Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Good evening Berliet/ Renault afficionados

Last weekend I escaped my usual routine to spend a weekend with my good mate Julien (the man who owns a remarkable - and growing - fleet of Renault and Saviem classics).

We spent the weekend ripping parts off of a - now very rare - Berliet model TRH350. This vehicle is just starting its restoration process, of which please find a few pictures below.

This is when she was purchased from her previous owner, a winemaker from the Saint Émilion area not far from Bordeaux. This man happens to have his own lorry museum and he was parting with this particular unit which in former days was used to shunt his collector pieces around on a lowloader.

She is badged Renault but really is a true and proper Berliet, first on the road in Jul 1978.

Shaken by Berliet’s in-house MIVS 08.35.30 14.8-lit V8 power unit

Above pictures date back to when she was purchased a bit over a year ago

Restoration work has now begun and I was lucky enough to be able to attend.

Whereas in the above post she looked very clean and restorable, as we took mudguards and various other components off her the grim reality started becoming visible…

Work beginning

Julien left his safety glasses and auditive protection at work, reason to commend this creative dedication to workplace safety.
Unfortunately hardy a nut or screw would let itself pull the clean way, so we wore off a good few discs…

Whilst on first sight she looked really good, reality soon started to kick in. If ever this cab is to be rescued, it will take some very, very numerous hours to get all of this sorted out and healthy again…

Sadly, it’s not just the tin plate that got all this rust, various sections of the structure are so rotten we could simply push our thumb through, including certain ill-shaped parts that will be not easy to reshape from scratch.
Sadly she was left outside for a few years too many and now the damage is really huge…

Nevertheless she is in a very good technical condition, we found the original Berliet seals on the tacho hence the 530’000kms should be genuine. The coolant fluid was tested - and appeared like new as is the clutch plate which we inspected as well.

Also, the inner sections of the cabin are more healthy than the derelict outside bits - oh and I forgot there are a few holes in the roof the size of a fist as well. She might still come in handy for a fellow collector looking for parts to cut out of her…
Julien might have located a decent cab from a donor, alternatively there are still a few Renaults or Berliets lying about with a good KB2400 shed compatible with the more bulky V8.

If and when more work is being done and I can lay hands on some pictures I will share.

Bonne nuit mes amis

Gentlemen, I am looking for info on the Berliet V800 engine. I believe the engine was in production from about 1968 to about 1978. It was a V8 unit of 6.9 liter (100 x 110) that developed 170hp at 3000 rpm. It was used in busses and possibly in trucks, and it was installed in the Berliet VXB 170 armoured personnel carrier. My questions are the following.
Does anyone on this thread know from when to when the engine was produced?
Was it a direct injection ot indirect injection unit?
Was it ever produced in a turbo-charged version?
Was it regarded as a generally reliable engine or did it leave a lot to be desired?
The Berliet armoured vehicles are still in use with the French police, as far as I know. If so, have the Berliet engines been replaced by more modern engines or are they still in use?

Hi John,

I hope your “old lad” is comfortable and not in too much pain.

Regarding your old Atki,by chance I see it is for sale at Cheffins Vintage auction at Bristol today ! here is the photo from the catalogue,hope it goes to a good home.

Regards
Richard

This “Stradair” has a V800 engine. The owner is living in the south of the Alps and sometimes drives the truck which was a factory prototype.The engine was never sold in a truck but in the bus as you wrote. Perhaps Berliet tried turbo but never commercialized it.

Hey Davidoff, Fuller. :smiley:

Davidoff:
Good evening Berliet/ Renault afficionados

Last weekend I escaped my usual routine to spend a weekend with my good mate Julien (the man who owns a remarkable - and growing - fleet of Renault and Saviem classics).

We spent the weekend ripping parts off of a - now very rare - Berliet model TRH350. This vehicle is just starting its restoration process, of which please find a few pictures below.

This is when she was purchased from her previous owner, a winemaker from the Saint Émilion area not far from Bordeaux. This man happens to have his own lorry museum and he was parting with this particular unit which in former days was used to shunt his collector pieces around on a lowloader.

She is badged Renault but really is a true and proper Berliet, first on the road in Jul 1978.

