Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Spot on, 1948 reg From Dundee. Larry.
Larry the ATS Dundee three letter system ran for longer than 1948, it started January 1948 and ran up to May 1950 when it changed to BTS June 1950. Many early issued reg numbers ran over years rather than months as they do today. Franky.

Essexpete wrote; I think the machine is a '59 but there is a possibility that it was road reg post delivery I guess.
Ah then it just made it into the reg’s that had numbers before letters 1950’s to 1960’s which ended 1963 when the A letter prefix began. So registered sometime between March and July 1960. Franky.

Lawrence Dunbar:

The man with his elbow leaning on the trailer is my Grandad Smiles who was Curries road forman in those days, They moved onto Scammells in later years, Larry.

This is my great Uncle Tommy Boiston from Fisher Lane Garage Seaton Burn in 1938 with his 1938 Bedford tipper, Larry.

Geordielad:
Essexpete wrote; I think the machine is a '59 but there is a possibility that it was road reg post delivery I guess.
Ah then it just made it into the reg’s that had numbers before letters 1950’s to 1960’s which ended 1963 when the A letter prefix began. So registered sometime between March and July 1960. Franky.

Thank you!
I bought the old machine in 2014 and yet to do much with it. It desperately needs a run up.

youtu.be/HVDZ_V65c6Q

Some great photos there Larry. I take it that was on your Mother’s side?

Yes, a great tradition on both sides, Larry. I have just discovered a very large envelope with lots of similar photos in, but in my case it wasn’t road transport but sea transport. So many of my forebears on both sides were Merchant Navy officers which meant I had to do my stint too, before I discovered lorries. :wink: :smiley:
There are letters too, all still in their envelopes which means that I have exact details of sender, receiver, place, time and date of posting. :smiley:

Spardo:
Yes, a great tradition on both sides, Larry. I have just discovered a very large envelope with lots of similar photos in, but in my case it wasn’t road transport but sea transport. So many of my forebears on both sides were Merchant Navy officers which meant I had to do my stint too, before I discovered lorries. :wink: :smiley:
There are letters too, all still in their envelopes which means that I have exact details of sender, receiver, place, time and date of posting. :smiley:

My father’s family were seafarers, my mother’s folks of the soil. My Dad did his stint at sea with his father in the early 1900s (which he told me gave him the chance to save enough to buy his first house at 21!) before getting involved with motors and transport. He tried to get my brother and I to go to sea too even though he was heavily involved in the garage business. My brother declined and went into the architecture “trade” and I stayed with motors.

Buzzer Thu.

essexpete:
Some great photos there Larry. I take it that was on your Mother’s side?

Yes My Mams mother was a Boiston,And her Dad was a Smiles, Both firms that started up after the 1918 war, Larry.

Lawrence Dunbar:

Nice line up, what were they?

essexpete:

Lawrence Dunbar:

Nice line up, what were they?

Ah!

Buzzer Fri

Yeah, just back it in this 10ft alleyway, drive. She’ll be safe in there. :smiley: