Saving Christmas

Following a joke on “The Now Show”, I did a little look, and from last week,
thedrinksbusiness.com/2021/ … -shortage/
mirror.co.uk/money/wine-tra … 400459.amp
We have to thank the Drivers (of trains) for getting booze into the shops this Christmas.

I haven`t tacked this onto any other threads because there id something here for loads of us to upset about!
The Mods, as ever, are best placed to move as they see fit.

Back of a ■■■ packet calculation, the 4.5m bottles in the article?

120 cases of 6 on a VMF plt? I`m assuming supermarket weight 75cl bottles of still wine.
4,500,000 divided by 720 = 6,250 plts.
Or approx 250 trailer loads.

No shortage of train drivers then…wonder why that is :wink:

As opposed to the truth the shelves are empty because the decent trunking work has been put on rail with more to go’
So drivers have walked away and trains don’t run into supermarket RDC’s and to supermarket loading docks.

The trains are going to deliver the Christmas booze to the supermarkets?

Ahh, so that’s why they have been digging up the roads next to our local Tosco…

Franglais:
We have to thank the Drivers (of trains) for getting booze into the shops this Christmas.

I haven`t tacked this onto any other threads because there id something here for loads of us to upset about!

Often wondered what those tracks to the back door of my local Tesco were for now I know thanks, or are the last miles being covered by horse and cart makes perfect sense to do long distance bulk moves by trains but still needs a lorry to do the door step delivery so if the driver shortage is as bad as certain sections would have us believe all you have done is move the booze from point A to point B by train where it will now sit because there are no drivers to move it to it’s point of sale

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Often wondered what those tracks to the back door of my local Tesco were for now I know thanks, or are the last miles being covered by horse and cart makes perfect sense to do long distance bulk moves by trains but still needs a lorry to do the door step delivery so if the driver shortage is as bad as certain sections would have us believe all you have done is move the booze from point A to point B by train where it will now sit because there are no drivers to move it to it’s point of sale

the nodding donkey:
The trains are going to deliver the Christmas booze to the supermarkets?

Ahh, so that’s why they have been digging up the roads next to our local Tosco…

With a limited number of drivers, they will be doing the stuff that trains can`t do.
That is of course, the RDC to shop, work. The distance stuff is being put on the trains more.
Less need for UK trucks to do distance work into EU or port to RDC with Ro/Ro droppers.

Do you two think that because there is a need for trucks for the last few miles, there is no loss to transport by replacing hundreds of trailer moves for this one product alone?
Dont you think this will become a pattern for other products? As the service increases wont it become more frequent, and better for other users?

Yes, it makes perfect sense for Tesco etc to use trains for such work. Saying that trucks are still needed for local work doesn`t affect at all the loss of distance work.

Carryfast:
trains don’t run into supermarket RDC’s

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daventry_ … t_Terminal
supplychaindigital.com/logistic … -emissions

Franglais do you even read the links you put up or people’s responses? The opening line “Extra trains are being laid on to bring in Christmas booze from the continent” is misleading for a start. The article states that the first wine train is leaving that far flung European outpost of TILBURY so more than likely the wine has arrived in Tilbury in a container as per normal and is being put on the rail network , hardly ground breaking technology. So on looking at it the wine will arrive in the normal manner form Europe by ship then instead of going by road to Dirft it is going by rail, hasn’t this been happening since Dirft was set up and wasn’t this the point of Dirft? Then no mention of the final miles still having to be covered by road so again misleading as the train drivers are not delivering the wine to the point of sale. In my earlier response I clearly said that trunking by rail for bulk products is a good thing and if the capacity was there then it should have been happening regardless of whether there is a driver shortage or not for both congestion and environmental reasons.

Mazzer2:
makes perfect sense to do long distance bulk moves by trains

It’s that logic which shows why the road transport industry and those working in it are acting like turkeys voting for Christmas.
What’s in this brave new local delivery service, for the driver when there is no longer any better quality distance sector work to aspire to and move on to.
There are far better quality non HGV driving jobs even now in that regard let alone when this retrograde plan really kicks in sending the industry back to the 1920’s.
Unfortunately too many people know it.
Distance same day van courier and car trade plating work is now top of too many drivers’ list and even fast food delivery jobs are in more demand, than driving a truck for Tesco or Travis Perkins etc.

Mazzer2:
Franglais do you even read the links you put up or people’s responses? The opening line “Extra trains are being laid on to bring in Christmas booze from the continent” is misleading for a start. The article states that the first wine train is leaving that far flung European outpost of TILBURY so more than likely the wine has arrived in Tilbury in a container as per normal and is being put on the rail network , hardly ground breaking technology. So on looking at it the wine will arrive in the normal manner form Europe by ship then instead of going by road to Dirft it is going by rail, hasn’t this been happening since Dirft was set up and wasn’t this the point of Dirft? Then no mention of the final miles still having to be covered by road so again misleading as the train drivers are not delivering the wine to the point of sale. In my earlier response I clearly said that trunking by rail for bulk products is a good thing and if the capacity was there then it should have been happening regardless of whether there is a driver shortage or not for both congestion and environmental reasons.

Franglais:
Yes, it makes perfect sense for Tesco etc to use trains for such work. Saying that trucks are still needed for local work doesn`t affect at all the loss of distance work.

Yes, the train is taking boxes from Tilbury. Work that some trucks would have done before.
The article clearly states
“…as Network Rail ensures extra capacity for the service.
The first freight train was due to make its journey out of Tilbury on the Thames yesterday, bound for Northamptonshire.”
So, I don`t see that as commenting on a continuation of a regular service.

Failing to comment on the final miles to retail point is hardly a great omission IMHO. It is surely clear that there is no difference there, so need to comment on it.

Never experienced shortages , while back small country garage had run out of diesel…south of Duxford …That is it …been blown out of proportion …anything to stir up trouble to blame brexit

Franglais:
Failing to comment on the final miles to retail point is hardly a great omission IMHO. It is surely clear that there is no difference there, so need to comment on it.

How does the ‘final miles’ happen if people don’t want a career stuck on that type of work with nothing better to aspire to.There’s better quality non HGV driving jobs out there and how does the train deliver without that ‘final miles’ distribution getting done.
That might have worked in the labour market of the 1920’s but not the 2020’s.
Maybe ASLEF will have to agree to train drivers being rotated between all the different aspects of the supply chain from final miles ‘road transport’ to warehousing duties on a monthly or weekly rota.

I used to like listening to the now show, but for the past few years now - it seems to have become nothing more than an endless tirade of leftie slogans against all their dartboard fodder pet hates… Trump, Brexit, Tories, Right Wingers, blah blah blah…

Winseer:
I used to like listening to the now show, but for the past few years now - it seems to have become nothing more than an endless tirade of leftie slogans against all their dartboard fodder pet hates… Trump, Brexit, Tories, Right Wingers, blah blah blah…

+1

I haven’t listened to Radio 4 for years now.

I can’t see how the railways can take more freight. Last I looked, we still had sod all rail infrastructure, and they can only go to where the rails take them.

This has surely got to be more PR hype than actual threat to long-distance driving?

Mazzer2:
Franglais do you even read the links you put up or people’s responses? The opening line “Extra trains are being laid on to bring in Christmas booze from the continent” is misleading for a start. The article states that the first wine train is leaving that far flung European outpost of TILBURY so more than likely the wine has arrived in Tilbury in a container as per normal and is being put on the rail network , hardly ground breaking technology. So on looking at it the wine will arrive in the normal manner form Europe

+1
That was my exact first thought when reading these articles. With the other dusty outpost mentioned being Felixstowe.

