Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Saturday selection, Buzzer

271870054_3087733724773827_6044117256973784722_n.jpg

Buzzer:
Saturday selection, Buzzer

Like the Bedford tipping into the spreader, a clever trick. And also the mention of Sam Longson, Cloughie’s nemesis at Derby County. :laughing:

And even the ■■■■■ Sabrina ERF. :smiley:

Isn’t that Hawlet’s Dodge a still from a film with lots of stars of the future in it? The name has gone, remind me. :blush:

Hell Drivers?

Spardo:

gingerfold:

Spardo:

bubbleman:
Hello again,heres today stuff starting with the real old wagons then up to a bit more modern motors,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I wonder if that Maudsley model at no.2 is the origin of the name of the LAD cabbed AEC Mustang I saw in Australia in the 60s. Dig kindly dug out a picture some years back and put it on TN.

The LAD AEC Mustang was a ‘one-off’ built by AEC Australia using a Leyland Super Comet chassis and cab but with AEC AV470 engine and Thornycroft D197 gearbox. Very few were built probably fewer than double figures. The AEC built Chinese-six Mustang was a derivative of the 2GM4 Mercury and some 350 AEC Mustangs were built from 1960 to 1963. They were built in the former Maudslay plant at Great Alne, Alcester. the model name Mustang was taken from Maudslay, as was the Marathon name, which was originally a coach.

Maudslay was originally at Parkside Works Coventry; Great Alne was its WW2 Shadow Factory. Parkside was closed when ACV was formed with the amalgamation of AEC, Maudslay, Crossley, and Park Royal Vehicles.

Thanks Gingerfold, I was almost sure there was a connection there. Also your mention of Crossley, another Australian connection that I mentioned in the Heavy Haulage thread the other day. When I worked in the Queensland back country I used to travel to work on a Crossley railmotor, a Crossley coach body re-mounted on railway running gear. Exactly the same as a bus but the driver had no steering wheel. I have never managed to find a photo though, even on an Australian railway forum.

Where abouts were you working? I’ll try to track down the gen on it, if not a photo. Do you recall the fleet number, RM?? ?

Buzzer:
A few oldies, Buzzer

]https://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB/download/file.php?id=340190&mode=view
Later Parker Knoll D-series, I’m racking my brain cell trying to figure out where.

stargazer148:
Hi Larry Kawasaki z650? :exclamation: Cheers Ray

I’ll pay that.

Star down under.:

Spardo:
Thanks Gingerfold, I was almost sure there was a connection there. Also your mention of Crossley, another Australian connection that I mentioned in the Heavy Haulage thread the other day. When I worked in the Queensland back country I used to travel to work on a Crossley railmotor, a Crossley coach body re-mounted on railway running gear. Exactly the same as a bus but the driver had no steering wheel. I have never managed to find a photo though, even on an Australian railway forum.

Where abouts were you working? I’ll try to track down the gen on it, if not a photo. Do you recall the fleet number, RM?? ?

Wow, now you’re asking, over 60 years ago now. :blush:
I worked for the MRD near Sarina, south of Mackay, so it wasn’t there because I was given a caravan to live in, so it might have been near Ayr, south of Townsville. Again, accommodation included, I lived with 4 other blokes in a very rural old house while cane cutting, the most likely candidate. I also had a job working in a sugar mill but can’t remember exactly where. I was given a high sided Bedford tipper to run within the site disposing of ‘gas’. This is a fine dust, a by product from the factory, and I just ran half a mile to tip it in a massive field where it burned slowly all the time.

Take your pick, somewhere between Mackay and Townsville. :unamused: Years later I was really surprised that no-one on an Australian rail forum could ID the machine.

I’ll give it my best shot, David.

Star down under.:
I’ll give it my best shot, David.

The only clue I have is that it was definitely in the cane fields area, a pretty long shot I reckon. :wink: :
It was very strange seeing a ‘bus’ driver with nothing to do with his hands in between gear changes. :laughing:

David, reliable information seems to be hard to come by.
RM 28, later renumbered RM 16 is the only fleet number that appears in a search, including Crossley. The odd thing, that was an Inspection Car/General Manager’s personal car. It was an International truck chassis with a Napier car body mounted. Queensland Rail bought a number of petrol powered AEC truck chassis, that were converted to rail motors. Most of these were later converted to Gardner power.
By the mid 50s to the 60s, the Red Rattlers (RMs) were superseded by the 1800 class, stainless steel with royal blue trim front and rear, 1900, stainless steel with royal blue trim front, rear and sides and 2000 class, polished stainless steel.
Is it possible that your charabanc was operating on the 2’ gauge, cane train network?
We’re you working at the Farleigh Mill?

