Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Remember these on my early International travels, Buzzer

A good-looking Italian truck, as they use to make them in the sixties.

Singo55:
I’m sure it was the Foundry Chris it’s a sunbed place now but like you say it’s a long time ago.Trying to remember who else used it i remember Ibbotsons,Carbrook Transport and Myatt part of Mason Bros Rotherham I’m sure there were others.Another of Humbers was Harold? nickname wingnut went on to do Europe with Cave Wood.

Would that be the same Harold aka Wingnut who went to Bowkers?

Wheel Nut:

Singo55:
I’m sure it was the Foundry Chris it’s a sunbed place now but like you say it’s a long time ago.Trying to remember who else used it i remember Ibbotsons,Carbrook Transport and Myatt part of Mason Bros Rotherham I’m sure there were others.Another of Humbers was Harold? nickname wingnut went on to do Europe with Cave Wood.

Don’t know where he went after Cave Wood lost touch.Not very tall and never stopped talking if that rings any bells but a decent bloke.

That sounds very much like him, he was an unlikely bloke to be doing continental work but he loved it and spent weeks working out of Zeebrugge, he always preferred flat trailers and sheeting steel to doing tilts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can’t fault him for that tilts were hard work especially full strip downs when loading steel out of some of the antiquated firms in Sheffield John Bedfords springs to mind for one.

Singo55:
Can’t fault him for that tilts were hard work especially full strip downs when loading steel out of some of the antiquated firms in Sheffield John Bedfords springs to mind for one.

I’ll go along with that, on Cheverall’s of Luton we had a regular run from South Wales to Neuf Brisach near Mulhouse with giant lumps of aluminium, 3 per load.

It was a tortuous strip out to tip until one day I spotted that they had one of those giant fork lifts on site. No-one had to strip anything but the sides out after that. :wink: :smiley:

I think this is a very old thread but….The Alltransport 110 Super Left ■■■■■■ was my dads, Chris Owen. Here it is!

Wheel Nut:

No it wouldn’t be. Harold Monk worked on Bowker’s U.K. haulage for many years before going on to one of the closed circuit European round trips. I think he did go on to general European work eventually. Prior to Bowker, I think he worked for Gilbraith Transport in Accrington, where he lived. I think I heard that he went to Woodside after I left Bowker in 2001.

A few oldies, Buzzer

Buzzer:
A few oldies, Buzzer

A couple of real belters there Buzzer, the Cheshire Lines Fordson, never seen a photo of a CLC lorry before. The Hewland ERF tipper - that would be Trevor Hewland from Wakefield - looks like him sat on the cab roof. He used to pull for us (Rawsons) in the nineties, we had one of his old DAF units off him as a yard shunter.

The photo with the Big J, Comet an Octopus shows the rapid style change. Have I got the models right?
Would the ERF SWB bulker be a conversion? I guess that would have been duck out of water on anything but hard surfaces or would the mid axle lift slightly?

essexpete:
The photo with the Big J, Comet an Octopus shows the rapid style change. Have I got the models right?
Would the ERF SWB bulker be a conversion? I guess that would have been duck out of water on anything but hard surfaces or would the mid axle lift slightly?

The ‘Octopus’ is actually a Bristol HA, though it may well have had the same engine as went in the Leyland Octopus (0.600). Bristols were only ever built new exclusively for the nationalised BRS after 1948. Nationalised bus companies were also allowed Bristol buses and coaches.

EDIT to say: They appear only to have been supplied with Leyland 0.600 (and later 0.680) engines or Gardner 6LW (and later 6LX) straight-six engines. Though somewhere I’m sure there was one with an AEC in it - a transplant perhaps!

Another batch, Buzzer

271756347_638957800758512_853630786722240597_n (2).jpg

271752727_3168895950053827_7157263225009839178_n.jpg

271710521_340522274743773_4319303464454427931_n.jpg

Great selection today buzzer, thanks for posting.

Hi Larry Kawasaki z650? :exclamation: Cheers Ray