scania 143

hi there new to all this can anyone help can the scania 143 500 be plated at 44 tonne been looking at buying a 143 450 but was told it can only be plated up to 41 tonne as it has a mechanical pump is this true? is there anyone running at 44 tonne with a 143 450.

AFAIK it is not the pump that designates the tonneage, it is the suspension.

i used to own a couple of DAF 95XF’s with mechanical pumps and they were both plated at 44 tonne.

if a truck has steel suspension, it can only plate at 41 tonne

is it 4x2 or 6x2

i was told that if it has a mechanical fuel pump (450 hp)it cannot comply with euro2 emissions even though it is a 6 x 2 on air it cannot go up to 44t where as the 143 470/500hp engines have e.d.c and are euro 2 . i will not be going into london so that low emission zone will not effect me but i do need to be grossing at 44t.

i’ve not heard this one but if its true then surely a lot of old lorries are on the road illegally.
there are a lot of old 6x2 running around at maximum weight, i’ll try and get hold of my mate and find out for you.

i’ve just spoke to my oracle and he says you’ve been told a load of bollox.
he has an old P reg on 44t and the only thing he can’t do is go into london with it.
a 6x2 on air is ok, if its on springs its 41t unless on STGO.

biggusdickusgb:
he has an old P reg on 44t and the only thing he can’t do is go into london with it.

That is right but it also must be euro 2 or above. which at P reg it should be a euro 2

thanks for that i have seen and looked at a few of these for sale now all 6 x 2 on air and all of them have been plated at 41t i haven`t seen any on a p plate for sale yet so i think its a case of keep looking are the 470/500hp ones rare now or something as i have only seen one for sale in months and he wanted silly money for it .

biggusdickusgb:

yes the 96 p reg have the edc so the 143/500 were plated at 44 ton were as anything earlier is 41 ton. :stuck_out_tongue:

does anyone on here own one or had one the owner drivers i no have only had the smaller 113s and have told me that they are a pretty good motors

i drove a 143 450 on uk/spain work
it went like a steam train and if truth be told it was probably the best wagon i ever drove (and i was always a volvo man)
we used to call it the beast, and the name suited it, from the way it looked down to the growl that came out of the stack…

lee mat:
does anyone on here own one or had one the owner drivers i no have only had the smaller 113s and have told me that they are a pretty good motors

Why don’t you buy this month’s “Trucking” magazine, there is an article about a Scottish operator who runs several 143 450s

i took one out i was interested in the other week for a test drive and it sounded and pulled like an out n out animal twin stacks the lot on it wanted to buy it but only a 41t gutted going to have to find one of these 500hp ones and i have only seen 1 for sale in months and if i remember right he was asking about 16k for it and thats just to much for such an old truck

thanks for that i will go and buy that mag

we had a 143 450 that was m plate its on air and was plated at 44t it was mechanical pump too. infact its still running. the 41t 44t thing comes from the suspenssion 41t = springs 44t if Air

i give up ! i have seen about a dozen 450s for sale most are on a m plate all at 41t .ringing the sellers about plating them upto 44t you get erm erm no yes i ring scania they say erm erm no yes no i ring vosa they say no its mad

what configureation are the ones your looking a are they on air and are they 6x2

they have all been 6 x 2 on air

lee mat:
they have all been 6 x 2 on air

then there shouldn’t be a problem, i get the monthly updates from vosa and i dont remember anything about diqualifying older vehicles from 44 ton
the pump is imho irrelevent,
theres wagons about with mechanical pumps right up to V reg, like i said before thats a lot of 6x2 on the road pulling full weight that shouldn’t be.
does anybody know which legislation this comes under?
peterborough test centre is only a couple of streets away from me, i’ll go round and ask them later.

The reason none of the 3 series won’t plate to 44 ton is none were certified to Euro 2 by scania. Volvo I think did a software upgrade for the early D12 engine to euro 2. I don’t know if Scania offer a similar upgrade but it would have to be by them.