Saving Christmas

Franglais:

Mazzer2:
Franglais this is a classic click bait headline of which you have swallowed hook,line and sinker,
HEADLINE WINE TRAINS TO BRING CHRISTMAS BOOZE FROM EUROPE
Reality 6 extra trains are to be laid on moving 4.5m bottles of wine 100 miles up the country, over a 6 week period not quite the same.

There are 27.8 million households in the UK so 4.5 million bottles of wine is pretty insignificant in terms of saving Christmas, according to the BBC this morning christmas has been saved as over half of the vacencies have been filled in the poultry industry oddly enough no mention of rail workers sticking their hands up the backsides of turkeys to save Christmas

Yes. 6 extra trains. Taking about 250 loads off the job list for trucks.
Maybe it is better for the environment, and better for the supermarkets, but 250 less truck loads is what it is.

Certainly not the extra drop trailer work some were predicting.
I can`t exactly remember who was looking forward to that?

But it isn’t about the environment or taking work from freight companies it is a click bait headline, there is nothing wrong with containers landing at southern ports destined for the north to be put on trains makes perfect sense BUT this is not what the headline is saying, maybe the editor got confused and put the wrong headline on the wrong article or knows exactly how to make click bait headlines and how easy people fall for them

A bit of a paradox this one…

If Christmas is saved, because enough drivers and other key workers have decided to get double jabbed/take the <£12ph job, or gone against their own carbon footprint in commuting ever further for less to DO that job…

What exactly - got saved?

Not Christmas… Not even self-pride, by the looks of it!

Who gives a ■■■■ about Sleaze - when a lot of us are going to find four-figure energy bills hitting the doormats in January?

There’s still far too much traffic on the roads, too many Christmas lights up in the first half of November FFS that people don’t even seem to realize they cannot afford yet…

A mother of recessions is coming… Now that the Brexit Dividend has been resoundly eclipsed out of existance by Lockdowns and Climate Change concerns - neither of which ANY of us actually voted for!!

Perhaps we can now be united in our disdain of the establishment in that, at least… :frowning:

Mazzer2:
But it isn’t about the environment or taking work from freight companies it is a click bait headline, there is nothing wrong with containers landing at southern ports destined for the north to be put on trains makes perfect sense BUT this is not what the headline is saying, maybe the editor got confused and put the wrong headline on the wrong article or knows exactly how to make click bait headlines and how easy people fall for them

I really dont care how you describe the article. I dont care if it is about “Saving Christmas” (and there was a wry smile on my ugly face as I chose the tread title :smiley:) or about moving freight onto trains to save CO2, save money, or whatever else. I don`t care if it about a half a glass or half a barrel of wine per person.

It is about 250 road trailers going onto the rail.
Good or bad, for whatever reasons you care to discuss. That is what it is. 250 trailers.

I believe they are working on a new breed of “bionic truck driver” - strong enough to push a two ton cage with a faulty wheel from the train station all the way into Tesco in the town center.

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

I really dont care how you describe the article. I dont care if it is about “Saving Christmas” (and there was a wry smile on my ugly face as I chose the tread title :smiley:) or about moving freight onto trains to save CO2, save money, or whatever else. I don`t care if it about a half a glass or half a barrel of wine per person.

Good or bad, for whatever reasons you care to discuss. That is what it is. 250 trailers.

Then why not title it that, so an on topic discussion can follow, fine line between posting a topic to provoke a discussion or posting a topic and looking a knob leave you to decide which it is in this case

Mazzer2:

Franglais:

Mazzer2:

Then why not title it that, so an on topic discussion can follow, fine line between posting a topic to provoke a discussion or posting a topic and looking a knob leave you to decide which it is in this case

Me looking like a knob?
That would be a distinct improvement on my everyday face ! :smiley:

America has a shortage of truck drivers too.
I wonder why.
Probably because tramping between local drops and collections spread around the country isn’t the definition of ‘long haul’ work.
Full load NY or Chigaco to LA and back, is.
While keeping on repeating the lie that most drivers want local/part load work won’t make it true.

youtube.com/watch?v=tRrz0dtE1ew

JeffA:
I believe they are working on a new breed of “bionic truck driver” - strong enough to push a two ton cage with a faulty wheel from the train station all the way into Tesco in the town center.

No they are just pushing the lying propaganda that it’s long haul road transport which is the problem and rail freight and truck drivers only doing the final few miles and working as warehouse labourers when they aren’t driving anywhere, which is the solution.
Result loads of vacancies for anything but class 1 trunking and loads of naive prospective drivers hoping for the freedom of the open road lifestyle.
Except those who know better who are trade plating cars.
Or doing distance van work.
Or delivering fast food part time and making up the money with UC.
Also obviously distance container drivers who’s alarm bells are already rightly ringing when asked to shift a few pallets to the end of the load deck with a pallet truck.

Baggie:
No shortage of train drivers then…wonder why that is :wink:

I currently work for a rail freight operator and there is a huge lack of qualified train drivers in this country.

Like the road haulage industry, aging workforce and not enough people being trained to replace the old boys and girls.

I’ve recently gone into work and been told the yard driver have had to be redirected to main line work. This then creates problems within the yard when re-marshalling trains or moving rolling stock to the required location.
If you think getting an HGV licence is costly, its nothing compared to the cost of getting someone to be a qualified main line driver.
Hence why you very rarely see train operators offering trainee drivers roles.

Nobody wants to be working class.
It ain’t too cool.

Hank Hill:

Baggie:
No shortage of train drivers then…wonder why that is :wink:

I currently work for a rail freight operator and there is a huge lack of qualified train drivers in this country.

Hence why you very rarely see train operators offering trainee drivers roles.

The rail freight sector has supposedly kept the shelves full during the ‘truck driver shortage’.
( Which contrary to the narrative is caused by the loss of decent trunking work because it’s all going by train instead ).

The idea that trains aren’t moving because of lack of qualified drivers while there are no trainee driver jobs being offered is an oxymoron.Although even worse than elitism in the road transport industry it probably goes back to days when you had to do almost a whole career as yard sweeper then engine stoker before being given the keys to a loco a few years before retirement.No problem just stick a British Rail badge on the side of it that’ll fix the problem.They should never have allowed those nasty 8 wheelers let alone allow em to put a two axle trailer on the back.

Boris’ transport policy like his energy policy is like a real life version of the film Idiocracy as would be expected of Brit leadership material.

I thing nothing new.TESCO and Sainsbury have National distribution centre.To there every day come trains with containers,they reload,picking and send with double decker trailer to local DC.It is was for while.One from most product in blue Tesco double decker it is wine,spirits and much more.From here everyday go train to Scotland( Tesco DC)