SCAM Emails!!

Keep receiving these recently,

(This e-mail has been sent to c10hoo@hotmail.co.uk by Halifax UK )

Dear c10hoo@hotmail.co.uk,

This e-mail has been sent to you by Halifax UK to inform you that your account will be deactivated within the next 24 hours due to several unsuccessful login attemps on it.

To prevent this to happen please login securely to our activation link below:

halifax-online.co.uk/custom … mail.co.uk

If you have already confirmed your information then please disregard this message.

Regards,
Halifax UK member services.

Dear c10hoo@hotmail.co.uk

We recently noticed that a transaction may have been made without your
knowledge or consent. We are currently investigating the following transaction:

Details of Transaction

Company Name: Skype Inc.
Transaction ID: 7YW39066PT6017814

Transaction date: Nov 24, 2011
Transaction amount: 20.70 GBP

To see the details of this case, log in to your Lloyds account by following the link below and go to
your account history.

lloydstsb.com/uk-dispute/acc … 6PT6017814

Sincerely,
LloydsTSB Account Review Department.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your Lloyds account
and click the Help link in the top right corner of any Lloyds page.

The link takes you to a site to login that looks genuine, clearly not though. its safe to have a look and leave some abuse as I do.

Recently Ive had HSBC, Halifax, HBOS, RBS, Lloyds and Northern Rock

terrible!

if you think its dodgy then do not click on the link.
if its genuine they will call you like, dear mr fred bloggs. …doh

greggy:
if you think its dodgy then do not click on the link.
if its genuine they will call you like, dear mr fred bloggs. …doh

The sites are fine virus free, but they’re trying to trick you in to giving them all your details. Barstewards like!

I keep getting an email from Paypal (alledgedly :question: ) saying i have made a payment to Skype … and to click on a link if i want to dispute it … they say “they” think it is fraudulent :question: … i’ve never clicked to follow it up :unamused: .
Also keep getting emails to say i have been caught on a speed camera in New York … and now Detroit :laughing: and to click to download the penalty notice.

Amongst many similar ones I get,a different one yesterday perporting to be
from American Airlines,telling me there’s a problem with a $20 payment for a flight where
only the destination is mentioned.[and that was fictional!]

If I was going to try this,at least i’d get some details correct!

If it looks fishy…it probably IS!

Are you seriously suggesting that peeps have a look, bearing in mind most peeps will be using the same pc that they use for their online banking, how many people clear their cache properly after logging into their bank, not many, and with the right bit of programming at least some of that info is already halfway across the world. Phishing/social engineering techniques are getting cleverer and harder to spot but with a few basics peeps should be able to keep their login details safe.

Fortunately on the face of it the links you provide appear to send you to the genuine Halifax and Lloyds sites, but their are techniques which may be within the email to at least confirm that your email addy is live.

I advise anyone who receives an email from their bank or anything that looks dodgy, not to click on any links and most definitely not sign in via any link, if you’ve got outlook don’t ‘download’ the pictures (doing this will confirm your email is live) I would possibly forward it on to the bank. If your bank wish to contact you they’ll ring, write or even email (usually marketing) but would not ask for log in details nor put sign in links in an email. The safest way to log into your bank is through your browser directly checking that the url begins with HTTPS, the S being the important bit. If you think that you may have inadvertantly given your details away by using a phishing email, contact your bank by phone and get your login details changed. NEVER EVER use the same password for your bank as for other sites (like this one) as other sites do get attacked.

You should at the very least have an antivirus program installed (Panda Cloud is free and user friendly) and for the other nasties anti-malware software like Malwarebytes is recommended. Oh and stop using IE get Chrome or Firefox.

Dismounts high horse.

EDIT: Phishing doesn’t just come in the form of emails, beware of banks, utilities, credit card & especially mobile phone companies ringing you, you give them the answers to their security questions, how do you check they are who they say they are?

There are lots of these spoof/phishing emails and many people are getting caught, one very simple way to spot a spoof is to hover your mouse over the link and look at the bottom left of your screen to see where the link really goes, a phishing email will show some erroneous address that’s nothing to do with the site you think it’s from. It is unwise to click these spoof links as it just tells the scammer that you are there and they send you more! Also many of these sites will dump unwanted tracking cookies, trojans and somtimes a virus hidden within a graphic file on to your PC that can do damage later.

Each of my online banking and credit card accounts has a unique email address that is not used elsewhere, if I receive an email from what appears to be one of my credit card providers or bank and it is not from the unique email address for that account I know it must be a spoof and just delete it. Most ISP’s have a way to create multiple email addresses so that anyone can do this…

i just fill in the login details with four letter words then block as phishing scam :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

if you even open the emails, it proves one thing…

you have just failed the stupidity test and are too stupid to have a bank account :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the banks tell you all the time they they DO NOT SEND OUT EMAILS ASKING YOU TO ENTER YOUR DETAILS!!!

Yeah I get those emails. I got one 2 days ago from SATANDER, spot the mistake!

Thick ■■■■■ can’t even spell the banks name right.

i get them from Halifax, Santander, TSB, Barclays, all of which i do not have accounts at, so, they go straight in the deleted folder

I had one of those last year I clicked on it and immediately saw that it was not genuine. Unfortunately it put a virus in my computer and every time I tried to go back to my banking login page it directed me back to this scam site. No matter whether I tried to do it via a google search page or via the bookmarked page still the same issue. Eventually the only thing that worked was to format the hard drive which was a pain in the backside. Be very careful if you get any e-mail messages from your bank. Just delete the message and inform your bank.

Sub_tone:
I had one of those last year I clicked on it and immediately saw that it was not genuine. Unfortunately it put a virus in my computer and every time I tried to go back to my banking login page it directed me back to this scam site. No matter whether I tried to do it via a google search page or via the bookmarked page still the same issue. Eventually the only thing that worked was to format the hard drive which was a pain in the backside. Be very careful if you get any e-mail messages from your bank. Just delete the message and inform your bank.

please read the following…

shuttlespanker:
if you even open the emails, it proves one thing…

you have just failed the stupidity test and are too stupid to have a bank account :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

the banks tell you all the time they they DO NOT SEND OUT EMAILS ASKING YOU TO ENTER YOUR DETAILS!!!

hope this helps :wink:

I made the disastrous mistake of clicking on the Amazon gift voucher thing on Facebook last weekend, I sussed out the scam real quick and didn’t open the attatchment they sent but I get about 30 damm emails a dy since from every company you can imagine.
I also got a text on my phone via facebook and read it, it said to stop the messages I must reply to a number given by text, I checked with Verizon before doing so and they told me the number went around the world and would have been charged about $200.00 they told me to just erase it and erase all others without even reading them.
I have had problems with messages like this before and if you just delete them without responding or even opening them they eventually give up.

https can be set up by a sophisticated fraudster. It isn’t much harder to set up than getting your own 0906 number set up, and then trying to trick people into calling it. Just 'cos there’s a little padlock thingy, don’t place 100% faith in it. It means it aint “Mohammed in Nigeria” running the show, but it might be “Pennington-Smythe-Biscuit-Barrel” who’s trying a new business startup having just got out from his 7 stretch in the 'scrubs for theft & forgery! :laughing: :laughing:

When someone scams me with one of the examples shown, I’ve strangely never had a scam in the name of the bank I actually have an account with! Easy to spot in that case… :neutral_face:

Then there’s “Active Threat Delivery”. Also known as “Driveby Downloads”. You goto a site, and some code gets downloaded into your cache which then does things like bounce you to their website, download further code, or even log your keystrokes to try and hack your passwords. Best thing to do here is regular flushing with virus scan, get rid of malware, and flush the cache. Don’t use “autocomplete” to remember all your passwords. Having them written down in a non-descript book in your house is a lot safer than having them stored on your 'pooty whatever anyone says! :sunglasses:

A serious infection might “driveby download” you with one of those malicious bits of code that pretends to be your own virus scanner! It’ll tell you you’ve got a zillion infections, and you can’t stop it. Whilst the “scan” continues, it is of course downloading more malicious code (if you have not dropped the line already!) and spreading it around the machine.
If so infected:-
(1) Drop the line (switch your modem off!)
(2) Hard reset (Power off, DON’T reboot using the “start” icon)
(3) Power up, and go into safe mode
(4) Go into regedit and delete the keys that point to whatever the malicious software is calling itself Eg. “ShieldDefender” or “AVG 2012”.

Don’t delete the keys that point to your genuine article virus scanner of course, but if you use virus blocking software that doesn’t fit what is now flashing in front of you, it’s an easy thing to delete all keys relating to the “intruder” version.
Last time I got one of these, it was pretending to be Norton’s antivirus (which I have never had installed on my machine) so it was childs play to bung all the registry keys on finding them. Once deleted, the malware doesn’t re-infect on re-boot. Obviously, you don’t go back to the offending website either, as you’ll get re-infected from source again!
:open_mouth:

Simple, if you bank with the Nigerian National Bank, why would you be even interested clicking on a link from Barclay’s, Lloyd’s, Nat West or HSBC?

Too thick to have a computer

bloody hell!
i opened this thread expecting to see pictures of highwaymans, crusaders and contractors

thought the title said scammells… :laughing:

Anyone getting caught is a fool anyway I’m just waiting for this Nigerian prince to get in touch I sent him my bank details do he can drop 4 mil in my account for safe keeping :smiley:

I would never go to a bank site from a link in an email, fortunately I use gmail which has good spam filters and very few of these scam emails get through :slight_smile:

I have to say though C10HOO, you’re not helping yourself by putting your email address on web pages like this.

The spam bots must love it here knowing how easy you’ll make it for them :stuck_out_tongue:

MADBAZ:
Are you seriously suggesting that peeps have a look, bearing in mind most peeps will be using the same pc that they use for their online banking, how many people clear their cache properly after logging into their bank, not many, and with the right bit of programming at least some of that info is already halfway across the world. Phishing/social engineering techniques are getting cleverer and harder to spot but with a few basics peeps should be able to keep their login details safe.

Fortunately on the face of it the links you provide appear to send you to the genuine Halifax and Lloyds sites, but their are techniques which may be within the email to at least confirm that your email addy is live.

I advise anyone who receives an email from their bank or anything that looks dodgy, not to click on any links and most definitely not sign in via any link, if you’ve got outlook don’t ‘download’ the pictures (doing this will confirm your email is live) I would possibly forward it on to the bank. If your bank wish to contact you they’ll ring, write or even email (usually marketing) but would not ask for log in details nor put sign in links in an email. The safest way to log into your bank is through your browser directly checking that the url begins with HTTPS, the S being the important bit. If you think that you may have inadvertantly given your details away by using a phishing email, contact your bank by phone and get your login details changed. NEVER EVER use the same password for your bank as for other sites (like this one) as other sites do get attacked.

You should at the very least have an antivirus program installed (Panda Cloud is free and user friendly) and for the other nasties anti-malware software like Malwarebytes is recommended. Oh and stop using IE get Chrome or Firefox.

Dismounts high horse.

EDIT: Phishing doesn’t just come in the form of emails, beware of banks, utilities, credit card & especially mobile phone companies ringing you, you give them the answers to their security questions, how do you check they are who they say they are?

The links send you to site that look the real deal but they’re fake too, I use McAfee and it point blank refuses me access to dodgy sites, (75% of sites are blocked) I can open any site in a window within McAfee and did so with these sites, they look real but none of the links on them work.