Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

bubbleman:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:
Hi again,great feedback lads…a mundane picture can sometimes bring out some good response …ok todays stuff,my poor old scanner has seen a lot of action over the years but as with old lorries she dosen’t perform like a new 'un so 99% of the time it fails to scan the caption that goes with the picture which is a bit of a shame,one shot today did scan properly so apologies for the rest as some interesting words go with the pic…I’m waffling on,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Is that a Gardner straight-8 (perhaps 8 LXB) fitted on the chassis of Pic 4 ? Could you tell us more about the truck? Guy, Atkinson? Thanks!

Hiya,For Froggy heres the rescanned pic of the Atki chassis with the info,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

The leader has fuller gearbox,kirkstal back axle and 8lxb Gardner :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: - :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:
power steering the little switch on the steering collum looks like its for the second steer axle(dump valve I think) :question:
The batteries are mounted on the flat crossmember at the rear of the 8lxb they normaly went under the passenger seat.
I would have to agree it was one of the cleanest lay outs of a frame of the time.
The combination of the engine and driveline was the best at the time,the borderer at waughs gave no problems in its time in service.PS THAT engine drive line(only one that spec the rest had 8-speed david brown or seddon/Atkinson rear axles or worst of all both. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: - :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I wonder who the lucky recipient firm was that bought that fine Atky after the Earls Court show ? It defo wasn’t Bewick Transport !! I could only dream of owning a motor like that but at 32 ton gvw it would have been a bit on the heavy side for my liking ! But never the less that chassis was at the pinacol of the UK heavy truck industry in 1970 IMHO. Cheers Bewick.

bubbleman:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:
Hi again,great feedback lads…a mundane picture can sometimes bring out some good response …ok todays stuff,my poor old scanner has seen a lot of action over the years but as with old lorries she dosen’t perform like a new 'un so 99% of the time it fails to scan the caption that goes with the picture which is a bit of a shame,one shot today did scan properly so apologies for the rest as some interesting words go with the pic…I’m waffling on,heres todays stuff,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Is that a Gardner straight-8 (perhaps 8 LXB) fitted on the chassis of Pic 4 ? Could you tell us more about the truck? Guy, Atkinson? Thanks!

Hiya,For Froggy heres the rescanned pic of the Atki chassis with the info,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Thanks! Certainly a very neat looking engine!

i think in my atkinson book that photo is described as ‘truck engineering as an art form’ and that sums it up i reckon
tony

DEANB:

Bewick:
The shot of the Guy Light 8 is “the dogs” Marcus. The Light 8 had the highest payload potential of any 8 wheeler at the time , late 50’s /early 60’s, if it was fitted with a wood/ali flat it could achieve up to 17 ton payload. Although looking at that Gem it has what looks like a substantial all wood body so 16 ton would probably be it’s payload at 24 ton gvw. They used the AEC 7:7 engine with the Turner 5 speed box and Eaton single drive axle. O K they weren’t the quickest 8 wheeler but in those days of 30 MPH A class roads and no M/ways to speak of they did the job reasonably well. Life in transport in those far off days was carried on at a more leisurely pace !! Cheers Dennis.

Guy Warrior Light.

The note “temporary” would seem to sum it up as a photoshopped shot of the GUY 8 wheeler Dean. For a start it looks suspiciously like a double drive bogie so that would make it an Invincible and not a Warrior Light 8 and as for achieving an 18 ton payload I think that “claim” is stretching the “envelope” somewhat ! That shot of the Larbert based Light 8 clearly shows the bogie which is an Eaton drive axle and a Guy trailing axle. Great shot all the same though ! :wink: Cheers Dennis.

bubbleman:

Froggy55:

bubbleman:

I recall that in late '69 Brady’s bought 6 Mk1 rear steer Atki’s that had the 180LXB/6:600 DB and the Kirkstall BDR drive axle. They were quite impressive motors at the time but obviously paled into the shade when the Mk11 8LXB Leader was announced . Cheers Dennis.

Hi again,good comments lads,heres a few more clippings :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img132.jpg

Bubbleman.
Just been looking at the shot of the Atki Leader chassis, got it in a magazine in the attic somewhere.
I drove one for a time when I worked for John Raymond in the 70s ETX 990K.
At that time it was quite an impressive motor. Used on steel and general haulage and also a bit of low loader work coupled to a triaxle beavertail semi low loader built by M&G trailers Hayes Lane, Stourbridge
Regards, Mr Steel

A little more on the GUY Warrior Light 8. Exhibited at the 1958 Earls Court Show it drew a lot of attention, the prototype MkII Light 8 was sponsored by the Lancashire GUY distributor TGB and through its subsidiary company Primrose Engineering a 30ft long, 18ft 2in wheelbase chassis that had been designed for a passenger model but with the axles then placed 15ft 9ins apart (leaving a long and illegal over hang). Primrose fitted a second steer axle and trailing dead axle to produce the light weight 8 Wheeler. It was fitted with a 7.58 litre AEC 470 engine and 24ft long platform body in the livery of Cusick of Oldham. It was said to carry over a ton more than competitive 8 Wheelers because of the lighter ULW. However the production models used the Invincible chassis frame so did this then increase the ULW, possibly but it may well still have been able to have a higher payload than competitors even if this wasn’t much. GUY brochures though didn’t say how much the ‘Light’ versions saved over the Invincible 8 Wheelers. These light 8 and 6’s did prove popular with some companies though. Franky.

bubbleman:
Hi again,nice shots Dean and thanks for that,also good info from Trevor,heres todays bunch of clippings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hello bubbleman ,always good to see Hodnet Transport from Shakesford on the A41 nr Market Drayton quite a big fleet ,but now gone thank you Trevor

Hi again,Nice comments lads…heres some more cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img137.jpg

Hi again,heres another bunch of cuttings,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

img154.jpg

bubbleman:

I understand why the sheets for Bradshaw’s Commer are on the roof of the loading bay, but how did they get up there?

gingerfold:

bubbleman:

I understand why the sheets for Bradshaw’s Commer are on the roof of the loading bay, but how did they get up there?

I would say they go up a row at a time.

Dave…

gingerfold:

bubbleman:

He is actually ready to tip at Greenall Whitleys brewery at Warrington so must have folded the sheets on top of the load and put them on the roof out of the way. This brilliant photo appeared in one of the vintage mags. a few years ago and the caption said the load was wheat. A coombe sack of wheat is 18 stone ( barley is 16 stone and oats are 12 stone ) anyway I wrote to the mag. explaining this and no man alive could throw 18 stone that high and God knows what weight that load would have been. My letter appeared the following month, then the month after that, the driver of the Commer replied and put matters right. He agreed with what I said about the weights of corn in sacks and said it was in fact malt, much lighter, and he even dated the photo, some time in the early '60s. Looking at that load I think he was a true professional.

bubbleman:

What is that on the spare wheel of the Dalgety Bedford ?

Suedehead:

bubbleman:

What is that on the spare wheel of the Dalgety Bedford ?

I would guess that it’s probably his sack barrow .

What is that on the spare wheel of the Dalgety Bedford ? Brightened the pic but it doesn’t look like a sack barrow possibly something to do with bags though, Gingerfold might know. Franky.

Frankydobo:
What is that on the spare wheel of the Dalgety Bedford ? Brightened the pic but it doesn’t look like a sack barrow possibly something to do with bags though, Gingerfold might know. Franky.

how about a removable step for climbing up onto the body ■■?..just a thought and good stuff Bubs but anything after the reg ending in V is after my time when I relocated down under !!!

Frankydobo:

Thank you for chucking that curved ball at me Franky :smiley: … IIRC Dalgety Franklin was a potato grower and merchants, the contraption on the spare wheel is vaguely familiar, but I can’t come up with a use for it.