Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Thank You for reply Saviem, talking of Powke Lane here is pic of British Sound Recording, Cheer’s Pete

Leyland and AEC Preston Docks.jpg

Working scenes…

3097930251_2_3_hA6ZORyw.jpg

Cliff luxton:
Hi Saviem this was my first lorry as an owner driver 1990.

Hey Cliff

Did that unit previously belong to Ron Wild in Cornwall? I remember it from back in the day but can’t recall 100% who ran it, although with those flags on the side of the cab I’m guessing it was on for Mesguen up at St Pol de Leon?

Craig

Craig 111:

Cliff luxton:
Hi Saviem this was my first lorry as an owner driver 1990.

Hey Cliff

Did that unit previously belong to Ron Wild in Cornwall? I remember it from back in the day but can’t recall 100% who ran it, although with those flags on the side of the cab I’m guessing it was on for Mesguen up at St Pol de Leon?

Craig

PRL is Cornish prefix Buzzer.

Buzzer:
PRL is Cornish prefix Buzzer.

You’re right squire, RL, CV, GL and AF were the traditional Cornish registrations until it all went mad with the new system!

Click for full pic…

3202915275_1_2_1fdZwR2L-001.jpg

Broken down ?..then fix it…!!!

2381100763_1.jpg

2944518073_2_3-001.jpg

Fergie47:
Click for full pic…

Seasons Greetings to you and your family Fergie and thank you for posting all the pics of French vehicles,never seen photos of the older models, very stylish and completely different to British offerings at the time,Cheer’s Pete

A few in the snow…

3233037125_1_6_iJRA3Lbk.jpg

8341733305_ef9f6e2da0_n.jpg

3177566433_1_2_Rld4P65o.jpg

3206212191_1_2_UgRHzyk2.jpg

One for Saviem…

3242441307_1_2_YdMPqomc-001.jpg

pete smith:

Fergie47:
Click for full pic…

Seasons Greetings to you and your family Fergie and thank you for posting all the pics of French vehicles,never seen photos of the older models, very stylish and completely different to British offerings at the time,Cheer’s Pete

Thanks Pete, appreciated…

It’s nice to share the pic’s…France was a fascinating place to drive in the late '60’s early '70’s, with all those beautiful wagons…sadly replaced by the now Euro-look-a-likes…much like today’s cars…no personality… :cry:

Few black and white pic’s of oldies…

3216568669_2_2_ABON3m8b.jpg

Hi Fergie, The 5th photograph you have just posted, one with the timber trailer on, is that a boiler behind cab? Plus I like the trailer tyres!!

Fergie47:

Hiya,
Just reading the caption’ on this set of pictures, brings me back to my early days,
when working in the haulage industry, throughout my career I must have worked
for in the region of thirty firms in the time some twice one three times and some
just doing a bit of holiday relief but what sticks in my mind is how many times in
the early days I was asked could I change a wheel and was I able to do basic jobs
to get the old girls home and of course can you sheet and rope ? the answer was
always yes my “Old Man” having had a vehicle repair business before becoming a
driver so I wasn’t bad on the spanners and quite expert at the sheeting’ n’ roping.
The only thing that would have got me refused a start was my ability to find the
lorry washing equipment I hated that job and never ever did it.
thanks harry, long retired

pete smith:
Hi Fergie, The 5th photograph you have just posted, one with the timber trailer on, is that a boiler behind cab? Plus I like the trailer tyres!!

It’s gas Pete…popular during the war years, and I think experimented with prior to, and post war as well.
One of the professors will no doubt tell us how it all worked… :wink:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

It’s gas Pete…popular during the war years, and I think experimented with prior to, and post war as well.

Ah,producer gas,here is pic of a bus with a gas producing trailer behind, performance was very poor apparently,Cheer’s Pete

Warren Farm Rd.jpg

harry_gill:

Fergie47:

Hiya,
Just reading the caption’ on this set of pictures, brings me back to my early days,
when working in the haulage industry, throughout my career I must have worked
for in the region of thirty firms in the time some twice one three times and some
just doing a bit of holiday relief but what sticks in my mind is how many times in
the early days I was asked could I change a wheel and was I able to do basic jobs
to get the old girls home and of course can you sheet and rope ? the answer was
always yes my “Old Man” having had a vehicle repair business before becoming a
driver so I wasn’t bad on the spanners and quite expert at the sheeting’ n’ roping.
The only thing that would have got me refused a start was my ability to find the
lorry washing equipment I hated that job and never ever did it.
thanks harry, long retired

Old school Harold, old school…full tool box in the foot well, spare belts, suzies, fuel pipe joiners, spare straight injector pipe, top and bottom rad hose, lenght of heater hose, clips, nuts, bolts, gaff tape…nearly always get yourself out of trouble…I did on a few occasions…
The photo of the engine rebuild is something else though…looks like a piston / liner jobbie…

pete smith:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Ah,producer gas, seen some pictures of buses during war years with a bag on top for the gas,Cheer’s Pete

Hiya,
Pete gas fuelled buses are much in evidence in the North East at the moment
I’ve only seen single deckers and what looks like an extension on the roof is I
guess the gas holder.
thanks harry, long retired.

pete smith:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Ah,producer gas,here is pic of a bus with a gas producing trailer behind, performance was very poor apparently,Cheer’s Pete

harry_gill:

pete smith:

Fergie47:

pete smith:

Ah,producer gas, seen some pictures of buses during war years with a bag on top for the gas,Cheer’s Pete

Hiya,
Pete gas fuelled buses are much in evidence in the North East at the moment
I’ve only seen single deckers and what looks like an extension on the roof is I
guess the gas holder.
thanks harry, long retired.

Hi Harry, I edited my above post and inserted a picture of a bus with a gas producing trailer behind, I have seen pictures of buses during ww2 with a big bag tied to the roof to contain the gas but could not find any pictures of one,Cheer’s Pete