SDUs new rig

Will do SDU, cheers

Star down under.:

Carryfast:

acd1202:
You’re both wrong about the 13 speed Fuller, it’s down to the chassis manufacturer whether they use one or two switches. Peterbilt and IVECO use two, one up and down switch on the front of the stick for the range and a two position thumb slider on the collar for the splitter. Whereas MAN used a three position thumb slider for both.
The 15 speed, as SDU says, has three ranges, a 10 speed with an extra deep reduction range but which does have some overlap with the normal low, now middle range. In that respect it’s like a Foden CF.

If it’s not a splitter then why the need for two separate switches as opposed to a three way range switch. To operate the three ranges. One to engage deep reduction,
which can physically be engaged with all ten gears.
Also can you provide any evidence that the blue switch doesn’t/can’t split the two low range blocks of gears IE 1 ( low split ) to 2 ( high split ) and 3 to 4 etc etc just on the switch, as opposed to it only acting as a supposed separate range control switch which would obviously mean it can only switch the whole range of gears as a block from 1 through 5 ?. It’s pretty hard to prove a negative, but I’ll try to explain it in syllables of one or less, for you. When deep reduction is engaged, all gears are impacted. Just stick to automatics, you won’t find yourself halfway up a hill, googling which gear you should be in. Oh, silly me. You won’t find yourself halfway up a hill, in this phase of your welfare career.
Bearing in mind that the video I posted clearly states splitter not range change and I trust him more than SDU to know what he is talking about.IE it’s just a transposed type of hybrid range/splitter like the 13 speed but acting on the low range gears only as opposed to the high range gears only.Either the video is wrong, or your comprehension issue has resurfaced.
Regardless of the fact that some of the 1 to 5 gear ratios overlap with the 5 to 10 ratios.
I totally agree with those who state that the thing is a pointless oddball compared to the 13 speed or 18 speed.

It’s my understanding, :wink: that it certainly would be overkill in the situation such as your very brief engagement driving a lightly loaded truck. It most definitely was not oddball, quite the opposite actually, in my country where those deep reduction gears are a godsend, when grossing a hundred ton.
Your arrogant assumption that you know everything severely restrains your horizons. There’s a whole, great big wide world outside your arms length. A world that you could have been part of, if you’d had a modicum of gumption.
I’m happy to be corrected, of course. :wink:

Firstly it’s obvious that I look up to the Australian and NZ road transport scene as being as good as it gets in terms of kit they can use.
I did make the attempt to move there but unfortunately truck driving doesn’t meet the points based OZ and NZ immigration terms.
Also according to their immigration service a Great Aunt and distant cousins won’t cut it regarding family links either.
All so different to the free movement that we had there shown in the the movie The Cattle Carters.
I think I’d be happy enough with an 18 speed over drive and low diffs behind the MX in an NZ type KW 8 wheeler rigid pulling a 5 axle trailer and prefer the NZ scenery.I’d guess all the aggro of working with umpteen trailers across miles of desert terrain in 50C heat would get old pdq.

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
I love how ‘I’m sorry I must have been mistaken’ isn’t in your vocabulary

I obviously wasn’t mistaken about it being a good constant mesh transmission or the fact that it needed a decent driver to use it.Which was the point.
While I wasn’t responsible for any probably erroneous information regarding the identity of it.In fact I’m grateful to have maybe finally learnt exactly what it actually was.

Nice of you to prove my point

Thanks Carryfast, apology accepted. Next subject you’d like to learn?

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

switchlogic:
I love how ‘I’m sorry I must have been mistaken’ isn’t in your vocabulary

I obviously wasn’t mistaken about it being a good constant mesh transmission or the fact that it needed a decent driver to use it.Which was the point.
While I wasn’t responsible for any probably erroneous information regarding the identity of it.In fact I’m grateful to have maybe finally learnt exactly what it actually was.