Shaken by Berliet’s in-house MIVS 08.35.30 14.8-lit V8 power unit

Above pictures date back to when she was purchased a bit over a year ago

Twenty ton of fodder beet delivered in today and came in a French truck so here you go, Buzzer

Photo0213.jpg

Buzzer:
Twenty ton of fodder beet delivered in today and came in a French truck so here you go, Buzzer

Good job load would not stuck, looks like its leaning a bit to the offside as his tipping

They rolled out like marbles but I see what you are saying but most came out on a shallow tip and he was on concrete, he said loads of peat is the worse for sticking even if they sprinkle sand on the floor, cheers Buzzer.

Hi Saviem this was my first lorry as an owner driver 1990.

Evening all,

Well its a sad old saviem writing tonight…I`m sitting on the manger in Jakes Stable, the poor old lad is asleep, pan out, with his head resting on my leg, not at all good, (but in no pain…so the Vet, (and she is very good), tells me), and my Daughter has given me her electronic device to keep me occupied…so if I suddenly go, well my lad needs me.

Maggie D, thank you for that post. I cannot say that I like the Pickfords “faux” livery, but someone else owns her…but her wheels, and the 1973 step rings remain), as I put them together…wonder if she sold? Lovely old lorry, and she had the original RTITB drivers log with her originally, every mile run, every gallon, or pint used up, and every job that she did. Hope that is still with her.

Johnnie, that was some lorry to drive. When I delivered my Viewline to Roberts Bros, they had a 6x4 Viewline in their yard. I do not think that it was a Pickfords unit, perhaps ICI, wonder where she went after their sale? That cab had real potential, but the structure needed work, a bit light the Bernard Television cab by G Pelpel, the concept was right, but it was ahead of both the materials used, and the techniques to produce the product…

A bit like the Berliet V600, and V800 serie engines, that harmon asks about. But really their conceptualisation, and manufacture, and failure, was really ■■■■■■■ with far greater traumas suffered by their instigator Berliet.

Why a “little” V8 of 6.9 litres?..lets go back to the 1960s…and forget Mersey Beat, and the Beatles…remember FFK BMCs, and Bedford TKs,the first Serie D from Ford, and in France little Saviems, and Italian, (OM), Unics…The Common Market was coming, Europe would open, (except for GB), and France`s finest, Berliet, (employer of 24000 souls), needed to be ready…

So she prepared a revolution…across all of her ranges…invested money, (that she really did not have)…already Saint Priest, and Venissieux, together, over 300 hectares of covered production space were bursting to capacity, so Paul Berliet looked further afield, 60 odd kilometres to Bourg en Bresse and acquired 100,000 hectares of ground, and between 1963, and 1964 40000 hectares were converted into covered production space for the Military, Special Types, and Fire Appliance production…as well as new factorys in Africa, and the East!..By 1968 over 1220 staff produced 40 odd units per day from this plant alone!

New ranges…well we have the Relax Cab, forward control, (because the European market would change, overall length would be the criteria, and the comfortable, long bonnets would be of the past), so a comfortable cab over a “big” 12 litre straight 6, (Berliets 06.35.40 range in natural, and eventually Turbo, then intercooled ranges), became the projected winner! But what of the rest? Berliet has developed their new 5.8 litre, 120x130 4 cylinder, (Man combustion), Magic 04.20.30. seroes of moteurs, 120/140, (potential) horsepower to revitalise their GAK serie range of lightweights.

Berliets design and engineering studio, created by Paul himself, in the early ``1960s excelled themselves by creating a “Meccano” range of lorries…the Stradair…(Strada …road…Air…because front and rear axles were air suspended, located by metal leaf springs, Berliets “AIRLAM” suspension. The chassis were notable because there were no cross members, simply an enormose X cross member…oh, and because driver comfort was paramount, the engine was out in front of the front axle by a good 1.8 metres…comfortable cab…but empty little rear axle traction!!!..and of course Air Bag technology was a little…“early” so the bags could puncture quite easily…But what a world beating design…no one could match it…and it was destined to stretch from 5 tonnes…to 35 tonnes…Oh Dear!!!

The success of the Stradair was to be limited by French fiscal policy…the creation of the Zones Bleu, et Vert…limiting the square metre footprint of vehicles delivering into French cities…remember the Stradair had a long “capot” sticking out front, (even if the later ones reduced it somewhat…by 600 mm)!..so Berliet carried on building the older GAK range in parallel!

