Sciatica

Trapped nerve down left side of hip, diagnosed as drivers bum!!!

hurts like **** any ideas ?

exercised and taken anti inflammatory, serious mobility issues for an Under 50. !!!

snap

i got it aswell been going phisio for 3 months and now ive got to go to the hospital gym aswell

but its still not getting anybetter

After a week tramping, if i sit down at home, I can’t stand, seriously it is screwing my life !!!
There must be an exercise or tablet cure

Not taking the mickey but make sure you’re not sitting on your wallet, does me in at times but gets better when I remove my wallet. :confused:

I was diagnosed with this and struggled with it for 3 years before it got so bad that I couldn’t even get out of bed!!! the doctor sent me to the hospital who immediately gave me an MRI scan the following day I was diagnosed with lower back problems due to what would have been called slipped discs which I had to have operation for! I found laying on my stomach for ten minutes at a time with a bag of frozen peas over my back helped as did lumbar traction but these were only temporary measures. Worthy of note don’t have your seat heaters on as this imflames your back and dont pull up and burst into pulling curtains etc doing work asap, take your time exiting cab as your back is stretching back out after been sat in a crap position for hours! Oh and take plenty of dihadracodeine (excuse spelling but when pain is really bad they help you loose a day!)

I had sciatica many years ago. It manifests itself when you’ve been sitting down for a long time, or often when you’re lying in bed, really bad pain extends down one leg. Usually the only way to ease the pain is to get up & move around. Started off with injections in the base of the spine followed by physio but eventually I gave up on that & went to a chiropractor - expensive but he cured it after only a couple of sessions.

Must admit to having had more than my fair share of it over the years, seems to get worse with the colder weather (more layers of clothing) or blazing hot days. I packed one job in as ten minutes in the Scania was enough to almost need lifting out of the cab.
Gentle stretching and light exercise seemed to work for me but the biggest difference came from what sounds the daftest idea going, turns out when I stand or walk I never used to straighten my legs out fully, I always had a slight bend in my knees and it tends to make you lean forward a bit, it all puts pressure on the nerves and aggravates the problem, (also leads to problems with the muscles around the knees for some people), add to that hours of sitting in cabs where it was impossible to straighten out properly and it’s a recipe for pain.

A good physio will help, not one of those bone cruncher osteopaths though. Your physio should be able to give you a series of exercises to do in the cab whilst driving too - mine did, thses usually involve tightening and relaxing muscles in the back and some stretching. if your doctor is any good he should prescribe painkillers, but if you are in the UK he sadly probably wont, they seem to have an aversion to pain releif over there.

I suffer terrible with this , all made worse by a very badly broken left leg 6 years ago, I’ve tried all sorts , the axor in work near cripples me by Friday , any way try looking for somebody that does the bowen technique, it really helps , better than a chiropractor & much cheaper , also your bed can be a cause, I found when I stayed at the inlaws after a few days I was pain free , one night back in my bed in pain again , its down to the mattress , forget memory foam , you need an individual pocket sprung mattress , there may be q cost but its worth it , people spend thousands on cars that they only spend a little time in yet a bed they want to spend the least , I got one from Bensons for beds , the savoy range , best buy ever ,makes a huge difference , & don’t forget to stretch in the mornings , sit down legs straight out in front , back straight & lean forward , don’t over do it , just gently, I do this at the top of the stairs to help getting up , also stand up feet together, put hands between knees , keep back & shoulder straight, then push stomach up as if your trying to go through your back , again take it easy , but definitely look at the bed , I’m 32 and was suffering terribly, things are a lot easier now …

i had a truck with a broken damper in the seat and foolishly carried on using it.the seat would catapult up and down at the slightest bump…but i thought it would be ok as it would be absorbing the bumps.
not so :cry: the constant loading and unloading of my lower spine caused inflamation in my discs until one day one of them herniated,trapping a nerve…which resulted in the most excruciating pain i have ever had to endure.
the pain ran through my buttock down the back of my leg and into my toes…it actually felt like my calf muscle was going to explode :cry:
after hobbling around like a ■■■■■■■ for several months i went to see a chiropracter who twisted me about like a rag doll,and also gave me a course of accupuncture.
i saw him a total of 6 times,and if im honest he didnt really achieve much…but it was a relief to know my discs were in place,and that i hadnt done something more serious. in the end i just accepted the fact my back was ■■■■■■ and carried on the best i could.fortunately after about a year it got better on its own,but even now(2 years later)ive still got numb toes. i now have my drivers seat set with virtually no movement at all,and atm all seems fine :sunglasses: . the chiropracter told me youve gotta take back injuries very seriously,coz once they`re ■■■■■■ they usually stay ■■■■■■ :bulb:

Ive never had any back problems until my company stuck some old buses on my route and the seats were knackered!

Went to see an osteopath, who did some good but never cured the problem.

Ive recently had 6 sessions with a physio and the difference has been amazing!!
He showed me exercises to do at home and on the bus and theses have helped. He told me that people who sit down whilst at work, drivers/office etc etc suffer with back problems and one of the cause is that your glutons(bum muscles) pack up. They are very important at supporting your back and need to be used.