Nice of you to prove my point

You obviously missed the ‘point’ IE told that I can’t drive but ironically could handle ( liked/preferred ) the 12 speed ZF and a lot better than all the laughable attempts to drive it that I could find to answer SDUs request.They can’t even upshift the thing let alone attempt to downshift it.
So I wasn’t sure exactly what type of transmission was fitted in the old Clydesdale what I could find suggested Turner.
Which leaves the enigma of whether the 15 speed Fuller is a 5 over 5 with reduction splitter acting only on low range or a 5 over 5 over 5 range change.I guess the test might be if it can be shifted to/from any of the deep reduction gears to/from the normal low or high range gears just on the switch and without having to go through neutral with the shift lever.Bearing in mind the selector instruction plate states that ‘range changes’, using the ‘range change’ switch, ‘must be’ pre selected obviously interlocked and actuated by the shift through neutral in normal range change protocol.In which case all the evidence suggests that the deep reduction is a splitter not a range change.
As for an A triple or more the truth is even SDU will have to break it down to at most a double to reverse it.

I thought you’d gone all coy, embarrassed perhaps at the sudden realisation that you were wrong; but no, you merely retreated, regrouping to continue your argument that white is black.

Carryfast:
You obviously missed the ‘point’ IE told that I can’t drive We all knew that, it’s the reason you were demoted to the warehouse. but ironically could handle ( liked/preferred ) the 12 speed ZF and a lot better than all the laughable attempts to drive it that I could find to answer SDUs request.They can’t even upshift the thing let alone attempt to downshift it. I at least showed you a substitute video, demonstrating that a five point of articulation road train can be reversed. Just because it’s beyond your highly limited skill set, doesn’t mean it’s not possible for others to perform the manoeuvre.
So I wasn’t sure exactly what type of transmission was fitted in the old Clydesdale what I could find suggested Turner. You should have asked me, I drove a Clydesdale coach, in the early learning phase of my career. It was a sweet 'box, easy to get smooth, clutchless changes.
Which leaves the enigma of whether the 15 speed Fuller is a 5 over 5 with reduction splitter acting only on low range or a 5 over 5 over 5 range change.I guess the test might be if it can be shifted to/from any of the deep reduction gears to/from the normal low or high range gears just on the switch and without having to go through neutral with the shift lever.Bearing in mind the selector instruction plate states that ‘range changes’, using the ‘range change’ switch, ‘must be’ pre selected obviously interlocked and actuated by the shift through neutral in normal range change protocol.In which case all the evidence suggests that the deep reduction is a splitter not a range change. There is nothing enigmatic about it. I appreciate that to a non-technical mind, such as yours, it can be hard to decipher, just take the word of those who have used the 'box. I’m still waiting for you to tell which gears are split.
As for an A triple or more the truth is even SDU will have to break it down to at most a double to reverse it. As previously pointed out, just because you lack the ability, it doesn’t follow that others also lack the skill. My mantra is, work smart, not hard. Why on earth would I, or any of the other thousands of road train drivers, uncouple and recouple, multiple times, make two reverses, when a single manoeuvre will achieve the same result?

Carryfast, you’re making a laughing stock of yourself, arguing with knowledgeable and experienced folk, on subjects with which you have neither of the above attributes. Not only on this thread, you have a demonstrated, uninformed opinion on so many subjects that arise here.

You continually harp on about your amazing skill with the antiquated ZF, in you typical overstatement of your achievements. The reality being that better than 99% of forum members would be able to master it, within a day.

Come down to earth and stop proving what everyone believes about you.

Star down under.:
I thought you’d gone all coy, embarrassed perhaps at the sudden realisation that you were wrong; but no, you merely retreated, regrouping to continue your argument that white is black.