Then of course came the V engines! Now when Stradair was conceived, and the design studio were working with Phillipe Charbonneaux to create a spectacularly comfortable driving environment…those earnest engineers were creating a serie of V6, and V8 engines, which used common components, to power the larger vehicles…right up to 25, then 35 tonnes gtw.

In the early days of the Stradair concept Berliet had approached ■■■■■■■■ who were already licence building the Vale Vs in Germany for Krupp, and who were also talking to William Lyons in the UK regarding building the V serie at Guy/Meadows, as a possible suitor for the big Stradairs with their V6…but the Bureau D`Etudes proposed a flat version of the 9.5 litre…then a similar version of the 04.20.30…and finally, (totally in keeping with 1960s engine theory), a V6, and V8 engine of 6.9 litres, with a potential in V8 form of circ 200 hp @3000 rpm. Little Vs ruled in the 60s designers heads!

Achieving a viable hp per cylinder across the proposed range, (V600, V800, V825…the latter to power the new TR300 design), was proving expensive, and difficult. On these grounds alone Paul axed the V600 around 1967. The V8s continued in development. 1968 and the first trial running examples of the V800 entered the Berliet works fleet. Untill I saw, this evening, michels picture of one example I was unaware that any had survived, because Berliet, (and later RVI with Berliet engineering control), always, always destroyed test/prototype chassis! Now michels example , if you look closely at the chassis would seem to be the same vehicle that I have a picture of, in the Venissieux works fleet fitted with a tipper body, and crane behind the cab…How on earth did she survive. The two tractor versions, sold/trialed, to Henri Gauthier, of Saint Pardoux La Riviere, down in the Dordogne, certainly did not! But Henri`s son Paul had worked at Saint Priest in the Demonstration area back in the 70s…perhaps that is why those two, (and there were only two), V800, TRS819 , 25 tonne, 190 hp, @3000 rpm MAN Magic direct injection 6.9 litre V8 , with BDSL 6 speed gearboxes, and P821 hub reduction rear ends went down there!

The V800 190 hp, (and its sister the larger capacity V825 300 hp, (sae) engine ), were not Berliets best designs. Paul himself pulled the designs, and development in 1967, the grounds were cost, and the realisation that this design, and its performance would be, and were exceeded by cheaper to produce, and more economic in line designs, both 4, and 6 cylinder. Plus Berliet were trying to stay afloat, the cost of the real estate expansions, plus design and launch of new products had depleted all their cash!..For the first time Volvo, and Fiat came to look at this gem of European lorry manufacture…But in rolled Michelin, owner of Citroen, and literally bankrolled Berliet, (to take under their wing the lorry side of Citroen), and simply carry on with little direct managerial control, just funding, and build the little Citroen lorries at Venissieux.

So Berliet did just that…the range expanded, duplicated, became confused, became unsaleable, and the ship hit the rocks again in the 70s!..But now Volvo wanted that KB 2400 cab, to replace the serie L, and the F88/89…and they had cash available…But that is another story for another night, perhaps when I am not so sad as tonight!

The V800, yes she went into buses, (Cruisair, with Airlam suspension), and the VB armoured range…but with the revs cut down, and 140/150 hp max…and they were terrible, 1973, only sub 300 Cruisair/ P100 Berliet buses had the V800 rear mounted…overall its replacement the UK built V8.510 Perkins, …over 1100 examples!

Main problems…oil consumption, excessive fuel consumption, and sheer noise …and oil leaks…6.9litre 90 degree V8, Man Magic direct injection,3000 rpm…design 1962, produced 1967/1978…

But if you could see the cab design proposed by Charbonneaux, then Jullien of Bureau d`Etudes for the heavy Stradairs, boy, they would set any drivers pulse racing…but then came the European superstate, and cabovers became de rigor…sad, all individualism went away on that day…

And Im away right now, its getting cold, my lad is resting on a deep bed of shavings, its warm for him, he is comfortable…and sadly nearing his end…so Im away for a quick Café Calvados, then back to my pal…

Adieu, mes braves.

Hi Saviem,
This one from Netherton or Birmingham? ( G.Dowlings Pic) Cheers Pete

Pete,I think that one is from Birmingham,Ryland used to have a depot just off Broad street.Been there many times for spares years ago.

leylandlover:
Pete,I think that one is from Birmingham,Ryland used to have a depot just off Broad street.Been there many times for spares years ago.

