Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

I’m sure it was the Foundry Chris it’s a sunbed place now but like you say it’s a long time ago.Trying to remember who else used it i remember Ibbotsons,Carbrook Transport and Myatt part of Mason Bros Rotherham I’m sure there were others.Another of Humbers was Harold? nickname wingnut went on to do Europe with Cave Wood.

A couple here from the Humber McVeigh Fleet

Was Humber McVeigh a merger between Humber Warehousing and McVeigh Transport? I seem to remember backloading out of Hull, I think, from McVeigh on more than one occasion. The most memorable was the very carefully loaded little rowing boats stacked 3 high on my flat using long timbers fore and aft in between each layer.

Roping was a very careful job as you can imagine and a certain amount of extra careful driving was involved from Hull to Butlin’s at Minehead. :unamused:

When I got there I was wondering how they would be unloaded and soon found out. ‘Just pull alongside the boating lake Drive, and take all your ropes off’. Then ‘stand aside and leave it to us’. 3 or 4 fit young blokes with long poles then pushed the bloody lot into the lake. :open_mouth: Some of them floated the right way up, some upside down and some just sank, but as it was only about 3 feet deep the unloading crew simply waded in and sorted them all out. :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Paul John:

Buzzer:
Looks like a couple of new Atkinson eight wheelers but where are they from, Buzzer

Hi John. Ross Garages were from Cardiff. They were haulage contractors and iirc became a service agent or dealer for Atkinson vehicles, based on Penarth Rd.

Ross Garages had a depot in Sheffield years ago,they were bought out by Humber McVeigh or Warehousing if I remember correctly.I remember picking one of their trunk drivers up somewhere around Ross/Monmouth area,it was around 0700,I’d had an early start from Sheffield.He had run out of time and left his Scania artic in a lay by and I dropped him somewhere on that 4 lane bit of road going into Cardiff,before the M4 was built. :smiley:

Hi Chris. I just came across an old letter of Ross Garages and included on the letter head was Sheffield and Warrington. It listed phone numbers but no address.

Singo55:
I’m sure it was the Foundry Chris it’s a sunbed place now but like you say it’s a long time ago.Trying to remember who else used it i remember Ibbotsons,Carbrook Transport and Myatt part of Mason Bros Rotherham I’m sure there were others.Another of Humbers was Harold? nickname wingnut went on to do Europe with Cave Wood.

:smiley: Ibbotsons from Swallownest/Aston is a blast from t’past Singo,did a lot out of Foxes.Then they became Carbrook Transport didn’t they,with KV ERFs. I have a pal called Ray Leadbeater,he drove for Myatts at Cudworth,maybe he remembers that Foundry pub,I’ll ask him. :smiley:

Chris Webb:

Singo55:

:smiley: Ibbotsons from Swallownest/Aston is a blast from t’past Singo,did a lot out of Foxes.Then they became Carbrook Transport didn’t they,with KV ERFs. I have a pal called Ray Leadbeater,he drove for Myatts at Cudworth,maybe he remembers that Foundry pub,I’ll ask him. :smiley:

Thats right Chris moved from Swal!ownest to Barrow road had some beautiful ERF,then moved on to Volvo’s and Myatt were at Cudworth till Masons took them on and they didn’t last long after that.I think Newell and Wright moved in after that.

Singo55:

Chris Webb:

Singo55:

Thats right Chris moved from Swal!ownest to Barrow road had some beautiful ERF,then moved on to Volvo’s and Myatt were at Cudworth till Masons took them on and they didn’t last long after that.I think Newell and Wright moved in after that.

I new a lad called Derek Wagstaff, He drove an ERF 8 Wheeler for Ibbitsons , They used to bring bricks up to Darras Hall in 70s, I wonder if he is still about, Him & I had a couple of pints in the Seven Stars Pub in Ponteland one night, Regards Larry.

Buzzer:
One from Ireland a Scania 111 but looks like it has had a hard life, the Shell sign has never changed over the years has it, Buzzer.

Morning all, Is this a picture or a painting.

Ulster Meats always run a tidy fleet.

Dave…

Spardo:
Was Humber McVeigh a merger between Humber Warehousing and McVeigh Transport? I seem to remember backloading out of Hull, I think, from McVeigh on more than one occasion. The most memorable was the very carefully loaded little rowing boats stacked 3 high on my flat using long timbers fore and aft in between each layer.

Roping was a very careful job as you can imagine and a certain amount of extra careful driving was involved from Hull to Butlin’s at Minehead. :unamused:

When I got there I was wondering how they would be unloaded and soon found out. ‘Just pull alongside the boating lake Drive, and take all your ropes off’. Then ‘stand aside and leave it to us’. 3 or 4 fit young blokes with long poles then pushed the bloody lot into the lake. :open_mouth: Some of them floated the right way up, some upside down and some just sank, but as it was only about 3 feet deep the unloading crew simply waded in and sorted them all out. :laughing: :laughing:

Hi David,

Yes I believe that’s correct,I drove for HM out of their Salford depot,they still had a couple of old pale blue motors in McVeigh’s sign written on some waste land at the rear of the depot.
HM were a decent outfit to work for actually,I saw the writing on the wall and jumped ship before they folded,FrankJackson,yard foreman followed me over to SoM when they did eventually fold.

Stay well,

David

Thanks David, you too, in this heat which you no doubt have in spades. :slight_smile:

Spardo:
Thanks David, you too, in this heat which you no doubt have in spades. :slight_smile:

Not so much the heat David,although 32 today,very nice,but the “silly season” is well underway with the forest fires,there is a large fire east of Tomar 680 Bombeiros are in attendance with 10 aircraft,2 deaths so far,fortunately we are surrounded by oaks,no pine or eucalyptus near us,thankfully.

David

5thwheel:

Spardo:

Not so much the heat David,although 32 today,very nice,but the “silly season” is well underway with the forest fires,there is a large fire east of Tomar 680 Bombeiros are in attendance with 10 aircraft,2 deaths so far,fortunately we are surrounded by oaks,no pine or eucalyptus near us,thankfully.

David

I do have pine and one eucalyptus near me though most of the trees are to the north and east of the house, well away from the prevailing SW wind. I also have 3 ponds, one long and deep enough to swim in in the shade of the trees, a second one, smaller but also sheltered and the third, in full sunlight, and therefore subject to evaporation which is little more than a bog at the moment. :frowning:

Nigel Street Triple 765 (2).JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

That 1 Tonne Landrover would have been part of my old Artillery unit back in the late 70’s in Aldershot Larry, the reg of my Gun Tower was 74 FL 58. The Rover V8 petrol engine meant they were great machines across country and could shift on the motorways but they were a bit short on space with a full Gun crew of six and all the kit we had loaded on. Eighteen Guns in the Regiment with two One Tonny’s to each Gun Sub unit, one to tow the Gun and the other as a Limber to carry ammo and other kit, with a few more in the MT sections. The British Army had just over 2,000 of these. This one would look much better back in military livery though! Franky.

Hi Franky, I took this picture at Redrow AKA Reedrar, :wink: , Im pleased that you have some great info on it, Not many people do if you know what I mean, Red Row was a very good show, I used to take My MGB GT There, But of course its all in limbo until this Virus ■■■■ is sorted out then we can all get back to normal God willing of course,Stay safe, Regards Larry.