Scottish First Minister criticises HGV drivers

…for defying the red weather warning. Just seen it on lunchtime Reporting Scotland.

Perhaps somebody should tell this thick cow that unless you are an owner driver it is down to the operator to decide how they operate their trucks.

Yesterday the Scottish Transport Minister was railing against trucks carrying pipes, household furnishings and the like being on the road and effectively clogging it up. qv M80 thread

Did wonder whether we should be trained in the use of and carry snow chains for the few days of the year it gets a tad ‘snowy’.

Yet predictably she fails to critisize anyone in a car who ignored the “do not travel unless essential” warnings and they get ■■■■■ footed around.
Boot

Got a truck with 2 drivers in Beith, went up yesterday. Currently enjoying a day in front of a fire in a hotel on expenses. :unamused: How’s an Operator supposed to make money, I ask you :cry: :wink:

Quite right too. Any company forcing drivers to leave when there is a red alert need closing down.

Any drivers that obey them are fools.

And where does the diminutive split arse expect the drivers to park while she clears the snow with her gob

Wheel Nut:
And where does the diminutive split arse expect the drivers to park while she clears the snow with her gob

How about in their yards where the operators should have kept them, instead of sending them out into it and hoping for the best?? Of course, saying ‘no’, would require thinking for oneself. :unamused:

They were warning for DAYS in advance that this was coming and as much as 48 hours in advance that it was going to be the highest magnitude of ‘amber’ warning, verging on red… they advised repeatedly to only travel if it was absolutely essential… yet operators were sending wagons out like it was a summers day.

This country is not prepared for that level of snow. The same thing happens every. single. time, there’s more than a wee flurry, yet nobody ever learns - they just ■■■■■ about it when they get stuck / all hell breaks loose, and blame the government, the transport agencies, the EU… everyone, basically, but themselves.

I look forward to reading of the repeat of this tomorrow in the south-west. I’ll get the popcorn on just now.

Just turned a job down to take a gritter body and plough up to Edinburgh again :unamused:

Punchy Dan:
Just turned a job down to take a gritter body and plough up to Edinburgh again :unamused:

Weathers lovely up here now. Bit of a thaw on in the sunshine.

Punchy Dan:

My last gaffers always told me to stay at home whenever it snowed, could possibly do more damage than the truck earned and there would be hardly any tarmac or stone wanted anyway so it was cheaper for me to stay at the fireside! :laughing:

Pete.

The-Snowman:
Yet predictably she fails to critisize anyone in a car who ignored the “do not travel unless essential” warnings and they get ■■■■■ footed around.
Boot

Wee Nickerless isn’t daft there’s more votes in pandering to truck hating car drivers!

Chris1207:

Wheel Nut:

How about in their yards where the operators should have kept them, instead of sending them out into it and hoping for the best?? Of course, saying ‘no’, would require thinking for oneself. :unamused:

They were warning for DAYS in advance that this was coming and as much as 48 hours in advance that it was going to be the highest magnitude of ‘amber’ warning, verging on red… they advised repeatedly to only travel if it was absolutely essential… yet operators were sending wagons out like it was a summers day.

This country is not prepared for that level of snow. The same thing happens every. single. time, there’s more than a wee flurry, yet nobody ever learns - they just ■■■■■ about it when they get stuck / all hell breaks loose, and blame the government, the transport agencies, the EU… everyone, basically, but themselves.

Oh wait and what if we get a proper winter.Great park the whole road transport industry up for months that’ll work when the shops all run out of food and other essentials not to mention the general collapse of the retail indundstry.The fact is we will get another 1963 or 1947.The difference being that then we had an industry based on 8 x 4 rigids and a population of probably less than 50 million.Lack of suitable equipment and drivers too scared to go out and do their job won’t be any excuse if and when the zb hits the fan one year sooner or later in that regard. :unamused:

Surprised Wee Burney didn’t clarify that she was referring to English hgv drivers…

Carryfast:

Chris1207:

Wheel Nut:

Oh wait and what if we get a proper winter.Great park the whole road transport industry up for months that’ll work when the shops all run out of food and other essentials not to mention the general collapse of the retail indundstry.The fact is we will get another 1963 or 1947.The difference being that then we had an industry based on 8 x 4 rigids and a population of probably less than 50 million.Lack of suitable equipment and drivers too scared to go out and do their job won’t be any excuse if and when the zb hits the fan one year sooner or later in that regard. :unamused:

• 1 – toshboy

Not quite…she was quoted in the Herald criticising haulage companies who were sending drivers out during a red warning, and carrying non essentials, pointing out a stranded vehicle carrying furniture. She stressed that she was not having a go at drivers who had been instructed to do so.
After a week of driving around North East England and Scotland in this ■■■■■■ I’d be tempted to agree…

druncle:
Not quite…she was quoted in the Herald criticising haulage companies who were sending drivers out during a red warning, and carrying non essentials, pointing out a stranded vehicle carrying furniture. She stressed that she was not having a go at drivers who had been instructed to do so.
After a week of driving around in this [zb], I’d be tempted to agree.

We’ve continued to send out our fleet to all points of the compass with our non-essential goods on board and absolutely no thought of doing anything else. Wee nickerless has a point and government could put a stop to it all in a minute.

druncle:
After a week of driving around in this [zb], I’d be tempted to agree.

Not on the tv bulletin she wasn’t…

Tv interviews can be edited. As can printed articles.
Just saying what it said in the paper , hoping it might calm down a few :laughing:

sturgeon tea pot.jpg

I can’t stand Sturgeon, but…She did NOT have a go at drivers!
I listened to her on Thursdays Radio Scotland News, she did say a lot of HGV’s shouldn’t have been on the road as they were not essential.
She specifically DID say she was NOT criticising drivers as she felt there was a H & S issue with them being told to go on the roads.
In todays Daily Record, even the police did not blame the drivers.
DHL was highlighted in the paper for sending their drivers out when it was against all advice.
As we all know, most firms don’t care what problems drivers have out on the road, they just don’t care, the last few days was an example of that.

Alex

druncle:
After a week of driving around North East England and Scotland in this [zb], I’d be tempted to agree…

IF that is what she said, what is there to disagree about. :bulb: …she is exactly right.
The only ones who would disagree on those points, are the incompetent and feckless type TMs, and the teararse ‘‘I’ll do anything me’’ type hero/knob heads. :unamused: