Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

ERF-NGC-European:
Berliet

With what appears to be an old Saviem Paris bus behind.

Indeed, and in fact a TAK intially fitted either with a 160 bhp 8 litre 5-cylinder, or a 200 bhp 10 litres 6-cyl, but somewhat transformed. The radiator grille comes from a Berliet TBO, because a larger radiator has been fitted, certainly to provide proper cooling for a big engine. Maybe a 12 litre 250 bhp, as it was the case on the one below, which was for sale a few years ago.

Berliet TAK 12 Guiltat (2).JPG

1970 Saviem 26.240.
Oily

Froggy55:

pv83:

Froggy55:
The two main Belgian truck manufacturers were Miesse (or Automiesse) and Brossel; both also built bus/coach chassis. Here’s an ad’ and picture of a Miesse 835T powered by a 150 bhp Gardner 8LW engine

I wonder if there are any left? In a private collection or museum perhaps,?

I found this picture on internet, but without any comment. Definitely looks preserved, but where?

Very interesting Paul, I’ll see if I can find out some more about it!

ERF-NGC-European:

pv83:

ERF-NGC-European:
I agree with Froggy on both counts:

what a fantastic array of Belgian wagons;

and yes they put sleeper cabs on Brit lorries that we could have been thus adorning, the best example of which IMHO is the Bollekens cabbed AEC Mk 5 (I created a separate thread about those).

ERF-Continental created a number of threads on here following the fortunes not only of the Dutch and Belgian manufacturers but how those two countries utilised UK-manufactured lorries as well.

Makes you wonder why they were never able to build a decent cab on the home market? Not slagging it off, as I for one quite like seeing a AEC with it’s original cab, but the ones Bollekens made must have been felt “premium” in comparison?

One of the reasons was that the unions were against sleeper cabs here. They never really took off till the '70s, with the odd examples doing long-haul Continental work a bit earlier.

Odd though isn’t it? If you were given the choice to either sleep in your cab or in some “establishment” what would you choose? I can understand the choice wasn’t that hard during a harsh winter though…

oiltreader:
1970 Saviem 26.240.
Oily

Pity they don’t make 'em like that anymore Oily :wink:

Froggy55:
Indeed, and in fact a TAK intially fitted either with a 160 bhp 8 litre 5-cylinder, or a 200 bhp 10 litres 6-cyl, but somewhat transformed. The radiator grille comes from a Berliet TBO, because a larger radiator has been fitted, certainly to provide proper cooling for a big engine. Maybe a 12 litre 250 bhp, as it was the case on the one below, which was for sale a few years ago.

That cab just started to appear over here on foreign lorries in the late '60s. Here’s a picture I took in Spring 1970 at the Gate Cafe on the A2 at Dunkirk:

lorries 1970 pic 3.jpg

oiltreader:
1970 Saviem 26.240.
Oily

Just a Saviem-rebadged MAN, in fact.

ERF-NGC-European:
That cab just started to appear over here on foreign lorries in the late '60s. Here’s a picture I took in Spring 1970 at the Gate Cafe on the A2 at Dunkirk:

The Relaxe cab was first launched in 1959 on the small GAK range in its narrow version.

And also in 1959 for the wide version which includes a sleeper on the 6-wheeled GPRK 10

In 1961 were introduced the GRK (rigid-4)…

and TRK 10 (tractor)

Froggy55:

ERF-NGC-European:

3The Relaxe cab was first launched in 1959 on the small GAK range in its narrow version.

2And also in 1959 for the wide version which includes a sleeper on the 6-wheeled GPRK 10

0In 1961 were introduced the GRK (rigid-4)…

1and TRK 10 (tractor)

Thanks for that! :sunglasses:

Was this Paris’s answer to LDOY? :laughing:

Les

Truck drivers championship sponsored by “Les Routiers” (truckers’ magazine) and Unic.

Froggy55:
Truck drivers championship sponsored by “Les Routiers” (truckers’ magazine) and Unic.

:laughing: …so it really WAS France’s answer to the Lorry Driver of the Year competition. Love it!

WAS, yes, because I doubt it still exists.

ERF it is a seldom Berliet built by Guiltat transport firm with a more powerful engine that original one.It’s still exist somewhere in France.

michel:
ERF it is a seldom Berliet built by Guiltat transport firm with a more powerful engine that original one.It’s still exist somewhere in France.

I assume Guiltat fashioned the snout to accommodate extra pots :smiley:

In fact, I was at the time interested in buying this unusual Berliet, but there was definitely a big mechanical problem with it. Every moving part was stuck. Had the engine, rear axle or gearbox seized? The gearbox stick couldn’t be moved. So I gave up the idea. The only operational equipment was the lighting.

1947 DiamondT M20, credit to Dave Fawcett for the photo.
Oily

Never seen this one before; looks well preserved.

Froggy55:
In fact, I was at the time interested in buying this unusual Berliet, but there was definitely a big mechanical problem with it. Every moving part was stuck. Had the engine, rear axle or gearbox seized? The gearbox stick couldn’t be moved. So I gave up the idea. The only operational equipment was the lighting.

Do you know if it was bought by someone else? Would be a pity if it ended up at the scrapyard.