Scottish First Minister criticises HGV drivers

She actually said there were branded vehicles carrying essential supplies

Here’s what she said Click here

Humza Yousaf was on the radio at 8AM on Wed Listen here defending (IMO)
drivers despite the best efforts of the presenter.

It’s storm in a tea cup. Today’s news tomorrow’s chip paper.

Colingl:
Here’s what she said Click here

So let’s say that type of severe weather continues from December to March for example next year.What does she intend to do.

Park up all the trucks and close down road transport for 3-4 months.

Or tell the bad weather that it must stop within a few days.

Or do something about the situation of trucks which can’t handle a few inches of snow without folding up in a helpless heap grid locking the road system even for anything left which might be able to move ?.At the very least it’s time for a rule that artics must carry chains from November to March and drivers must use them when required. :bulb:

Carryfast:
Or do something about the situation of trucks which can’t handle a few inches of snow without folding up in a helpless heap grid locking the road system even for anything left which might be able to move ?.At the very least it’s time for a rule that artics must carry chains from November to March and drivers must use them when required. :bulb:

You don’t even need chains. Winter tyres would prevent a lot of this. They don’t chain up in Germany but its mandatory to use winter tyres from 1st November to 15th April. Much of the problems we have are from using those bloody teflon coated eco-tyres which lose grip on a dry sunny summers day let alone in slush and snow.

So the government and highway men all of a sudden are experts in logistics?

How about this then? Edinburgh and Glasgow are two major cities joined by a motorway, make sure we have 6 or 8 ploughs available tomorrow, not all drivers live 5 minutes away from their delivery point

Conor:
Winter tyres would prevent a lot of this. They don’t chain up in Germany but its mandatory to use winter tyres from 1st November to 15th April. Much of the problems we have are from using those bloody teflon coated eco-tyres which lose grip on a dry sunny summers day let alone in slush and snow.

Modern tyre technology seems to be the biggest elephant in the room in this case compared to earlier times.There seems to be no such thing as a good all weather compound and tread pattern now.

Winter Tyres are not worth a ■■■■ if the snow isn’t ploughed or blown off the roads in the first place

Sand Fisher:
…for defying the red weather warning. Just seen it on lunchtime Reporting Scotland.

Perhaps somebody should tell this thick cow that unless you are an owner driver it is down to the operator to decide how they operate their trucks.

Yesterday the Scottish Transport Minister was railing against trucks carrying pipes, household furnishings and the like being on the road and effectively clogging it up. qv M80 thread

Did wonder whether we should be trained in the use of and carry snow chains for the few days of the year it gets a tad ‘snowy’.

Not true. However, believing what the BBC tells you?
She specifically says she does not blame HGV drivers.

youtube.com/watch?v=9gK1elK … tion=share

Probably one of the reasons for so many lorries getting stuck nowadays is the fact that most UK lorries are 6x2, in a 4x2 if you have 10.5ton on the pin then that is all over the drive axle to aid traction, whereas with a 6x2 that weight is split between 2 axles one of which is not a drive axle. I know with some makes you can transfer weight at low speeds but how many companies have this as standard as most large companies seem to go for the most basic of specs.

Mazzer2:
I know with some makes you can transfer weight at low speeds but how many companies have this as standard as most large companies seem to go for the most basic of specs.

I’ve yet to see a lorry without it in however it does required that the driver actually knows what the strange symbol on the button means.

Didn’t help me in the yard at Northampton last night trying to reverse a trailer into a parking slot up a slight incline even with diff lock on, Teflon Tyres again. Funny how the shunter with its almost bald ones had no problem.

Mazzer2:
Probably one of the reasons for so many lorries getting stuck nowadays is the fact that most UK lorries are 6x2, in a 4x2 if you have 10.5ton on the pin then that is all over the drive axle to aid traction, whereas with a 6x2 that weight is split between 2 axles one of which is not a drive axle. I know with some makes you can transfer weight at low speeds but how many companies have this as standard as most large companies seem to go for the most basic of specs.

If it’s a 6 x 2 the nose weight on the trailer is actually more than on a 4 x 2 obviously to the point of 44t gross v 40t.IE it’s still the same 10.5 t allowed on the drive.While it’s easy to confuse the 6 x 2 bogie design as being an equal spread when it’s actually designed to be an unequal one I’d guess using the respective axle air suspension to create the required differential. :bulb:

As for it all being dependent on roads being perfectly ploughed that’s totally unrealistic because a snow plough can’t be everywhere at once.In which case the rule of less weight on more drive axles is better than more weight on one in deep snow applies.Just as double drive is the usually accepted spec for tippers and gritters/ploughs.Without that luxury it’s going to take chains to stand a chance of keeping a single drive axle moving in proper weather with even the Scandinavians now rethinking their old design approach in that regard.

Im assuming the furniture lorry being refered to was the Whytes Removal wagon and drag. Poor sods were probably just trying to get home to Elgin after moving a member of the armed forces… Half hour earlier and they would have been past it all and home safe. Hardly a non essential trip for them or their family in my book. Most of the wagons I seen caught up all appeared to be heading in direction of the depots… Is it only office and factory workers have the right to go home in bad weather?

Carryfast:

Mazzer2:

If it’s a 6 x 2 the nose weight on the trailer is actually more than on a 4 x 2 obviously to the point of 44t gross v 40t.IE it’s still the same 10.5 t allowed on the drive.While it’s easy to confuse the 6 x 2 bogie design as being an equal spread when it’s actually designed to be an unequal one I’d guess using the respective axle air suspension to create the required differential. :bulb:

The gross weight is not particularly relevant as it will be spread over the whole vehicle, I have been loaded at 46t in a 4x2 yet only had a pin weight of 11t depends on how you load the trailer, but if you have one less contact point with the ground then it stands to reason that those points will exert more pressure.

Mazzer2:

Where I worked previously had volvo 500 double drive tag axle, it was spec’d up to be able to lift the tag even at 44t as it did lots of landfill.

Totally the opposite where I am now in a MAN 400 4x2 with lots of blank buttons on the dash :laughing:

mrginge:

Mazzer2:

Where I worked previously had volvo 500 double drive tag axle, it was spec’d up to be able to lift the tag even at 44t as it did lots of landfill.

Totally the opposite where I am now in a MAN 400 4x2 with lots of blank buttons on the dash :laughing:

Never seen one of them? If the Volvo is a tag axle, it`s not a double drive surely?

EDIT, live and learn…volvotrucks.com/en-lb/trucks … -lift.html

Yeah they got it last summer and it was new tech as the other double drives didn’t have lift axles and the tag axles didn’t have double drive. It was because the lorries were doing more motorway miles then before so the tag was better for mpg then a traditional double drive.

CraigM:
Im assuming the furniture lorry being refered to was the Whytes Removal wagon and drag. Poor sods were probably just trying to get home to Elgin after moving a member of the armed forces… Half hour earlier and they would have been past it all and home safe. Hardly a non essential trip for them or their family in my book. Most of the wagons I seen caught up all appeared to be heading in direction of the depots… Is it only office and factory workers have the right to go home in bad weather?

Was certainly the case for someone I know. Deliveries got cancelled but he was already out, tried to get back and unfortunately got caught up on the M80.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mazzer2:

Carryfast:

The gross weight is not particularly relevant as it will be spread over the whole vehicle, I have been loaded at 46t in a 4x2 yet only had a pin weight of 11t depends on how you load the trailer, but if you have one less contact point with the ground then it stands to reason that those points will exert more pressure.

Going by normal types use 46 t gross on on 5 axles is illegal here it can only be 40t max.While 44t gross is definitely based on 6 axles and a 10.5t drive axle weight.If the drive is loaded at significantly less than that at 44t then there will be an axle overload somewhere else.While assuming running at lighter than max gross let alone empty then obviously all bets are off but what is certain is that you can load a 6x2 with a 10.5t drive axle weight regardless.

As for exerting more pressure by putting more load on the drive that ain’t going to work in deep snow when what’s needed is exactly the opposite and more drive,just as in the case of getting a tipper through deep mud.Which is why the Scandinavians are now starting to realise that they’ve actually been wrong in that regard all these years and the Americans were right.Hence the best of all worlds in the form of lift axle double drive. :bulb:

Sand Fisher:
…for defying the red weather warning. Just seen it on lunchtime Reporting Scotland.

Perhaps somebody should tell this thick cow that unless you are an owner driver it is down to the operator to decide how they operate their trucks.

Yesterday the Scottish Transport Minister was railing against trucks carrying pipes, household furnishings and the like being on the road and effectively clogging it up. qv M80 thread

Did wonder whether we should be trained in the use of and carry snow chains for the few days of the year it gets a tad ‘snowy’.

Easy answer … Don’t deliver in Scotland and see how fast that horrible little woman complains about lorry drivers then. The shopw would soon be empty.
I really, really, really hate that woman. :angry: :angry: :angry: