Scania R440 vs Volvo FH13 460hp

Hi Guys,

I am currently driving a Daf XF 105 and I will getting my own truck within the next couple of weeks. I have the following options though, but unsure which one?

1st - Scania R440 6x2 '11 reg with 34,000km on it
It’s got Opticruise, fridge freezer, highline cab etc.

2nd - Volvo FH13 460 GXL '60 reg with 106,000km on it
Again high cab, all mod cons (+leather seats)

What’s best on fuel, comfort and to drive? I am leaning towards R440.

Cheers,
Luke

if it was me , volvo every time.

Volvo, nobody drives a Swedish bedford by choice.

Any particular reasons why?

RobTrucker:
Any particular reasons why?

The drivers chair is a park bench and the headlights are candle powered, and when loaded handle like a sack of ■■■■■■
Has to come third behind the DUF.

Volvo for the Ishift, but scania for driving position, at the moment I drive a 08 Volvo 440 and I get an average 8mpg running at 44t most of the time…At the end of the day they are pretty much the same thing and it will depend entirely on how you feel…

Volvo every time.

I thought most would want the Scania…not sure why lol.

I got a 60 plate R 440 Highline at the mo. there are also Volvo 460 GXL’s on our fleet I’ve only had a Globetrotter for a week, found that sloping front encroching on the interior though, but I shift streets ahead of opticruise. been returning around 9 mpg on mixed weight container work. Highliner has plenty of room to live in, I do 4 nights every week.

I’ve got a Friday truck though, as its had quite a few faults mainly to do with chaffing wires or air pipes, and a leaking roof hatch. Off the 10 440’s that are on are fleet off the same batch most of the others have been problem free exccept for one requiring new batteries.There is allways there is allways a rogue motor :unamused:

I think with all these things you have to look at which you prefer as pro’s and con’s with them all :wink:

We have just got a load of new R440’s. Don’t know if it makes any difference to you but the fuel economy is shocking compared to the R480’s we also have.

I have heard bad things about the R480s - fuel being apparently bad, eating parts etc.

you’re going to here good and bad on both i would say. Fuel consumption is something i like to see rather than hear about as there is a hell of a lot that goes into it.

For me though i’m a Volvo man. I-shift is a god send and I can’t say it better than it just works… Most “complete” truck on the market in my opinion

It’s all down to personal preference. Myself as many know I love my Scania, loads of room, good gearbox, pulls well and is a comfortable dream to drive. Undoubtedly the Volvo is a good truck but I got in one of new ones recently and they are just so badly let down with the sloping screen, it felt so cramped. My Scania feels big and light an airy in comparison. My Scania has also been very reliable. Only had a cracked air pipe and even then it got back to the dealer no problem.

I’m not a Scania fan because I always have been. I am because for 5 years I’ve been driving them they have turned me into a big fan. When I came to Virginia I didn’t even like Scanias.

volvo all day long,scania has a crap bed gutless engine

Volvo all the way, if the Scania 440 engine is as gutless as our 420s then its quicker to walk…

I have not driven either make for years the last scania i had was a 3 series and the last volvo was one of the first fh’s on a l plate although i have mates who have got both if it was me i would go for the volvo as the i shift is supposed to be the best on the market and it has the bigger engine as for the slopping screen u can get used to that and i did not find that a problem having said that i used to do 5 nights out a week in a wendy house so any thing on that is an improvement as for scanias i just do not like the look of the bottom bunk i would also take into account how close the dealer is and how good they are

We have a mixed fleet of Volvo GXL 460’s and Scania Highline 440’s the Volvo’s return an average of 1 mpg better than the Scania across the fleet, however the Volvo’s have the added burden of Adblue and the cost of service parts is far higher, there are 3 oil filters on a Volvo!! The Volvo in my opinion is far nicer to drive and feels on top of the job, the Scania 440 is gutless.

skids:
We have just got a load of new R440’s. Don’t know if it makes any difference to you but the fuel economy is shocking compared to the R480’s we also have.

Not really surprising considering that the 480 only needs about 1,250 rpm to make that same 10 bhp per tonne at 44 t gross or even less rpm than that running at 40 t gross.

I have always been a scania fan but if i was to buy my own out of the two it would be the volvo simply because you soon get used to the raked windscreen and the volvo should be cheaper to buy.There wont be much in the way of comfort if they both have leather seats but if they dont i find the scania comfier.I cant be bothered with the daft bunk having to fold it out at the end of the day as i like the seat all the way back.The volvo has the extra power and it will without doubt give you a better fuel return.They both have a low engine hump and i am 5ft 8 and can stand up in both no problem.The scania curtains are better as you end up having to close the ones behind the seats aswell in the volvo.The scania has a steering midlift which the volvo doesnt but you soon over come that just by lifting it once you get into a yard.However if i was buying my own i would buy a renault simple for the fact they are cheaper to buy and operate.Now they have the volvo engine and box they are a far better motor.Renault uses its own software on the box and i think its better than volvos own.For me it doesnt jump to many gears at once like the volvo so pulls better but also coming down the box is better.The volvo lets you brake rite down then selects the gear it wants whereas the renault changes down a couple at a time.It also uses the volvo engine brake which is the best on the market.I just think why pay top money for a scania nowadays when its hardwork to earn it back when another truck 20k cheaper will do the same job.Its personal choice but when you operate one other factors come into it for me.Good luck!!

So what you chosen then?