I thought Birmingham because of the TK in front and i cannot remember any street like that round Netherton but I am sure Saviem will put me right, Cheer’s Pete

Hi Saviem,
One just for you in Mill Street Goods Depot,Cheers Pete

pete smith:

leylandlover:

I thought Birmingham because of the TK in front and i cannot remember any street like that round Netherton but I am sure Saviem will put me right, Cheer’s Pete

I think the one in Saltwells road in Netherton was much later than that photo, I think it was Dudley motor company Ford agents before It was Rylands ?
put us right Saviem :slight_smile:

i really feel for you john , our animal friends , ask so little of us and give so willingly . we can’t talk to them , or listen but their eyes tell all . it is a terrible time when age takes it’s toll ( as it does with all of us ) we can only give comfort as best we can . i hope jake goes peacefully and leaves you with many happy memories once the grief has faded a little . regards , dave

pete smith:
Hi Saviem,
This one from Netherton or Birmingham? ( G.Dowlings Pic) Cheers Pete

Evening all,

Pete, Trev, the Leyland is parked in a street off Ryland Street, central Birmingham, by the glass warehouse. Rylands had two wreckers, that .600 powered one, and a Matador. Sometimes the Leyland was operated from the Fleet Hire operation at Colleshill, where the Black Oil contract for Fina ran from. Later it became the main Contract Hire base for the Group, and then had White Trucks Concession bolted on!

When I was at Old Hill Motors, Dudley Motor Company was still going in Saltwells Road, with the D serie lorries. Then they closed, and Ryland bought the premises, and moved Old Hill up there as Ryland Dudley. But for years Old Hill had used that triangular piece of ground behind Saltwells Road as a compound, bounded by the Canal, and accessed (at a funny angle), from a gate just below the brow of the bridge by Danks`s, along the main road into Old Hill from Dudley.

Nasty little entrance, and when we used to get a delivery of new Thompson "Trailmobile " 33ft trailers, (normally two high), their drivers would leave them on the uphill slope of the bridge, rather than try to back in themselves. So it was my job, (as a Junior Commercial Vehicle Salesman), to nip up with our “shunter”, a rather careworn Leyland Comet unit ex Petrofina, (having jump started it), and pop them into the yard. An easy 10 minute skive off work…

And as such I anticipated it being, one dark wet and windy day I think 1970…anyway, having coupled up, climbed back into the wet cab…(there was a distinct lack of glazing in our shunter), put the piece of sacking inside the closed drivers door to prevent what little rain I could, entering my workplace, and damaging even more my worn, blue suit,I banged her into reverse, and completely blind reversed into the bumpy yard…no problems as I felt the trailers and unit rolling in and out of the ruts, my concern being my suit…or what little of it remained vaguely dry!

I stopped, into first, just to ease the bogie out of what I anticipated to be some cavernous rut, and she stalled…start, again…oh thank goodness she did…few revs…and the cab shot up like a V2 rocket…B…, (but thank goodness, she did not stall), …I ripped down the sacking from the door…pushed my head out into the torrent…and there were just the tops of the Michelin tyres peeping out from the gently lapping waters of the Birmingham Canal Navigations!

And that Gentlemen is how I came to experience the pulling power of Ryland Garages Matador…and the ribbing of my colleagues, (and many who enjoyed my discomfort from the vantage point of the bridge parapet)…“call yourself a driver”■■?..well yes…I suppose!

The Matador was written off one day, when returning down Powke Lane Blackheath, towing a “broken” Mk 1 Atkinson 180 ■■■■■■■ laden Black Oiler combination, which overtook the Matador, bending the bar, and tossing the old girl to one side…nasty bank Powke Lane back in the early 70s, Sam Anderson`s Scanias used to whistle up and down it from their yard at the bottom…and did they carry some weight on those battered Northern trailers!

The only other breakdown lorry that I can remember Ryland Dudley having was ex Halls of Finchley, after Bill Whale bought them out, and into the Group. She was an ex dustcart Seddon, Leyland .400 powered, with a double drive back end grafted on, and (I think), either WW2 Holmes twin boom set up, or something similar…But I was long gone from these shores then!

rigsby, appreciate your kind message, thank you.

Happy memories…boy I never ever lived that day down!

Cheerio for now.

Regarding the heavy oil job,I worked on the spanners for Hire Services,part of the Allen ways coach company from Park Street Birmingham.The tankers collected from Oldbury Gulf terminal and delivered to a lot of the prisons and major stores.