Carryfast:
It’s that logic which shows why the road transport industry and those working in it are acting like turkeys voting for Christmas.
What’s in this brave new local delivery service, for the driver when there is no longer any better quality distance sector work to aspire to and move on to.

This reminds of of the dinosaur thinking of the 1970’s. ‘Stop progress as my cushy job will go.’
If the only reason you want to keep freight on the roads, creating pollution & congestion whilst adding time to the e2e journey of the products, is to keep your ‘great job’. You don’t deserve a job in this brave new world. :open_mouth:

Long term extra capacity will be generated on the north/south rail routes by the construction of HS2, it’s the main reason it’s being built, not the 15 mins it saves the London long distance commuter.

Interesting, that the bod from Accolade mentions “outside transport problems”, which are considered to be a shortage of drivers. These problems are however not new, transport for Accolade has been run by Downturn (and previously in collaboration with Keedwell) for years, and has always suffered from the typical large logistics provider problem, too many mismanaged contracts, resulting in a shortage of trailers to service the contract (which is made worse by a lack of drivers,).

LazyDriver:

Mazzer2:
Franglais do you even read the links you put up or people’s responses? The opening line “Extra trains are being laid on to bring in Christmas booze from the continent” is misleading for a start. The article states that the first wine train is leaving that far flung European outpost of TILBURY so more than likely the wine has arrived in Tilbury in a container as per normal and is being put on the rail network , hardly ground breaking technology. So on looking at it the wine will arrive in the normal manner form Europe

+1
That was my exact first thought when reading these articles. With the other dusty outpost mentioned being Felixstowe.

Carryfast:

This reminds of of the dinosaur thinking of the 1970’s. ‘Stop progress as my cushy job will go.’
If the only reason you want to keep freight on the roads, creating pollution & congestion whilst adding time to the e2e journey of the products, is to keep your ‘great job’. You don’t deserve a job in this brave new world. :open_mouth:

Any truck driver calling for freight to be taken off trucks and put on trains reminds me of turkeys voting for christmas.
More likely to be a train driver pretending to be a truck driver who’s got the cushy job in that case.
As I said far better non HGV driving options out there than driving a truck working as the local delivery collection service for the rail freight industry and all the crap labouring work during the resulting downtime.
It’s not a brave new world it’s exactly the same world that most truck drivers would have known in the 1920’s.
As for pollution you mean the same trains which have decided to go back to their tax free diesel because electric is too expensive.Either way ripping off the NHS to add to Tesco’s etc profits.

Franglais this is a classic click bait headline of which you have swallowed hook,line and sinker,
HEADLINE WINE TRAINS TO BRING CHRISTMAS BOOZE FROM EUROPE
Reality 6 extra trains are to be laid on moving 4.5m bottles of wine 100 miles up the country, over a 6 week period not quite the same.

There are 27.8 million households in the UK so 4.5 million bottles of wine is pretty insignificant in terms of saving Christmas, according to the BBC this morning christmas has been saved as over half of the vacencies have been filled in the poultry industry oddly enough no mention of rail workers sticking their hands up the backsides of turkeys to save Christmas

Mazzer2:
Franglais this is a classic click bait headline of which you have swallowed hook,line and sinker,
HEADLINE WINE TRAINS TO BRING CHRISTMAS BOOZE FROM EUROPE
Reality 6 extra trains are to be laid on moving 4.5m bottles of wine 100 miles up the country, over a 6 week period not quite the same.

There are 27.8 million households in the UK so 4.5 million bottles of wine is pretty insignificant in terms of saving Christmas, according to the BBC this morning christmas has been saved as over half of the vacencies have been filled in the poultry industry oddly enough no mention of rail workers sticking their hands up the backsides of turkeys to save Christmas

Yes. 6 extra trains. Taking about 250 loads off the job list for trucks.
Maybe it is better for the environment, and better for the supermarkets, but 250 less truck loads is what it is.

Certainly not the extra drop trailer work some were predicting.
I can`t exactly remember who was looking forward to that?