Scrapbook Memories (Part 1)

Hi again,a few more old photos…Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I like the Ritsons GUY Bubbs,they had character ! :wink:

Heres a newer one of theres.

A00339.JPG

re maudsley…my dad drove a 1951 maudsley 8 wheel tipper (HAY492) for the whitwick granite company in Leicestershire it was one of five. In fact it was an aec mammoth major mark three I think …it was assembled at a factory in Alcester Worcestershire 9.6 6 cylinder engine 35 mpg flat out…it lasted until 1964…it was sadly outdated by the time the motorways came through. The only thing maudsley on it was the nameplate.

kingswinford kit:
Cheers John ,that Atki was certainly jinxed it had been involved in another accident prior to this ,forgot to mention that eventually it was sold to Smiths of Wem Shropshire , regards Keith

Keith …the Atki unit that crashed at Glyn neath was nasty …the cab was taken clean off …my father adds that it may have been an ex Halls of Bridgend unit …you may remember them …a large tipper fleet mainly …Geraint

Hello again,great Ritsons shot Dean…thanks for sharing it,more oldies again today,Cheers Bubbs, :wink:

I know I must be missing something :blush: , but can someone tell me how that load of logs got onto that Bowaters AEC please ■■ :confused:
Regards. John.

old 67:
I know I must be missing something :blush: , but can someone tell me how that load of logs got onto that Bowaters AEC please ■■ :confused:
Regards. John.

Hiya,
How it stayed on Bowaters AEC is what’s baffling me.
thanks harry, long retired.

Just seems to have a rope running from each side of the headboard to the rear, this may appear somewhat ‘risky’ to us these days but probably all that was needed then, not sure I’d park my car so close behind it though! :open_mouth: Franky.

If I remember correctly, the “ropes” running from front to back were wire ropes, tightened by a ratchet. All right when stationary, but it wouldn’t take much for one of the logs to move during transit, thereby loosening the cable and allowing the whole plot to come unstuck. I can’t remember ever seeing one of those loads slip so it must have been a sight more secure than it looks! :unamused: :blush: :blush:

I think you are both right about the ropes, but what would stop all the logs falling off before the ropes were put on ?
Regards. John.

Maybe two upright posts at the rear end?

That’s got to be some photographic trickery because there’s no way that lot would sit there while somebody was loading it.

Another pic of a Bowaters loaded with timber.

Click on page twice.

Like this maybe. Les

Nice one Les, thanks for that !! :smiley: You were right ROF, well done !!
Regards. John.

Aye, right, a simple explanation. :blush: :blush:

lespullan:
Like this maybe. Les

Didnt you get 1 of those brand new Les :wink: ....... Merry Christmas I hope its not too cold for you up there

old 67:
Nice one Les, thanks for that !! :smiley: You were right ROF, well done !!
Regards. John.

It’s not that I’m brainy, it’s just that I’ve lived long enough to pick up things. As one of my heroes said, " It’s not the years you’ve lived but the miles you’ve travelled". :wink:

it does make me laugh , how do you think we loaded things with out pallets ratchet straps curtains or health and safety lol

ramone:

lespullan:
Like this maybe. Les

Didnt you get 1 of those brand new Les :wink: ....... Merry Christmas I hope its not too cold for you up there

Merry Christmas mate, been down to Bradford today, flying visit, doesn’t get any better does it, saw H Baker rigid do Bower Green run it, it was mucky so must be working, speaking of cold 8 degrees below on Sunday night, I might be 70 but come on now. :blush: :laughing: