SCANIA 142's

youtu.be/Wuqd3vuZJzw pick up with a 142 engine.

Brussels Motorshow '81.

Eric,

I think this was the first Scania that we bought on Caravan in Dammam, moving from ERFs. As I remember, this had been imported by the new Scania dealer as a six wheeler wagon and drag, but they couldn’t sell it. We agreed to buy it if they cut it down to a tractor unit and we got a fantastic deal on it.

In the background, half hidden by the Scania, can be seen a trailer with Arabian Fibreglass in it. We cut the roofs off steel containers and AF loaded them about 2 or 3 feet higher, then we sheeted them. We ran several loads a day to Riyadh and about one a day to Jeddah IIRC, loading canned goods back (I think for GCC, but I’m vague on that now).

In the warehouse behind, we had an upturned barrel from a cement mixer on a plinth. This had a diesel engine driven impeller in it. (John Longhorn built this). We mixed powder to make millions of gallons liquid admix on behalf of Manchester company FEB, which we loaded into the 2 tank trailers shown. this was delivered at the rate of about 2 or more trailers per week I think, to near Khamis Mushayt, about 1,400 miles away, down by the Yemen border, where the RSAF were building concrete bunkers for their planes.

All this was early and middle '80s.

John.

John West:
I think this was the first Scania that we bought on Caravan in Dammam, moving from ERFs. As I remember, this had been imported by the new Scania dealer as a six wheeler wagon and drag, but they couldn’t sell it. We agreed to buy it if they cut it down to a tractor unit and we got a fantastic deal on it.

In the background, half hidden by the Scania, can be seen a trailer with Arabian Fibreglass in it. We cut the roofs off steel containers and AF loaded them about 2 or 3 feet higher, then we sheeted them. We ran several loads a day to Riyadh and about one a day to Jeddah IIRC, loading canned goods back (I think for GCC, but I’m vague on that now).

In the warehouse behind, we had an upturned barrel from a cement mixer on a plinth. This had a diesel engine driven impeller in it. (John Longhorn built this). We mixed powder to make millions of gallons liquid admix on behalf of Manchester company FEB, which we loaded into the 2 tank trailers shown. this was delivered at the rate of about 2 or more trailers per week I think, to near Khamis Mushayt, about 1,400 miles away, down by the Yemen border, where the RSAF were building concrete bunkers for their planes.

John.

Much as I loved 142s, I’ll take that B-series ERF with its back to us in the picture :laughing: Robert

tiptop495:
Hey, haulier disapeared already, one of the oldest of Belgium.

Eric,

I agree, one of the oldest, known for their fleet with Gheysen & Verpoort goose-
necktrailers with elevator-platorm to put looms on the deck. They were located
in Lauwe and Picanol of Ypres were their biggest client.

Nowadays I don’t think there are family-owned old transporters from before WW2.

Luc

John West:

In the warehouse behind, we had an upturned barrel from a truck cement mixer on a plinth. This had a diesel engine driven impeller in it. (John Longhorn built this). We mixed powder to make millions of gallons liquid admix on behalf of Manchester company FEB, which we loaded into the 2 tank trailers shown. this was delivered at the rate of about 2 or more trailers per week I think, to near Khamis Mushayt, about 1,400 miles away, down by the Yemen border, where the RSAF were building concrete bunkers for their planes.

John.

robert1952:

John West:

John.

Much as I loved 142s, I’ll take that B-series ERF with its back to us in the picture :laughing: Robert

Robert…you need help! :laughing:

carryfast-yeti:

robert1952:

John West:

John.

Robert…you need help! :laughing:

Be patient with me! I’ve just been diagnosed ERF-positive :laughing: :laughing: Robert

14 TOO:
It wasn’t all fun and games.
Some of us were mentioned in despatches…by Sally traffic.

One of the worst points for the 6x2 tag axle was the atrocious ride.
The two rear axles being linked gave a ride that you never forgot.
The “Abortion Way” east of Antwerp was only used once,NEVER a second time.

. That was Steve Trice 142.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like a Transnoli kangaroo trailer, out of Milan!

One of the best gaffs I ever heard from another driver was when I was waiting to reload near Rimini…
He spun me this long in depth tale…which to give him his dew he had put a lot of effort into … that Lib who was at that time the TM for Zust Ambrozetti used to be one of the head guys at Transnoli… why was this… because his name was Lib Noli… and the mafia was after him so he did a runner to Thrapston… obviously to hide in the ware house…

I’d have thought he would have been better hiding at Franz Mass at Cannock cause they took all day to find half a pallet that was sitting just out side the office door… I can’t remember what Libs last name was but I know it wasn’t Noli… Lib could often be found sitting in the down stairs coffee lounge at Toddington or in his car at Husks near the diesel pump on a Sunday afternoon handing out money and documents to outward bound drivers…

Jeff…

OssieD:
Tony Weatherstone’s motor back in the late 80’s on the Swiss Backgraben border, he had a regular contract for Roche two way work, packed in transport and bought a greengrocers in Cuffly.

same scania in 2000

20170420_205814.jpg

Wondering if anyone can help me find out who owned a scania 142 TXI 8810 registered in Chelmsford
It is now E896 EPU

Sittensen D recently

Russia

robthedog:
Russia

Ex Midtstøls Transport but did scania do a 142 topliner :question:

grahamA:

robthedog:
Russia

Ex Midtstøls Transport but did scania do a 142 topliner :question:

No. I reckon that one is a 113, with a badge upgrade!

Anyone remember the 142 mentioned in this article:
download/file.php?id=151541&mode=view