Carryfast:
You obviously missed the ‘point’ IE told that I can’t drive We all knew that, it’s the reason you were demoted to the warehouse. but ironically could handle ( liked/preferred ) the 12 speed ZF and a lot better than all the laughable attempts to drive it that I could find to answer SDUs request.They can’t even upshift the thing let alone attempt to downshift it. I at least showed you a substitute video, demonstrating that a five point of articulation road train can be reversed. Just because it’s beyond your highly limited skill set, doesn’t mean it’s not possible for others to perform the manoeuvre.
So I wasn’t sure exactly what type of transmission was fitted in the old Clydesdale what I could find suggested Turner. You should have asked me, I drove a Clydesdale coach, in the early learning phase of my career. It was a sweet 'box, easy to get smooth, clutchless changes.
Which leaves the enigma of whether the 15 speed Fuller is a 5 over 5 with reduction splitter acting only on low range or a 5 over 5 over 5 range change.I guess the test might be if it can be shifted to/from any of the deep reduction gears to/from the normal low or high range gears just on the switch and without having to go through neutral with the shift lever.Bearing in mind the selector instruction plate states that ‘range changes’, using the ‘range change’ switch, ‘must be’ pre selected obviously interlocked and actuated by the shift through neutral in normal range change protocol.In which case all the evidence suggests that the deep reduction is a splitter not a range change. There is nothing enigmatic about it. I appreciate that to a non-technical mind, such as yours, it can be hard to decipher, just take the word of those who have used the 'box. I’m still waiting for you to tell which gears are split.
As for an A triple or more the truth is even SDU will have to break it down to at most a double to reverse it. As previously pointed out, just because you lack the ability, it doesn’t follow that others also lack the skill. My mantra is, work smart, not hard. Why on earth would I, or any of the other thousands of road train drivers, uncouple and recouple, multiple times, make two reverses, when a single manoeuvre will achieve the same result?

Carryfast, you’re making a laughing stock of yourself, arguing with knowledgeable and experienced folk, on subjects with which you have neither of the above attributes. Not only on this thread, you have a demonstrated, uninformed opinion on so many subjects that arise here.

You continually harp on about your amazing skill with the antiquated ZF, in you typical overstatement of your achievements. The reality being that better than 99% of forum members would be able to master it, within a day.

Come down to earth and stop proving what everyone believes about you.

If I was supposedly ‘demoted’ from driver to ‘warehouse’ labourer’ then so was every other driver subject to the same union ‘agreement’ that resulted in your bs so called ‘demotion’.
Bearing in mind that the job title of class 1 Feeder Driver remained.The truth is that every Carryfast night trunk driver’s job was illegally degraded by the UPS take over.As opposed to those of the former Seabourne operation given the correct title of Linehaul drivers and as such were not subject to the same ‘agreement’ as part of that.Notice no comments by UPS refuting my claims as opposed to your laughable personalised insults.
As for your question which gears of the 15 speed are split by the blue switch.Thats bleedin obvious in being the 5 gears of the low range.
So are you saying that it’s actually just a separate range switch and which obviously means preselected and only actuated by the shift through neutral as normal for a range change ?.Which was the civil question I asked .Which as usual you covered your inability to understand let alone answer the question with more personal insults.
As for the rest of your insulting bs as I said you protest far too much.The fact is you nor anyone else can reverse an A triple 100 metres which sums up your bs claims of superiority.
While if over 99% of drivers can handle A frames and constant mesh transmissions then why the rush to close coupled trailers and auto let alone synchro transmissions.
Bearing in mind it was you who threw in the auto box comment first for some reason not me.

Star down under.:
Carryfast, you’re making a laughing stock of yourself, arguing with knowledgeable and experienced folk,

At least unlike you I understand the difference between an A train v a B train.100 metres good luck with that.

youtu.be/DGBUgXpmBho

youtu.be/TFO5nbw7CMc

Carryfast:
Notice no comments by UPS refuting my claims not me.

Indeed as I’m sure global giant UPS follows with keen interest what an anonymous driver says on a drivers forum in UK. Your criticism must be crippling their image, I’m not sure they’ll recover from this to be honest

I’ll type slowly in the hopes this sinks in, Carryfast. :laughing:
The blue switch is a relatively recent method of range selection, it locks out selection of deep reduction, in high range.
The traditional method of range selection was either by two identical switches on the lever, or a slide switch on the dash, to select deep reduction.
Take special note. I’ll repeat this, purely for your benefit.
The correct sequence for progressive shifting of the gearbox in question is as follows:
Deep reduction, low range: 1, 2, 3,
Lift the button/slide the switch, disengaging deep reduction.
Low range: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Lift the high/low button.
High range: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

An alternative sequence being:
Deep reduction, low range: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Low range: 3, 4, 5.
High range: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
The former method transfers the torque through a more efficient and stronger path
Tell me, which gears are split, in either sequence?

Here’s a picture, in case you are having difficulty following.
youtu.be/aDYJ9IxwDRo
Again, which gears are split?

Insults? What you’re taking offence at is the truth, a truth that shows you for what you are, as opposed to the doyen that you’re trying to project yourself as.
Normally I can tolerate fools, but when they’re persistently foolish, I tend to loose patience and call them out. We, and I include myself, all have foolish moments but you’ve made it a lifestyle.
It was YOU who said you were made a “warehouses operative” and used as a “human forklift”. What you actually meant, seemingly, is that you were expected to assist in the loading and unloading of your truck. That’s a normal part of the role of a truck driver! You squealed like a stuck pig, at having to perform a bit of physical activity and I put it to you, that you tried playing the injured worker card. It backfired badly, when the company didn’t consider you an asset worth keeping. A life on benefits was a far more attractive proposition than having to exert any physical effort.
I’m still interested in how many of your co-workers “had their backs broken”.
I could be wrong, but doubt I’m far off the truth.

As for my ability, or the ability of any road train drivers, to reverse a triple, I care not a jot what a gobby, insignificant bloke from the other side of the world, for whom I have zero respect, claims to believe. You’ve been shown twice, once by me and once by another member, a video proving it can be done. If you don’t believe your own eyes, you’re the one with a problem, not me.

Star down under.:
I’ll type slowly in the hopes this sinks in, Carryfast. :laughing:
The blue switch is a relatively recent method of range selection, it locks out selection of deep reduction, in high range.
The traditional method of range selection was either by two identical switches on the lever, or a slide switch on the dash, to select deep reduction.
Take special note. I’ll repeat this, purely for your benefit.
The correct sequence for progressive shifting of the gearbox in question is as follows:
Deep reduction, low range: 1, 2, 3,
Low range: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
High range: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

An alternative sequence being:
Deep reduction, low range: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
Low range: 3, 4, 5.

You do know that Eaton’s own driver instruction manual for the 15 speed calls the blue deep reduction switch a splitter switch not a range control.
It also states that the correct way to use it is exactly the same as the 13 speed splitter.
IE switch from deep reduction split directly to low range just using the throttle to interrupt the torque delivery. You don’t/shouldn’t preselect nor go through neutral with the gearshift.You seem to be confusing the fact that there is obviously no need to even use the deep reduction regarding the few conflicting duplicate ratios.
Just like you nor anyone else could reverse an A triple let alone quad for 100 metres.Which is why you had to show a video of a bleedin B train to fit your bs narrative.

Pam Ayres meets Carryfast. :laughing:
youtu.be/Y4oydSZTAns

> Star down under.:
> Pam Ayres meets Carryfast. :laughing:
> youtu.be/Y4oydSZTAns

Brilliant Starry :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Star down under.:
youtu.be/Y4oydSZTAns

Good one mate…

:smiley:

Star down under.:
youtu.be/Y4oydSZTAns

Worked it out yet, Carryfast?

The penny must have eventually dropped with Carryfast, he’s realised he’s been wrong all along and gone quiet with humiliation.

Star down under.:
The penny must have eventually dropped with Carryfast, he’s realised he’s been wrong all along and gone quiet with humiliation.

Don’t speak too soon. He’s just been medicated and as soon as it wears off he’ll be back, unless he tried fighting them off and then the restraits stop him using the keyboard. :smiley:

Where are you Carryfast? I thought you would have been up at the crack of midday. :laughing: :laughing:

He’s got a job-at last-driving a B train to a land far, far away where the internet is just a figment of the imagination-oh shoot that means he’ll be back on very soon :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: :frowning: