Scania r560 topline v8- mpg?

Hi all, ive just got my new truck which is a r560 v8 topline… Now im only getting about 7 mpg when on full pull (44t)… Just wondering if anyone can confirm if this is roughly about right? Scania are claiming these trucks can achieve 9-10!! I cant even get that when empty!

Thanks

Weechris90:
Hi all, ive just got my new truck which is a r560 v8 topline… Now im only getting about 7 mpg when on full pull (44t)… Just wondering if anyone can confirm if this is roughly about right? Scania are claiming these trucks can achieve 9-10!! I cant even get that when empty!Thanks

welcome to the site! If you fell for scamming yer lies, well my heart bleeds! :open_mouth: nice truck, it’ll cost you plenty! :unamused: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

If you honestly thought the truck you needed for 44 tonne work was a 560bhp V8 then fuel economy clearly wasn’t at the top of your priorities…

Well i havent bought it! Sorry shouldve said the company i work for got it… Anyway that aside, does 7mpg seem normal for pulling that kind of weight?

I get about 7.4 mpg with a 500 bhp Renault Magnum on 44 tonne work so I would say your figure was about right.

And I’ll just add that you won’t know what fuel consumption it is getting unless you do a tank-to-tank calculation with a pencil and paper, I wouldn’t take any notice of what it says on the dashboard display.

Once she beds in you’ll get better than that out of rhe new scania v8’s the 560 is well spoken of as being good on diesel, hence their popularity

Ok guys, thanks for the input! I’ll just needto see how i go :smiley:

You’ll get 9 ish out of a 420 “always plenty with a 420”

Anyone who tells you they are getting 10mpg from a v8 scania are talking crap.
7 to 7.5 is much more realistic.

It’s not so much to do with the size of the engine, more the weight you are pulling and the terrain you are pulling it over.

Yes Harry we’re not stupid but if you want the big hp you pay the price on fuel economy but make it up with faster journey times thus making the truck more productive.

145.JPGDrove this R560 V8 tag on low loader work for almost 4 years. Although it was plated at STGO CAT 2 and sometimes i would run at heavy weights, I would as frequently be running under weight at around 38 tonnes and very rarely achieved any more than 7.5 mpg. However, when running with a flat trailer on general work for a week achieved around 8.2mpg. This was pulling Timber etc though so still fairly heavy work. As stated in a previous post the V8 scania will never be the vehicle to break fuel economy records. Dan

bigtruck:
Yes Harry we’re not stupid but if you want the big hp you pay the price on fuel economy but make it up with faster journey times thus making the truck more productive.

I’m sorry faster journey times I don’t agree with not in the uk any way may b on a round trip to Spain yes but general haulage in this country def not
In my eyes you buy a v8 cos u want one not cos u need one

It doesn’t take a lot for the difference to be a driver doing a round trip and getting a trailer back to a port for an overnight sailing, or having to take his time off and not get said trailer back until the following mornings sailing.

Harry Monk:
It’s not so much to do with the size of the engine, more the weight you are pulling and the terrain you are pulling it over.

and how tight the nut on the end of the throttle is :wink:

monarch of the highway:

bigtruck:

I’m sorry faster journey times I don’t agree with not in the uk any way may b on a round trip to Spain yes but general haulage in this country def not
In my eyes you buy a v8 cos u want one not cos u need one

That’s true I can’t see why people try and justify there purchase.

You should be getting about 8.5 om a motorway run just learn to drive it properly i know one operator getting 8.4 out of 620’s the 560 in factory trim is pants on fuel compared to others and does need the torque band moving to get the best out of it, i take it its auto use it in Manual also on motorways flick it in manual as well then it wont go down 2 gears on every little hill

Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Had a V8 Scania and the fuel figures didn’t start going up till it hit 100,000km. Pulled ferry trailers and we were loaded both ways 90% of the time. It averaged 8.5 mpg and was driven without fuel economy in mind. Used to do a light load on long distance and could see 10 mpg+.
It probably doesn’t help these days as the manufacturers keep putting these automatic gearboxes in everything. :smiley:

At the end of the day they all only do 56 mph. :stuck_out_tongue: