Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Ray Smyth:

Froggy55:
What’s the make & model of the car on last picture? Doesn’t look British. Thanks.

From memory, I am fairly sure that this Vauxhall is a Vauxhall Velox. The Cresta and Wyvern were a bit more upmarket.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Definitely an E Series Wyvern. They had the 4-cylinder 1507cc engine, whereas the Velox and Cresta had a 6-cylinder 2262cc engine. Cresta was the top model, having more chrome and upmarket features as standard.

Buzzer:
Buzzer

The Sayers of Brough business card is interesting as the main man was Watson ( Watty) Sayer aka “King of the Pennines” he had quite an operation in the 50’s and into the 60’s until it all folded but I’m not sure whether it was on his passing but they were Guy & Commer agents at Brough and I believe BMC car dealers in Kirkby Stephen. They also had a quarry that supplied stone to the steel works on Teesside as well as Contract Milk tankers for Express dairies at Appleby. But one incident that hit the national headlines was an enormous neon sign Watty erected ( without planning permission) on the forecourt at Brough which was reputed to be seen from Morecambe !!! Anyway when eventually the Westmorland C. Council finally had to institute removal proceedings Watty borrowed a Shorthorn Bull from a farmer mate and tethered it to the sign !!! I kid you not ! and the local constabulary sent an officer who was an ex farm hand to remove the bull ! The whole incident was well publicised in both the local and national press at the time. Apparently it was hilarious to watch when the copper in his mac and crash hat tried to un tether the bull. There would be hell on today if the same protest was mounted I guess but those were the days ! :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ray Smyth:

Froggy55:
What’s the make & model of the car on last picture? Doesn’t look British. Thanks.

From memory, I am fairly sure that this Vauxhall is a Vauxhall Velox. The Cresta and Wyvern were a bit more upmarket.

Cheers, Ray Smyth.

Thanks to all for your answers!

Buzzer

289817799_5795443377149760_8375746171988523931_n.jpg

288529767_1199462990849846_9014921626561329296_n.jpg

289371464_5267857106612786_2280615209308719178_n (2).jpg

Bewick:

Buzzer:
Buzzer

The Sayers of Brough business card is interesting as the main man was Watson ( Watty) Sayer aka “King of the Pennines” he had quite an operation in the 50’s and into the 60’s until it all folded but I’m not sure whether it was on his passing but they were Guy & Commer agents at Brough and I believe BMC car dealers in Kirkby Stephen. They also had a quarry that supplied stone to the steel works on Teesside as well as Contract Milk tankers for Express dairies at Appleby. But one incident that hit the national headlines was an enormous neon sign Watty erected ( without planning permission) on the forecourt at Brough which was reputed to be seen from Morecambe !!! Anyway when eventually the Westmorland C. Council finally had to institute removal proceedings Watty borrowed a Shorthorn Bull from a farmer mate and tethered it to the sign !!! I kid you not ! and the local constabulary sent an officer who was an ex farm hand to remove the bull ! The whole incident was well publicised in both the local and national press at the time. Apparently it was hilarious to watch when the copper in his mac and crash hat tried to un tether the bull. There would be hell on today if the same protest was mounted I guess but those were the days ! :sunglasses: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Sounds similar to a case a few years ago, David Cannon a farmer from Ponteland had along running dispute with Nat West Bank and he ended up taking the muck spreader, fully loaded, to a couple of the local branches and spraying the entrances and windows.
Tyneside

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ford V8 Pilot?

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ford V8 Pilot?

Spot on, 1948 reg From Dundee. Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ford V8 Pilot?

The doctor who was a neighbour of my grandparents in Manchester had one. I was friendly with his son whenever I visited for a week or so, and greatly admired that powerful motor. That would be in the 1950s.

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ford V8 Pilot?

The doctor who was a neighbour of my grandparents in Manchester had one. I was friendly with his son whenever I visited for a week or so, and greatly admired that powerful motor. That would be in the 1950s.

In my youth a mate had a total fixation on Pilots. He had 3 at once. I thought they were very nice cars. I loved the rather ornate column change lever. Two had Bedford cord cloth upholstery. One had tiny flower vases in the back on the C pillars. Lovely old side valve V8s. Nice.

Hiya,
My Dad had a couple of Ford V8 Pilot’s in the 50s the early
ones having splash lubrication to the crankshaft and bores
and the paddles on the little end caps would snap off if
the engine was revved hard when cold, the engine oil was
thick in those days when cold, the later ones had pumped
lubrication and that cured the lube crank problem but my
experience of them they were’nt a very reliable car when
they became a year or two old, I actually\passed my test
in a very early one in 1953 after I got it started that is.

The Rolling Stones had a V8 Pilot in the early sixties, reg number KAR 365, and it was painted purple with alloy cycle type mudguards. They were regulars in the Reading area as Mick was knocking off Marrianne Faithful who lived in the town, plus their fan club secretary also lived there. I came across it broken down on a country lane in Lower Earley (later the largest housing estate in Europe when it was built in the 70’s!) while out on my bike and watched as Mick and Bill were tinkering under the bonnet. Brian Jones leaned out of the door and shouted “why don’t you f… off kid” to me so away I pedalled! :laughing:

Pete.

IIRC not all Ford Pilots were V8, only the top of the range ones. Not sure what the bog standard one had - a straight six perhaps?

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ford V8 Pilot?

Larry is there a way of dating pre '63 number plates?

essexpete:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ford V8 Pilot?

Yes Ive got a book, History of Motor Vehicle Regs in the UK. Newby Books, Easingwold Y061 3AB, Tel No 01347 821329. Larry.

ERF-NGC-European:
IIRC not all Ford Pilots were V8, only the top of the range ones. Not sure what the bog standard one had - a straight six perhaps?

I think they were all the side valve V8.

Dipster:

ERF-NGC-European:

I think they were all the side valve V8.

IIRC There was a 2.8, V8 and a 3.2 V8 ,The one I owned was the 3.2, Sadley I made it into a Stock Car and raced it at Aycliffe Stadium in the 60s, I still have the old brown log book somewhere in the garage, IIRC It is MTN 248.,Larry.

essexpete:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Spardo:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Ford V8 Pilot?

Could I be cheeky and ask if you can date the plate on my Chaseside?
Thanks
Peter

TEV is a Chelmsford Essex reg no as you likely know but there are two period dates, July 1951 to February 52 and March 1960 to July 1960. Yours will be from the 50’s as it has numbers before the letters. Franky.

Geordielad:
TEV is a Chelmsford Essex reg no as you likely know but there are two period dates, July 1951 to February 52 and March 1960 to July 1960. Yours will be from the 50’s as it has numbers before the letters. Franky.

I think the machine is a '59 but there is a possibility that it was road reg post delivery I guess.