to tell us why the 15 speed Fuller is a 15 speed 5 over 5 over 5 range change as described by SDU.As opposed to a 5 over 5 with a reduction splitter interlocked to just the lower range.
I’ll leave SDU to provide evidence of that 100 metre reverse with an A triple outfit.

I love how ‘I’m sorry I must have been mistaken’ isn’t in your vocabulary

I think if certain people perhaps started their posts with “it’s my understanding “ and maybe ended with “I’m happy to be corrected of course” their whole internet experience could well be different.

Carryfast:

acd1202:

If it’s not a splitter then why the need for two separate switches as opposed to a three way range switch. To operate the three ranges. One to engage deep reduction,
which can physically be engaged with all ten gears.
Also can you provide any evidence that the blue switch doesn’t/can’t split the two low range blocks of gears IE 1 ( low split ) to 2 ( high split ) and 3 to 4 etc etc just on the switch, as opposed to it only acting as a supposed separate range control switch which would obviously mean it can only switch the whole range of gears as a block from 1 through 5 ?. It’s pretty hard to prove a negative, but I’ll try to explain it in syllables of one or less, for you. When deep reduction is engaged, all gears are impacted. Just stick to automatics, you won’t find yourself halfway up a hill, googling which gear you should be in. Oh, silly me. You won’t find yourself halfway up a hill, in this phase of your welfare career.
Bearing in mind that the video I posted clearly states splitter not range change and I trust him more than SDU to know what he is talking about.IE it’s just a transposed type of hybrid range/splitter like the 13 speed but acting on the low range gears only as opposed to the high range gears only.Either the video is wrong, or your comprehension issue has resurfaced.

It’s my understanding, :wink: that it certainly would be overkill in the situation such as your very brief engagement driving a lightly loaded truck. It most definitely was not oddball, quite the opposite actually, in my country where those deep reduction gears are a godsend, when grossing a hundred ton.
Your arrogant assumption that you know everything severely restrains your horizons. There’s a whole, great big wide world outside your arms length. A world that you could have been part of, if you’d had a modicum of gumption.
I’m happy to be corrected, of course. :wink:

switchlogic:
I love how ‘I’m sorry I must have been mistaken’ isn’t in your vocabulary

I obviously wasn’t mistaken about it being a good constant mesh transmission or the fact that it needed a decent driver to use it.Which was the point.
While I wasn’t responsible for any probably erroneous information regarding the identity of it.In fact I’m grateful to have maybe finally learnt exactly what it actually was.

Fair dinkum cobber :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Carryfast:

1970commer:

Carryfast:

Star down under.:

Firstly I know the difference between the synchro Boxers v the constant mesh Clydesdale.I drove both types. Are you sure? Your previous displays of knowledge don’t instill confidence.
I’m only going by the descriptions that I’ve seen since of what was actually fitted in the latter because I liked driving it and it was certainly a better nicer shifting box than most cars I had in the day.
As opposed to the typically obstructive Boxer transmission and contrary to your ideas it’s not really possible to make a bad shift with a constant mesh box without everyone knowing it and like you stole it means quick, clean, well matched shifts in all cases.That isn’t going to damage the box.
I didn’t know exactly what was fitted in the Clydesdale that’s why I tried to find out since and the reference to the Turner name is what certainly came up.Possibly erroneously.
That doesn’t make me clueless or any of the other insults thrown my way by SDU and co. No it doesn’t, it merely demonstrates so.
So with all your expertise you’ll obviously be able to tell us why the 15 speed Fuller is a 15 speed 5 over 5 over 5 range change as described by SDU.As opposed to a 5 over 5 with a reduction splitter interlocked to just the lower range. Seriously, are you so thick? How many times do you need to be told, the 15speed is not a splitter box.
I’ll leave SDU to provide evidence of that 100 metre reverse with an A triple outfit. Bloody hell Carryfast, both Discoman and I have posted a road train being reversed. Because it doesn’t align with your incorrect narrative, you ignore it. How about you post a video of your marvelous 12 speed ZF being deftly operated.

It’s easy to see why you failed to complete anything and why it was necessary to get you out of the truck and into the warehouse.
You couldn’t drive sheep with a prize collie!

the maoster:
Fair dinkum cobber :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Good effort, keep practicing the accent. :wink:

I’ve watched all of them documentaries with Paul Hogan, Dundee or something so I’m quite au fait with the culture :smiley: :smiley:

the maoster:
I’ve watched all of them documentaries with Paul Hogan, Dundee or something so I’m quite au fait with the culture :smiley: :smiley:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: “Check out Kath & Kim” Aussies extracting the urine from Aussies. :smiley: