Scania R420 front crank seal

As above the crank seal has started to leak. Has anyone changed one of these, or is special tools and a trip to Scania.

Normally if the crank seal is leaking,the breather filter on the back of the engine is blocked

Easy job but check crank journal,If its scored you will need a speedy sleeve and modified seal or it will leak again.

It may not be the crankseal that is leaking, the gasket on the front cover where the seal sits splits, to do the job the sump has to come off aswell as rad and intercooler, but to do the job right anyway the rad and intercooler needs to come out if only doing the seal! Sometime there is a hairline crack in front cover so a good was and inspect before putting all back together.

1986:
It may not be the crankseal that is leaking, the gasket on the front cover where the seal sits splits, to do the job the sump has to come off aswell as rad and intercooler, but to do the job right anyway the rad and intercooler needs to come out if only doing the seal! Sometime there is a hairline crack in front cover so a good was and inspect before putting all back together.

more ■■■■■■■■.Where do these ■■■■■■■■ come from ?
A lot of people ask were my “bad” attitude comes from

It comes from “experts” that feed people crap.
My Knowledge dont cost 100 quid an hour it costs nothing.
I think that we are all being ripped off and if I can stop somebody being robbed then it sounds good to me

1986:

Another load of ■■■■■■■■.
Not a scania “technician” are we?

Another rip off merchant that is so far up its own ■■■ it dont know it Tuesday.

Had a few pints last night bking?? I’m not a rip off merchant, I have seen it happen LOTS of times!

1986:
Had a few pints last night bking?? I’m not a rip off merchant, I have seen it happen LOTS of times!

1986 ,don’t worry,he is harmless.I get the abuse al the time …I know nthing about Scania ,and a such I wouldn’t offer advice,Probably like yourself I only advise on what I know

I don’t know where the rip off merchant part comes from ,no one gets paid for advice on here ,or asks for payment…With advise I have done pretty well on here ,hard to be 100% right all the time without seeing a vehicle or knowing the fault codes

To get an idea of him just have a look at the recent turbo post viewtopic.php?f=4&t=121512

They will keep you amused

Bless him! Haha. Sounds like he doesn’t know his ear hole from his [zb] hole! Won’t loose too much sleep then. Wouldn’t mind but my foreigner rates on my days off are very competitive. :laughing:

1986:
Bless him! Haha. Sounds like he doesn’t know his ear hole from his [zb] hole! Won’t loose too much sleep then. Wouldn’t mind but my foreigner rates on my days off are very competitive. :laughing:

Yes a hammer and chisel dont cost much from B+Q

And still nobody spots the deliberate mistake?

Come on scania man,at least a bit of knowledge should rip me to shreds!!!

Are you some type of imbaseal bking?? Where have you got Scania man from?? How would you be replacing a front crankseal on an r420? Please share your knowledge! I presume your a failed fitter! :laughing:

1986:
Are you some type of imbaseal bking?? Where have you got Scania man from?? How would you be replacing a front crankseal on an r420? Please share your knowledge! I presume your a failed fitter! :laughing:

No Im a failed mechanic.Puts me about 15 floors above such amatuers as yourself.
What you got at both ends of a crankshaft my little expert?

I’ve probably forgot more than you know son.

1986:
I’ve probably forgot more than you know son.

No doubt!I stand in reverence at your knowledge

(still no answer though!)

Bking:

1986:
Are you some type of imbaseal bking?? Where have you got Scania man from?? How would you be replacing a front crankseal on an r420? Please share your knowledge! I presume your a failed fitter! [emoji38]

No Im a failed mechanic.Puts me about 15 floors above such amatuers as yourself.
What you got at both ends of a crankshaft my little expert?

There’s a harmonic balancer at one end and a flywheel at the other.

The timing gear is at the back on the 420 Scania engine.

So what does the seal run on?

A bearing

Bking couldn’t fit his arse to a toilet seat, so I don’t think he’ll be upto replacing a front crank seal on a R420! Piece of p*5s for me mind.

I thought they ran on the land of the flywheel or the crank pulley.
Silly me.

Or dont Scanias have flywheels and crank pulleys?
Or are they like Gardners with no crank seal at all.