Sunday collection, Buzzer

Star down under.:
David, reliable information seems to be hard to come by.
RM 28, later renumbered RM 16 is the only fleet number that appears in a search, including Crossley. The odd thing, that was an Inspection Car/General Manager’s personal car. It was an International truck chassis with a Napier car body mounted. Queensland Rail bought a number of petrol powered AEC truck chassis, that were converted to rail motors. Most of these were later converted to Gardner power.
By the mid 50s to the 60s, the Red Rattlers (RMs) were superseded by the 1800 class, stainless steel with royal blue trim front and rear, 1900, stainless steel with royal blue trim front, rear and sides and 2000 class, polished stainless steel.
Is it possible that your charabanc was operating on the 2’ gauge, cane train network?
We’re you working at the Farleigh Mill?

As you will have guessed, my memory is sadly lacking on this subject, but there is at least 1 thing of which I am certain. Definitely not the narrow cane gauge, this was to me the normal standard gauge which I think was common in Queensland at the time (I think by the 60s the states might have all been unified because I travelled on the Aurora express sleeper from Melbourne to Sydney and don’t remember being woken up in the middle of the night by my carriage being lifted from one chassis (Vic, broad) to another (NSW, standard) at Albury, which used to be the case before). Plus this line was not part of the canefields setup, it was a separate one serving the general population of all the small stops along the way.

The other thing is that I have never heard of Farleigh Mill, but then when I was cutting cane I wasn’t actually at a mill of course. I can’t even remember the name of the mill that I did work at with the Bedford tipper, which was a different place and time. I now believe that that mill must have been within reasonable striking distance of Townsville because I spent my weekends at a house I rented with a mate near the beach there. How I got back and forth I don’t remember, not by railmotor though and probably collected and re-delivered by my mate who had a Ford ute, and he, a brickie in a state that hadn’t yet really discovered bricks, was not working. He was offered work in the back country building with blocks and needed a mate to come with him labouring as part of the package, but we declined (too far from the beach :laughing: ).

From what you say above I wonder if one or some of the AECs were rebadged as Crossleys for some reason. I must have seen a Crossley badge or at least name for it to be in my memory. I remember it being dark in colour so perhaps Royal Blue would chime with that.

I can only offer passage of time and extreme age as an excuse for my vagueness. I am now thinking that, although the vehicle and its running gear are firm in my memory, I may have used it on a few occasions travelling out to jobs while registered at the Mackay Labour Exchange, rather than a daily run to work once a job was found. This is because of my various accommodations. At Sarina I had a site caravan, at the mill with the Bedford I had a room on site and, when cutting cane we had an old house in a section of the fields. Not in danger of the flaming fields because we were cutting raw cane for supply to the lab for testing. Not such hard or dirty graft (burnt cane) as the cane gangs but in many ways harder because raw sugar cane is covered in tiny hairs (called hairy Mary, burnt off before harvesting) which got on the skin and was a terrible irritant.

Sorry, lots of useless disjointed meanderings and no hard facts to go on. :unamused: :blush:

Edit: Just had an extensive read about gauges in Australia and what I said about unification by the '60s was complete rowlocks, it apparently took much longer, even into this century. However, I am immovable on the non canefield gauge of the railmotors in Queensland. :wink: :laughing:

David, I seem to have led you astray a little. The 1800s were the last of the Red Rattlers, by 1960 they would have been on borrowed time, these were AECs, photo below.

300px-Railmotor93.jpg

The 1900s were Stainless with blue trim, some lacked the blue on the sides. These were introduced in the mid 50s. They were also AECs, but had problems with the gearbox. Photo below.

250px-RM_1901_waits_under_looming_skies_at_Texas_station,_Queensland,__1991.jpg

From 1959 the 2000 class superseded the 1900s. These were also AECs, fitted with SCG of Coventry four speed gearboxes. Photo below.

250px-2034atRSTsqaure.jpg

Your railcar must’ve been an 1800, as all other Red Rattlers would’ve been retired by 1960. Details of each individual unit would have varied as they were modified to fill their differing roles.
I fully empathise with your hazy recollections, who are you? :wink:

Star down under.:
David, I seem to have led you astray a little. The 1800s were the last of the Red Rattlers, by 1960 they would have been on borrowed time, these were AECs, photo below.

The 1900s were Stainless with blue trim, some lacked the blue on the sides. These were introduced in the mid 50s. They were also AECs, but had problems with the gearbox. Photo below.

From 1959 the 2000 class superseded the 1900s. These were also AECs, fitted with SCG of Coventry four speed gearboxes. Photo below.

Your railcar must’ve been an 1800, as all other Red Rattlers would’ve been retired by 1960. Details of each individual unit would have varied as they were modified to fill their differing roles.
I fully empathise with your hazy recollections, who are you? :wink:

Not sure you led me astray, but we have certainly been at some sort of cross purposes. None of those pictures look anything like what I travelled on. They look like trains to me, whereas what I rode looked just like a single decker bus coming down the road, with an interior engine but the Crossley radiator plainly in view, no fairing of any kind. And certainly no extra carriages towed behind. The driver sat next to his engine and the passenger entry was at the front, just like a bus. You paid the man and then took your seat as he took off to all intents and purpose just as in a lorry or a bus, but with no steering wheel. 3 pedals, gear lever and handbrake, but no steering wheel. He drove with his hands in his lap except when changing gear.

If you can imagine this but without the half cab and wheels and with the entry door at the front. The engine hump was not so high probably because the whole body was set higher on the rail bogies. I was not familiar with Crossleys which is why I know for certain it was one, because how else would I have known without seeing it written across the top of the rad? I can’t find a better picture on Google, maybe the one I saw was a complete one off and rarity. :confused:

Crossley single decker.jpg

Were you around at the time, and where were/are you? :slight_smile:

I was around, but a bit too young to be taking too many notes of my surroundings.
I grew up in Brisbane and Redcliffe, but as an adult lived and worked in FNQ and the Gulf, later in WA’s Pilbara and Kimberly.

Try this one.
m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=4 … n__=%2B%3D

Thanks for the link SDU, very interesting, I suppose the one on the left here is the nearest to ‘mine’, without the angled corners and trailer of course. :slight_smile:

Except of course it won’t allow me to copy it. :unamused: It was an RM 70 uploaded by Anthony Winstone in 1970.

Lovely bright sunny Monday morning, Buzzer

Star down under.:
I was around, but a bit too young to be taking too many notes of my surroundings.
I grew up in Brisbane and Redcliffe, but as an adult lived and worked in FNQ and the Gulf, later in WA’s Pilbara and Kimberly.

Nice place to grow up. Queensland is my favourite State.

I like Dexter’s Atki, only a bit of rope front and rear with nothing in between. :laughing:

David, you should be able to download this one. It’s obviously an AEC, but I’m wondering if it was nicknamed Crossley.

images (55).jpeg

Dipster, that’s why we call it Godzone. :wink:

Star down under.:
David, you should be able to download this one. It’s obviously an AEC, but I’m wondering if it was nicknamed Crossley.

Dipster, that’s why we call it Godzone. :wink:

Of course I don’t need to, because it was only to show you and now you have shown me. :laughing:
But yes, that is the closest we are going to get I reckon, but as I said before, without the angled corners and with the door opposite the driver.
But definitely not an AEC. I knew AECs very well having driven a 6 wheeler for Wimpey on the M1 contract and also did the majority of my journey to Oz overland as far as Karachi sharing the driving of a 1956 Regent (I think) bus, so there is no way I would have mistaken that triangular badge if it had one. On the other hand I knew nothing about Crossleys other than the infamous Crossley tenders that the Black and Tans used in Ireland during the war of independence. I suppose it could have been a re-badged AEC in the fashion of the day sometimes with overseas sales which allowed me to spot the LAD cabbed AEC Mustang in the Territory beforehand.

As regards favourite States, I suppose Queensland has to come high on the short list, but I suppose it depends on what I was doing in each one which colours the decision. NT, not a state of course, was my first love I suppose with its easy going (lawless?) ways and the world of road trains which it opened up to me. WA meant little as I was only in and out at the extreme top end near Kununurra and Wyndham. SA I barely saw driving through from the NT border to Victoria but reputed to be a favourite of Brits. Victoria, definitely not but there again just personal experience. After being dropped just inside the border by my 2 mates heading home from Buntines I hitched into Melbourne intending to look up a mate, Pete, from the overland bus. I walked down an east/west street towards the building where he worked and then turned a corner southwards. I was promptly almost cut in half by an icy blast straight from the Antarctic and turned on my heel straight to the rail station to book my ticket for the night sleeper to Sydney. NSW became where all my best mates were, on various odd jobs, living in a boarding house and then finally after studying hard, on Yellow Cabs. Great times those were and I was touched by the large group that came to the airport when I decided to go back to Blighty for a holiday. Only later did it occur to me that maybe they just wanted to make sure that I got on the bloody plane. :laughing: :laughing:

And so to Queensland, ruled with an iron fist they told me by a bloke called Bjelke-Petersen, though I knew little of that.
Apart from the jobs already mentioned a favourite time was with my mate Brian in the house rented near the beach in Townsville. Beachcombing for 5 days Sunday to Thursday then intense studying of form early till late on Friday. We had all the form books and the Courrier newspaper from Brisbane and concentrated on one meeting, the sand track in Brisbane (you’ll no doubt remind me of the name :unamused: ) each Saturday. Part of the task was to listen to endless commentaries of previous races. With no TV in the north in those days we recorded all the Saturday races and studied them intently. The system was to double the stake after every loss and go back to the lowest after each win. We didn’t make a fortune but it did keep us in fruit and veg (he was a veggie as I discovered when I opened our giant fridge and saw my few cans of corned beef shoved aside by an avalanche of pineapples and cabbages :open_mouth: ) and enough petrol to get us to the drive-in every Saturday night. Also maybe a few stubbies along the way. So yes, you could say QLD was a favourite. :wink: :smiley: