Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

I’ve been interested to see the Bowater’s 8 wheeler loaded with pulp and read the comments. My first truck in 1969 was a Leyland Comet four wheeler and I carried many loads of pulp to Bowater’s at Ellesmere Port from the Scottish Borders, mainly around Peebles. One of the great advantages of Bowater’s was that it was a 24 hour operation, so you could load in the afternoon and tip at about 11.00 at night, then head back up to Scotland (not that I ever did officer!)

My uncle was a timber merchant and I had a contract A licence to carry his goods. It was mainly round timber to Riding and Anderton’s Seven Stars Saw Mills at Wigan, but I also went to Wallsend and Hexham and several other destinations.

The smaller pieces of timber were collected and sawn into 4’ lengths. Whenever there was a full load, perhaps twice a month, we would put the 4 bolsters (these were normally evenly spaced sideways on the flatbed with the poles sticking up at the side, old half shafts for the bottom pole, with hollow extensions to give extra height) lengthwise at the back of the flatbed, with the poles sticking up, as per the rear photo. Sadly I never took any photos, so can’t document it thus.

The Leyland was loaded exactly as the Bowater lorry, but not as high. IIRC No chains or ropes were used. The loads never moved. The pulpwood was laid with the outside edge on the side rave and this tilted the timber in towards the centre.

When I bought a Mastiff, with a 26’ trailer in December '69, we loaded the pulp the same way. One time, Jimmy, the foreman insisted on putting 2 bolsters sideways at the back, with the timber loaded across the trailer and chained, then the rest of the trailer loaded in the usual manner. This was a big mistake and as driver I should have overruled him, but I didn’t, he had far more experience than me. The trailer had an aluminium floor which was quite slippy when covered in frost. It was a freezing December day. We finished loading after dark and the lads set off for home, St Boswell’s, about 20 miles away. I left for Ellesmere Port soon after. There was a sharp incline up to to the road from the forest track and as I pulled onto the road, the back bolsters slipped and tilted over and almost the whole load cascaded into the road. The road was covered. It was pitch black. Mercifully there was a phone box nearby and I phoned Jimmy’s wife and explained what had happened. The lads turned back around when they arrived home. We reloaded the trailer - with the bolsters the normal way round. Luckily, not a single car came on that road while my load was spread across it.

Happy days!

John.

lespullan:

ramone:

lespullan:
Like this maybe. Les

Didnt you get 1 of those brand new Les :wink: ....... Merry Christmas I hope its not too cold for you up there

Merry Christmas mate, been down to Bradford today, flying visit, doesn’t get any better does it, saw H Baker rigid do Bower Green run it, it was mucky so must be working, speaking of cold 8 degrees below on Sunday night, I might be 70 but come on now. :blush: :laughing:

Ha ha I thought you were older :wink: , yes I think Bower Green run it , the place isn`t getting any better but I was in London a few weeks back and was glad to get home that place is a disgrace.

Hello again,a few more old girls :smiley: ,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Great pics as always Bubbs. Is the Sinclairs Mandator a V8 ?

Thought id cracked it there Bubbs, The Renwicks Atki KHD 639 K, I drove 638 K, nice picks again mate. Les.

Suedehead wrote:

I’ve another pic of this Mandator, same load but the picture was taken with a different background, it says on the text below, This Mandator was fitted with a V8 engine giving 272bhp. Franky.

Hi again,more oldies again today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Suedehead:

Looks like a High Datum Cab - so probably is

Toddy2:

Suedehead:

Looks like a High Datum Cab - so probably is

It’s a V8, but that’s a standard cab.

Dawson’s.

Hello again,thanks Dean for the Dawson adverts :smiley: ,more oldies again today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Hi bubbleman, I believe the Hill`s of Botley Volvo is x Siddle C Cook & was the 2nd of their 3 6 x 4 units

Regards pushrod 47

Nice pic Bubb’s of Christopher Hill’s Seddon from Poole. There does not seem to be many pics of there motors about
which is a shame as they had a fair few motors.Heres another on Poole docks. The trucks were orange back then
and later on red.

poole christopher hill on docks.PNG

When my father drove for Laws Transport in Reading back in the early sixties they had several ex Christopher Hill Seddons. Bought ‘well used’ from Tilburys at Southampton I believe.

Pete.

Hi again,nice shot Dean…thanks for that,more old girls from yesteryear,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I like the Slaters/Tilcon F88 with the Foden diamond on the grille. :wink:

Pete.

windrush:
I like the Slaters/Tilcon F88 with the Foden diamond on the grille. :wink:

Pete.

That seems an odd load Pete for a Tilcon motor ■■ :unamused:

Another one of Allports Dodges ! :smiley:

A02347.JPG

bubbleman:
Hello again,thanks Dean for the Dawson adverts :smiley: ,more oldies again today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

Well done Marcus , good to see you rolling out your substantial archive again ! Now that shot of the Chas. Holt Scammell 8 wheeler is a proper one, not one showing the later Albion double drive axles, Oo No ! Cheers Dennis. :wink:

The Hanson Atki looks like one of Colin wrights photos ? Iirc it’s it Thirsk or Northallerton ?