Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

The shot of the Guy Light 8 is “the dogs” Marcus. The Light 8 had the highest payload potential of any 8 wheeler at the time , late 50’s /early 60’s, if it was fitted with a wood/ali flat it could achieve up to 17 ton payload. Although looking at that Gem it has what looks like a substantial all wood body so 16 ton would probably be it’s payload at 24 ton gvw. They used the AEC 7:7 engine with the Turner 5 speed box and Eaton single drive axle. O K they weren’t the quickest 8 wheeler but in those days of 30 MPH A class roads and no M/ways to speak of they did the job reasonably well. Life in transport in those far off days was carried on at a more leisurely pace !! Cheers Dennis.

Hi Bubb’s I had a 141 LCG 920T very close to the Mortimers 141 you pictured mine was ex Sparks transport and I bought her from Unit Commercials and found the V8 engines almost indestructible & had several others after that then 142’s, cheers Buzzer.

Buzzer:
Hi Bubb’s I had a 141 LCG 920T very close to the Mortimers 141 you pictured mine was ex Sparks transport and I bought her from Unit Commercials and found the V8 engines almost indestructible & had several others after that then 142’s, cheers Buzzer.

Now then John as it was many years ago was this a shot of “before” the unit was “robbed” prior to it being collected by the purchaser !! That spare wheel looks a bit tasty unless it was just a cheap retread !!! Or were you just like me and when the deal was done is was “as seen” and the motor was in the same state when it was collected ! I’m sure the latter was the case eh! If I had turned a blind eye to some of the deals I had done on disposal our Fitters would have stripped the units ! No chance ! a deal is a deal as seen and delivered ! Regards Dennis.

Buzzer:

Hiya Buzzer just wondering how much you sold it for and what it would fetch today ? Spare wheel looks like a firestone :wink:

Punchy Dan:

Buzzer:

Hiya Buzzer just wondering how much you sold it for and what it would fetch today ? Spare wheel looks like a firestone :wink:

Eyes like a ■■■■■■■■■ rat :sunglasses: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: PS ■■■■■■■ rubbish for re treading :blush: :wink:

Hi Bubs …another nice shot of the Alisons… Mammoth Major great days long gone

Hi Bubs.
Nice shot of the A and H Davey ERF artic and steel carrier,probably loaded out of John Summers (BSC) Shotton,they were in there a lot.In late 60s I used to see Daveys trunkers running out of Smoke loaded with flints for the Potteries when I were running in on my night Abbey Wood changeover.They had ERF Kvs with dropside trailers in those days and looked always to be struggling. :smiley:

Punchy Dan:

Buzzer:

Dan cant remember how much it was sold for but back then values were not quite so important as you were usually moving onto something more modern as I did but you are right it would be worth a fortune in todays market and by the way the tyre was a Michelin steer tyre to cover front and rear and not a remold . BTW I always ran Michelin tyres as I considered them the best for long distance road work and the cases were easily sold to the remould market when worn out, another thing I always did was to fit even sets of tyres across an axle, remix or factory run on rear always new to the steer.
Dennis you have me sussed when a deal was struck every thing stayed on the motor, seen too many robbed for a few quids worth of bits and bobs but you got better money when selling if nothing is robbed, cheers Buzzer.

Hi again,great feedback lads…a mundane picture can sometimes bring out some good response …ok todays stuff,my poor old scanner has seen a lot of action over the years but as with old lorries she dosen’t perform like a new 'un so 99% of the time it fails to scan the caption that goes with the picture which is a bit of a shame,one shot today did scan properly so apologies for the rest as some interesting words go with the pic…I’m waffling on,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Great pictures Bubbs, Love the FB Victors rusting away on the transporter.

Thanks Dave.

dave docwra:
Great pictures Bubbs, Love the FB Victors rusting away on the transporter.

Thanks Dave.

Hiya,
And that was a fact, mine kept a whole fibreglass factory going and the
employees in wages for a while good mechanics rubbish bodywork.

bubbleman:
Hi again,great feedback lads…a mundane picture can sometimes bring out some good response …ok todays stuff,my poor old scanner has seen a lot of action over the years but as with old lorries she dosen’t perform like a new 'un so 99% of the time it fails to scan the caption that goes with the picture which is a bit of a shame,one shot today did scan properly so apologies for the rest as some interesting words go with the pic…I’m waffling on,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Is that a Gardner straight-8 (perhaps 8 LXB) fitted on the chassis of Pic 4 ? Could you tell us more about the truck? Guy, Atkinson? Thanks!

