Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

David, when were you in Australia, particularly Queensland? Bjelke Pedersen didn’t become Premier until 1968.

Star down under.:
David, when were you in Australia, particularly Queensland? Bjelke Pedersen didn’t become Premier until 1968.

After arriving in Darwin I worked in the NT and then eventually to Sydney where I had trouble finding a decent job partly because NSW wouldn’t accept my NT heavy licence (there were many one day wonders, painting fences, flipping pigs in an iron foundry, running beer from Reches (sp?) brewery down to the trains at Darling Harbour, Yellow Express parcels etc. etc.) so I finally volunteered to go to Israel for the 6 day war. So that would be '67. Refused a free flight because of their excitement when they thought I had said ‘crane driver’ when I had in fact said ‘road train driver’ (if I’d know they wanted people to unload Yank tanks at Tel Aviv docks but didn’t need truck drivers, I’d have said crane driver, how hard can it be?), so I headed north jumping trains and hitch hiking to Mackay. So I reckon around '67/'68 arriving in Queensland. Took no interest in politics but kept hearing people going on about B-P. I think he was a bit right wing wasn’t he? Must have spent a year or more there before returning to Sydney.

Spardo:

Star down under.:

After arriving in Darwin I worked in the NT and then eventually to Sydney where I had trouble finding a decent job partly because NSW wouldn’t accept my NT heavy licence (there were many one day wonders, painting fences, flipping pigs in an iron foundry, running beer from Reches (sp?) brewery down to the trains at Darling Harbour, Yellow Express parcels etc. etc.) so I finally volunteered to go to Israel for the 6 day war. So that would be '67. Refused a free flight because of their excitement when they thought I had said ‘crane driver’ when I had in fact said ‘road train driver’ (if I’d know they wanted people to unload Yank tanks at Tel Aviv docks but didn’t need truck drivers, I’d have said crane driver, how hard can it be?), so I headed north jumping trains and hitch hiking to Mackay. So I reckon around '67/'68 arriving in Queensland. Took no interest in politics but kept hearing people going on about B-P. I think he was a bit right wing wasn’t he? Must have spent a year or more there before returning to Sydney.

David, it’s Resch’s (“The Beer We Drink Round Here”) - their ales were always an acquired taste :wink: . I’m enjoying the conversation btw you and “Star down under”, all before my time cos I only turned up here in 1988. They haven’t thrown me out yet either.

Just to add a little something to the Australian rail-car convo, here’s a couple of snaps I took of a '30s NSW ‘Rail Pay Bus’. Originally designed and built by Waddington (Granville, Sydney) in the 30s as railbuses for use on branch lines in Central Western NSW, these had petrol powered 221cu in (3.6l) Ford V8s and were built on truck chassis. The experiment failed and all six were converted for use as paymaster’s vans, and apparently were used all over the NSW rail network right up till the late 60s.

Photos taken at the NSW Rail Museum at Thirlmere (NSW), a place well worth a visit if you’re in that neck of the woods, especially on Steam Days.

Another sunny morning, Buzzer

271982444_1044590456106353_6024609931278113018_n (2).jpg

ParkRoyal2100:
Just to add a little something to the Australian rail-car convo, here’s a couple of snaps I took of a '30s NSW ‘Rail Pay Bus’. Originally designed and built by Waddington (Granville, Sydney) in the 30s as railbuses for use on branch lines in Central Western NSW, these had petrol powered 221cu in (3.6l) Ford V8s and were built on truck chassis. The experiment failed and all six were converted for use as paymaster’s vans, and apparently were used all over the NSW rail network right up till the late 60s.

Photos taken at the NSW Rail Museum at Thirlmere (NSW), a place well worth a visit if you’re in that neck of the woods, especially on Steam Days.

That is really interesting, PR, although it is a Ford and not exactly the same thing but the principle is there, a forward control bus on rails. Do you remember where the passenger entrance was, was it in the normal place at the front, opposite the driver?
Just out of interest though, what part of it failed? Obviously not the vehicle itself as they were used for the next 30 years, so was it passenger resistance for some reason?

Two new trucks, one Australian the other is ours in the old colours, Buzzer

ParkRoyal2100:

Spardo:

Star down under.:

David, it’s Resch’s (“The Beer We Drink Round Here”) - their ales were always an acquired taste :wink: . I’m enjoying the conversation btw you and “Star down under”, all before my time cos I only turned up here in 1988. They haven’t thrown me out yet either.

You came for expo and never left, or sentenced to the term of your natural life? We will find you. :wink:

Buzzer:
Lovely bright sunny Monday morning, Buzzer

What would be in the shallow boxes with the two men up on the loaf. I am surprised they could stand on the.

essexpete:

Buzzer:
Lovely bright sunny Monday morning, Buzzer

What would be in the shallow boxes with the two men up on the loaf. I am surprised they could stand on the.

Blew it up and used a magi glass and it looks like it was canned produce of some sort & it was 3 shillings a go, Buzzer

Wednesdays wonders, Buzzer

Todays input, Buzzer

271606647_3084670655080134_6298640894636305057_n (1).jpg

272016855_2129097077245573_7962969542988499368_n.jpg

272281033_3124634927825833_5707252343211871771_n (3).jpg

The Slaters pic brings back memories from 1976 when I sat in the lecture room on the first floor in the building behind the Foden doing my HGV training, it was February and I lodged in Pickering for two weeks and did my driving and test in Scarborough. The building is still there as I passed it last year. I think that Arthur Slater was still alive then, he had lost an arm driving in the Monte Carlo Rally but ran a fine transport company although they were changing over to Volvo’s ( :unamused: ) by that time. Slaters came out of the Tilling Group of companies soon after. Staying in the same digs as me were the lads who were rebuilding the North Yorks Moors railway, I remember it being blooming cold! :slight_smile:

Pete.

Buzzer:
Todays input, Buzzer

The Waterworths Bedford 1389KD was a Liverpool based fruit and vegetable merchant, long since gone.

Regards

John

Spardo:

ParkRoyal2100:

That is really interesting, PR, although it is a Ford and not exactly the same thing but the principle is there, a forward control bus on rails. Do you remember where the passenger entrance was, was it in the normal place at the front, opposite the driver?
Just out of interest though, what part of it failed? Obviously not the vehicle itself as they were used for the next 30 years, so was it passenger resistance for some reason?

IIRC David the entrance was up front near the driver. The failure wasn’t down to the vehicle but the experiment of running these rail-buses as an economical venture. Unfortunately, I can only remember paraphrasing the info on the placard, but perhaps if you can ferret around on their website you might find more info.

Steve

Star down under.:

ParkRoyal2100:

Spardo:

Star down under.:

You came for expo and never left, or sentenced to the term of your natural life? We will find you. :wink:

I turned up for the Bicentenary in Sh!tney by accident. I’ve even been to Tassie (twice!) and they let me back to the mainland. :grimacing:

Nice to see this thread reach the 500 page mark regards to Bubbleman, here are some more for today, Buzzer

Nice to see the pic of Orpwood’s Foden, he had a large fleet of mostly Fodens and I used to see them around a lot. Peter was also a pretty handy speedway rider with Tamworth and other teams. defunctspeedway.co.uk/Peter%20Orpwood.htm

Pete.

Congratulations Bubbs on 500 pages!

OIP (2).jpg

I wonder what the next 100 pages’ll bring…

Ro think you on a mix up as it was “Bubb’s” who initiated this thread, Cheers Buzzer