Scania R500 (2004) Any advice?

was looking at changing my daf 85 for a scania 440 480 0r 500,does anybody have experience with theese trucks?

31 straw:
was looking at changing my daf 85 for a scania 440 480 0r 500,does anybody have experience with theese trucks?

yeah dont touch the six pot scrapia’s as they all cost a fortune too fix, rather go the hog n buy a v8 if you goin for a scrapia

I’m looking at a 54 plate R500, 450k kms. The idea being poss remap and eminox/whoever euro4 conversion with change over valve (to straight through) so as to bypass the expensive filter when not in the LEZ and still keeping an analogue tacho. Any ideas :question:

cant help with the scania but i have been thinking the same about the change over valve!
can anyone report back with results after having a trap/filter fited to a euro 3 engine?
cheers moose

Have been told by more than 1 friend thats had these fitted they [zb] the power on the trucks and 1 over heated.Also only good for about 2014 so seems pointless to me.If you are going to spend that sort of money i would put it towards a euro 5 truck so it’s good for 8 years by that time the truck will be due to be replaced anyway.The change over valve isn’t a bad idea but i still think you shouldn’t fit something that a old truck isn’t fitted with.After 2012 euro 3 trucks are only worth export money so run till they cost you and stay away from London (sub the job if you have to) and still get the same export money 2 or 3 years later for your euro 3.

Have just bought 2 euro 5 trucks with rpc for £30,000 less than Scania priced 1 so will not be having Scania’s this time. :unamused:

I just think if you are getting a truck to keep you will be mad not to buy euro 5 as for digi tac hasen’t made any differance to me and you will allways sell a euro 5 if you needed to.

Thanks for the replys, not been able to get on here for long enough to respond!

JOBE:

Have been told by more than 1 friend thats had these fitted they [zb] the power on the trucks and 1 over heated.

I’ve also heard this but only hearsay. You’d like to think an expensive product like that wouldn’t be marketed as a cure all only to cause more problems than it solved. Proof’s in the pudding I s’pose. :unamused:

Also only good for about 2014 so seems pointless to me.

I assume you mean in terms of the LEZ? I posted a question a while ago on here to see if anyone had any links to show in black and white that they’re uping it again at that point to Euro5. Still looking.

If you are going to spend that sort of money i would put it towards a euro 5 truck so it’s good for 8 years by that time the truck will be due to be replaced anyway.

I personally would rather see how the work levels pan out over the next 12 - 24 months before spending Euro5 money. Unless you like Premiums! Btw the motor in question is a bit of a one off, in as much as it worked for the first 5 years of it’s life and has been mothballed since (2 yrs). Asking price is around the low 20’s. He hasn’t given me a definite price yet though.

The change over valve isn’t a bad idea but i still think you shouldn’t fit something that a old truck isn’t fitted with.

I take your point, but tbh this was the point of this thread, to gauge opinion from those that have.

After 2012 euro 3 trucks are only worth export money so run till they cost you and stay away from London (sub the job if you have to) and still get the same export money 2 or 3 years later for your euro 3.

Tbh nobody knows which way the wind will blow re used prices after jan '12. The dealers have a vested interest in bigging up the coming ‘storm’. The common consensus among people i know and deal with in the job is “■■■■■■■■ to London”.
With that in mind, if there are enough operators/owner drivers that don’t see the lack of ability to carry out London work as a problem, then there will still be enough of a market there for late euro3 motors.
Maritime and the other big players are already kitted out for it as the line work they do demands it, John Smith o/d will just tell the clearing house he’s pulling for not to give him any London work. This, I think will create a sort of “Carbon underclass” of those that can/will and those that can’t/won’t. So, for the main part the clearing houses will be unable to undertake any London jobs which, in theory will mean more work/better rates for those that will. Whether the big boys can put enough kit in place to plug this gap remains to be seen. On the flip side would the, theoretically, now London work, starved clearing houses become even more agressive in their attempts to secure non-London work?

You’ll never get them to put it in black and white until this LEZ euro4 has all gone through same as when they did euro 3.You are looking through rose tinted glasses there will be a lot more major cities to go down the LEZ route and as for euro 3 prices they will drop down like euro 2 did.If you can get away with telling your customers you will not go to London and they will still give you all the work away from London then you have nothing to worry about.My point is if you are in this for the long haul buying a euro5 for 35000ish or buying a euro3 for 20000ish and spending 6000ish on a system that’s not normally fitted to that vehicle doesn’t make any business sense to me, Work is out there it’s what each haulier needs as a profit that will see them through it.Going back 2 years ago most people with any idear knew the slow down was coming so pulled there belts in and so now the end is near :unamused: they stand a better but not garenteed chance off getting through and you all will need euro 4/5/6/? to keep up with your customers and the times.

Plus if you do need to down size you will allways sell the euro 5.

But like you say time will tell, you have to do what you think is best for yourself.

Goaty:
With that in mind, if there are enough operators/owner drivers that don’t see the lack of ability to carry out London work as a problem, then there will still be enough of a market there for late euro3 motors.
Maritime and the other big players are already kitted out for it as the line work they do demands it, John Smith o/d will just tell the clearing house he’s pulling for not to give him any London work. This, I think will create a sort of “Carbon underclass” of those that can/will and those that can’t/won’t. So, for the main part the clearing houses will be unable to undertake any London jobs which, in theory will mean more work/better rates for those that will. Whether the big boys can put enough kit in place to plug this gap remains to be seen. On the flip side would the, theoretically, now London work, starved clearing houses become even more agressive in their attempts to secure non-London work?

:unamused: Come on Paul, you don’t seriously believe or even think that.

And I agree with Ben about your rose-tinted glasses. As soon as euro 4 is sorted out they’ll be laying down the plans for euro 5 so I wouldn’t be gambling any of my money that I’d be “safe” for some years simply based on there being no fixed date for it yet. You’re setting yourself up for a good shafting there imho :open_mouth: . Also agree with Ben about the LEZ being extended to other cities, probably not in the short term, but certainly the medium term as companies/councils/government are all under huge pressure with this carbon tax & emissions reduction BS.

Just noticed the last piece of my reply was missing re digi-tach, which for me is a big issue.

My own experience of using digi’s has made very anti the bloody things and I will stay away from them for as long as it’s viablely possible.

The thought behind this motor as an option is based on the recent(ish) trend of V8 Scanias, granted much older ones, to apreciate in value. They certainly seem to exist in a bubble when compared with other motors.
So, that alone was the main consideration given the money the seller is after for it.

The LEZ has been debated at length on here already, raising a lot of good points.

Rob, I have, in other threads said pretty much the same about other cities following Londons lead and agree, for once, with you! :open_mouth:

But, as Moose has said, it would be interesting to hear from anyone thats taken the plunge with one of these systems. So, “rose tinted glasses” they ain’t.

The comment about London rates/clearing houses would only be short term, I know, maybe a year to 18 months. But as most will agree thats a long time in this business.

these work quite well on a scania

gogzy:
these work quite well on BMW’s

Fixed that for ya Gogzy! :wink:

tried it with mine…the thing cant seem to catch fire…spose you cant burn {zb}

YOU CAN BUT IT SMELLS :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Goaty:
Just noticed the last piece of my reply was missing re digi-tach, which for me is a big issue.

My own experience of using digi’s has made very anti the bloody things and I will stay away from them for as long as it’s viablely possible.

If you plan to stay in business into the future then you don’t have any choice in the matter. May as well get it out of the way now and be done with it. You saying you want to stay away from them for as long as possible suggests to me that you’re considering packing up in the not-too-distant future as then you wouldn’t need digitacho at all. ■■

The thought behind this motor as an option is based on the recent(ish) trend of V8 Scanias, granted much older ones, to apreciate in value. They certainly seem to exist in a bubble when compared with other motors.
So, that alone was the main consideration given the money the seller is after for it.

Is that really the case though or are you imagining it? Asking prices don’t = selling prices. :bulb: The 3 series V8 has a following because it was an all-round damned good truck, hence the prices, but the 4 series and R series? ? ? Nothing special there except endless maintenance problems and wannabes sticking an extra £10k on their value because they’ve got a couple of light bars.

With fuel prices due to take 2 more substantial hikes this tax year and also with the demand for euro 5 motors increasing due to the impending LEZ, I think you will find that your new euro 3/4 compatible R500 will be worth peanuts when you come to sell it as no-one will want it apart from exporters. :bulb:

JOBE:
YOU CAN BUT IT SMELLS :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

yep unlike a scanny which can easily burn…:smiley:

Had a DAF burn out but never had a scania :grimacing:

I have to say the DAF wasn’t mine :laughing:

Least when I hit things on a racetrack in my BMW I don’t damage it :slight_smile:

I don’t race my BMW’s on race tracks just the roads :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Rob K:

If you plan to stay in business into the future then you don’t have any choice in the matter.

Iirc there are still people running 88’s and Atki Borderers! :wink:

May as well get it out of the way now and be done with it.

What are you, PR director for ■■■■■■■ Stoneridge :question:

You saying you want to stay away from them for as long as possible suggests to me that you’re considering packing up in the not-too-distant future as then you wouldn’t need digitacho at all. ■■

You do come out with some crap at times Rob. I’m currently running 2 - 54 plate trucks on profitable work. After Jan they can’t go to London without being modified. Not the end of the world. Certainly not indicative of me packing up.
My OP was to see if given a suitable Euro3 platform, in this case a 7 year old V8 Scania, with c.450,000 kms on it, and which still comes with my prefered analogue tacho, it would be viable to fit said trap/filter to it. It has to said, if you were looking to see an extended working life from a truck the V8 (usually) takes some beating.

Is that really the case though or are you imagining it? Asking prices don’t = selling prices. :bulb: The 3 series V8 has a following because it was an all-round damned good truck, hence the prices, but the 4 series and R series? ? ? Nothing special there except endless maintenance problems and wannabes sticking an extra £10k on their value because they’ve got a couple of light bars.

Only market forces will decide that tbh. Not being a light bar obsessed wannabe I wouldn’t know…

With fuel prices due to take 2 more substantial hikes this tax year and also with the demand for euro 5 motors increasing due to the impending LEZ, I think you will find that your new euro 3/4 compatible R500 will be worth peanuts when you come to sell it as no-one will want it apart from exporters. :bulb:

Again, maybe, maybe not. It’d be interesting to hear from somebody that has first hand experience of them, instead of a Brian Weatherly wannabe :bulb: :wink:

Edit - spelling. :blush:

JOBE:
I don’t race my BMW’s on race tracks just the roads :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

No you just hit bridges with your scannys on track

And streeto ain’t cool