Froggy55:

bubbleman:

Is that a Gardner straight-8 (perhaps 8 LXB) fitted on the chassis of Pic 4 ? Could you tell us more about the truck? Guy, Atkinson? Thanks!

Please don’t mention the 8 cylinder Guy!!! :laughing: Going by the number plate it’s a 1971 Atkinson with the 8LXB Gardner but that’s all I can contribute.

Pete.

windrush:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:

Please don’t mention the 8 cylinder Guy!!! :laughing: Going by the number plate it’s a 1971 Atkinson with the 8LXB Gardner but that’s all I can contribute.

Pete.

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:

Hiya,For Froggy heres the rescanned pic of the Atki chassis with the info,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img117.jpg

Hello again,heres today stuff starting with the real old wagons then up to a bit more modern motors,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

bubbleman:
Hello again,heres today stuff starting with the real old wagons then up to a bit more modern motors,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I wonder if that Maudsley model at no.2 is the origin of the name of the LAD cabbed AEC Mustang I saw in Australia in the 60s. Dig kindly dug out a picture some years back and put it on TN.

Spardo:

bubbleman:

I wonder if that Maudsley model at no.2 is the origin of the name of the LAD cabbed AEC Mustang I saw in Australia in the 60s. Dig kindly dug out a picture some years back and put it on TN.

The LAD AEC Mustang was a ‘one-off’ built by AEC Australia using a Leyland Super Comet chassis and cab but with AEC AV470 engine and Thornycroft D197 gearbox. Very few were built probably fewer than double figures. The AEC built Chinese-six Mustang was a derivative of the 2GM4 Mercury and some 350 AEC Mustangs were built from 1960 to 1963. They were built in the former Maudslay plant at Great Alne, Alcester. the model name Mustang was taken from Maudslay, as was the Marathon name, which was originally a coach.

Maudslay was originally at Parkside Works Coventry; Great Alne was its WW2 Shadow Factory. Parkside was closed when ACV was formed with the amalgamation of AEC, Maudslay, Crossley, and Park Royal Vehicles.

gingerfold:

Spardo:

bubbleman:

The LAD AEC Mustang was a ‘one-off’ built by AEC Australia using a Leyland Super Comet chassis and cab but with AEC AV470 engine and Thornycroft D197 gearbox. Very few were built probably fewer than double figures. The AEC built Chinese-six Mustang was a derivative of the 2GM4 Mercury and some 350 AEC Mustangs were built from 1960 to 1963. They were built in the former Maudslay plant at Great Alne, Alcester. the model name Mustang was taken from Maudslay, as was the Marathon name, which was originally a coach.

Maudslay was originally at Parkside Works Coventry; Great Alne was its WW2 Shadow Factory. Parkside was closed when ACV was formed with the amalgamation of AEC, Maudslay, Crossley, and Park Royal Vehicles.

Thanks Gingerfold, I was almost sure there was a connection there. Also your mention of Crossley, another Australian connection that I mentioned in the Heavy Haulage thread the other day. When I worked in the Queensland back country I used to travel to work on a Crossley railmotor, a Crossley coach body re-mounted on railway running gear. Exactly the same as a bus but the driver had no steering wheel. I have never managed to find a photo though, even on an Australian railway forum.

Bewick:
The shot of the Guy Light 8 is “the dogs” Marcus. The Light 8 had the highest payload potential of any 8 wheeler at the time , late 50’s /early 60’s, if it was fitted with a wood/ali flat it could achieve up to 17 ton payload. Although looking at that Gem it has what looks like a substantial all wood body so 16 ton would probably be it’s payload at 24 ton gvw. They used the AEC 7:7 engine with the Turner 5 speed box and Eaton single drive axle. O K they weren’t the quickest 8 wheeler but in those days of 30 MPH A class roads and no M/ways to speak of they did the job reasonably well. Life in transport in those far off days was carried on at a more leisurely pace !! Cheers Dennis.

Guy Warrior Light.