I do 6 different exercises per day, if I do them all at once it takes about 30 minutes, however, I can do 2 of the exercises on the bus, and do them at the end of each journey.

My advice would be to see a physio, I saw my doctor, but, TBH, he was useless.

i used to get it when i was on the car transporters tried all the normal stuff didnt work,then i tried acupunture 2 visits and ive never had it again

hi there ive had since i was in my early 20s now im 30 i had it really bad a few months ago and couldnt walk at all i went for bowen therapy and with 4 sessions of it ive never had any pain since its the best thing ive done to sort my back pain

bowen-technique.co.uk/

Sorry to hear I am not alone, doctors do not understand the intensity of pain. Maybe a career change :frowning:

hi there get bowen therapy they told me that the pain in my back is there because the nerve cant find its route back to the brain to repair the pain, once they flick a few of your muscles the pain will find its way back to your brain and repair the nerve you will see instant results i was a skeptic when i first got it but if it ever comes back anywhere on my body i will be right back for more :slight_smile: if you want a quick fix put epsom salts in bath and that should ease the pain :slight_smile:

As i lay here on my back writing this. resting after my third (and very serious ) spinal op, i can only reccomend a career change. This has left me disabled in my right leg this time, and when i get fit again after a year of some very intense pain i’m going for a desk job :frowning: . I’ll miss driving as it’s all i’ve wanted to, and ever done, but i can’t and won’t risk it again.

Yes i had it a few years ago. wouldnt wish the pain on anyone. i was on the floor for over 4 months couldnt move apart from only inches on the floor!! i couldnt lay in any bed what so ever or anything soft i had to lay on the room floor on my side what was giving me pain couldnt lay on my back or my other side, even in the hospital the pain was that bad i had to lay on the floor in the tv room after crawling in there :open_mouth: they wouldnt inject me with morphine till a few days in the hospital. i couldnt walk as the pain was that bad, and belive me i have a good old pain threshold!!. injections in the spine etc,etc,etc and nothing worked for me, belive it or not when i started to get mobile after months of been on my side on the floor, i had to walk with a zimmer frame just to try to take a little pain away. then onto crutches as the weeks went along.the simple tasks of going to the toilet :blush: was near on impossible the pain was that bad… after aprox of 5~6 months the pain was easing even now a good few years on i still get pain my leg botton of my back “like a knife been stuck in and twisted like mad” and the underside of my foot is like someone running red hot wire wool up and down it… pluse a dull pins and needles as well
what worked for me ■■ mmmmmmh nothing really… liquid morphen i drank that like pop total waste of time,
settled on taking 8~10+ dicloephenic… 8~10+ codine phosphates… 8~10+ paracetomols each day sometime a few more took these for around 4 years each day… it kept the pain to a min each day didnt take it completly away but it seemed to help a fair bit and i new well in advance when i was ready for more tablets as would start to struggle in standing straight etc…
But what works for one doesnt always work for the next person… i have 2 discs what a u/s and this is the cause where it pulls the nerve into the disc/fluid and traps it… wouldnt have a op as i was told it was a 60/40 % chance of not been able to walk again with the op ■■? but they have to tell you the worst dont they “lol” i chooce to live with it… also diazepam seems to take the pain away but be careful taking that tablet !!!

N14ERF:
As i lay here on my back writing this. resting after my third (and very serious ) spinal op, i can only reccomend a career change. This has left me disabled in my right leg this time, and when i get fit again after a year of some very intense pain i’m going for a desk job :frowning: . I’ll miss driving as it’s all i’ve wanted to, and ever done, but i can’t and won’t risk it again.

Yes a career change is the only remedy as sitting for hours on end is a back killer (in most cases) so I would not recommend a desk job, still a little better than sitting in the saddle all day.

Just a note gentlemen, has this issue happened at work (odds on it has) and have you made sure any injury that caused you back problems was recorded into the accident register & at some stage visited your GP.
That being the case you can when the condition gets to bad claim Industrial Injury Benefit, but only (yes I know you are genuine) if you are not a time waster as they really know what they are looking at these days.

Things you must avoid doing …
Jumping down from anything, this means you need to climb down from the cab & not hop out like we have all done for years.
When able walk & do this at the very least at the end of shift, can you switch to a more active delivery role instead of hours in the saddle ?

Regards.
Doctor Dodgy.

Glooby have the OP mate. :wink:

Dodgy Permit:
Glooby have the OP mate. :wink:

Narr i no a few who have had the op and it made no diffrence at all and most wish they hadnt had it done, when they said 60/40 of not walking again i was ment to say not walking correctly and having to walk most tikmes with a stick…after i had heald up… again the pain gets you down and no one can say how it is until you have it and even then some get it ok some get it worse etc, i just watch what i do now sometimes i may over do it and i no with in a couple of hours max… but sod the op it aint for me that, but i pity those who have it man do i pity them