Scania eco roll built to wind others up?

Every shift this happens.

Your driving along the motorway, cruise control on.

Your doing 55mph. Truck behind you is doing 55mph also. Before the downward gradient eco roll reduces your speed down to maybe 51 ish. Driver behind moves out to overtake. As you both go down the hill you speed back up to 55.

Other driver hasn’t slowed down so your now both doing 55 leaving other driver out in the lane.

Love it. Winds drivers up so much. :grimacing:

I’ll override it and anticipate when it is due to kick in.
It’s a PITA.
Half the time it starts slowing down far too soon.
Not sure about enjoying winding other drivers up - if they’re alongside for long I’ll be the better man and let them pass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is annoying, for both sides. I’m the same if I can see someone close behind then I’ll try and anticipate that and switch cruise control off just as a feel it start to slow. If I fail to do that then I let whoever is out there past me.

It’s a clever system in theory but unless every truck in the road is using it and slowing at the same time it’s crap and isn’t suited to a busy public road and sometimes dangerous. Your following a truck and all of sudden it starts slowing but showing no break lights. Whoever designed that?

It was the only criticism I had of the next gen I had on demo a couple of years ago. Ridiculous system in practice. Even worse if it’s got the gps gearbox software. It does it up hill as well as down :unamused:

Yeah happens to me too. Like others I roughly know when it will happen so counter it manually. If I’m too late I’ll let the other guy go too.

Only one thing in control of the vehicle and it’s progress, and that is the bod sat behind the wheel.

It’s obvious the systems are there to make the most use of terrain (presumably the designers believe the average driver can’t make sensible use of terrain themselves, maybe they’re right), but when suitable and when traffic conditions allow, it’s not sensible to allow these one size fits all systems to do their own thing without any regard for other road users and most proper lorry drivers, as stated in posts above, will override the things so they don’t cause idiot elephant races which only go to make the rest of us cringe as guilty by association.

Depending on vehicle make model and spec these systems can often still be switched off by the driver.

I had our v8 last week for and ■■■■ me I hated that eco roll ■■■■.

hiabman:

… is the correct answer. It costs nothing to be courteous.

When I drove an Actrocious with this fitted I soon learned where it would kick in, a quick check of my mirrors and if nothing was following I’d allow it to do it’s own thing, but if someone was following I’d intervene with a gentle touch of the throttle.

the maoster:

hiabman:

… is the correct answer. It costs nothing to be courteous.

but if someone was following I’d intervene with a gentle touch of the throttle.

The think is with v8 a gentle touch of the throttle costs a fortune :unamused: :unamused:

No it’s not there to wind people up, you know it’s there and when it’s going to kick in, stick your right foot down and override it.

The guy behind has a similar system if he doesn’t realise you also have it and goes for an overtake he can’t make it’s as much on him.

Far more annoying are the drivers on 50 on the cruise that speed up when you try to pass (hgv drivers) and the ■■■■■■■ car drivers at 46 that notice you overtaking and then fluctuate between 45 and 60 for the next 10 miles.

We have three of the next gens and one driver lets the eco roll do its thing and two of us overide when we think its best too.
The fuel figures every month when compared between the three vehicles, show there is very little difference between all three.

there was an article in a lorry mag in the late 60’s / early 70’s by a lorry technician (Mercedes i think) on how to get good fuel mileage. No cruise control so he said maintain a steady speed but let it roll down hills, that’s free power.

I guess it’s not free if you get done for speeding :cry:

remy:
there was an article in a lorry mag in the late 60’s / early 70’s by a lorry technician (Mercedes i think) on how to get good fuel mileage. No cruise control so he said maintain a steady speed but let it roll down hills, that’s free power.

if he did that in the 60s/early 70s , how did clever clogs propose to stop at the bottom of the hill with hydrovac or even those newfangled air brakes ? .

My Merc does this.
But I set the cruise on 53…so when it sorts itself out,they can get past

rigsby:

remy:

if he did that in the 60s/early 70s , how did clever clogs propose to stop at the bottom of the hill with hydrovac or even those newfangled air brakes ? .

Yes, wouldn’t be a good idea to let er’ go when you need to stop but i think he meant when on the open road, use the downside to your advantage which is something a driver does anyway. I think a driver who wants to get good fuel mileage can beat a computerized truck because he can see the road and anticipate whereas a computer reacts to a change in conditions. But having said that today’s engines are so controlled by computers the driver doesn’t have a lot of influence now.

Speaking of hydrovac reminded me when i left school i worked in a tipper garage and the night fitter worked on an S type Bedford with vacuum assisted brakes only he forgot to attach the rod from the servo to the hydraulic bit. The driver left in the morning but soon came back as white as a ghost demanding to know where the fitter lived.

Juddian:
Only one thing in control of the vehicle and it’s progress, and that is the bod sat behind the wheel.

Yes

the maoster:
hiabman wrote:
I’ll override it and anticipate when it is due to kick in… is the correct answer. It costs nothing to be courteous.

Yes
Cruise controls and other devices are only bits of the truck that the driver is, or should be, in control of.

DickyNick:
you speed back up to 55

So, you speed-up whilst being overtaken?
Highway Code:
Rule 168.
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass

I have been driving Scania’s for so long now my foot instinctively presses down the accelerator when I feel eco-roll kicking in to override the stupid thing. Barely makes a blind bit of difference to fuel figures.

Nice idea perhaps to save fuel on quiet roads with no one behind you, but not fit for purpose on busy UK motorways to be dropping 4/5mph at you crest a hill just to speed up again. It just results in unnecessary overtaking.

I believe you can turn it off by putting the gearbox into ‘P’ mode, but thats disabled on our motors :cry:

Franglais:

Juddian:

Yes

the maoster:
hiabman wrote:
I’ll override it and anticipate when it is due to kick in… is the correct answer. It costs nothing to be courteous.

Yes
Cruise controls and other devices are only bits of the truck that the driver is, or should be, in control of.

DickyNick:
you speed back up to 55

So, you speed-up whilst being overtaken?
Highway Code:
Rule 168.
Being overtaken. If a driver is trying to overtake you, maintain a steady course and speed, slowing down if necessary to let the vehicle pass

That bit of the Highway Code refers to being overtaken on a single carriageway. There’s no safety issue with regards to that on a motorway. No all I’m doing is speeding back up to the speed I was already doing, not speeding up faster than that. Look at the section of the Highway Code specifically about motorway driving, it doesn’t mention that, all it says is if your the one overtaking then don’t cut in front too soon.

Made it easy for you. All the Highway Code isn’t one size fits all. The rule that you quoted refers to overtaking on a single carriage way into oncoming (potentially) traffic.

Here I quote everything the Highway Code says about overtaking on a MOTORWAY. Rule 268 even says I may speed up to keep up with traffic in my lane.

Rule 267
Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

check your mirrors
take time to judge the speeds correctly
make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance.
Rule 268
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

So there you go shove that up your arse clever ■■■■.

Go and read rules 162 through to 169 before leaving your smart comments. As they mention overtaking cyclists and horses etc they clearly aren’t talking about overtaking on motorways. Also in the motorway section it says other rules do refer to motorway driving and it gives a list of these, 168 isn’t in that list. Don’t believe me go and look.

Typical car driver attitude of thinking one thing applies to all situations. Are you sure your a professional driver?