Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

An oddity to finish off, a Yugoslavian(?) Jelcz 325 seen at Porte de Bagnolet.

Credit: Alain Mugica

Jelcz is a Polish truck & bus manufacturer:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jelcz

Froggy55:

I was assuming that ParkRoyal already knew that Jelcz was a Polish make and that the point he was making is that it is registered in Yugoslavia, which does indeed appear to be the case :wink: .

Difficult to say. Several flags of various western Europe and USA; many stickers in French probably mean that this truck regularly drove to France. Also some stickers in Cyrillic alphabet. I made a quick research, and indeed the numberplate could match with the pre-1992 Yugoslavian system. Then, the letters “ST” would indicate the town or area of the registration.

Some 6 wheelers

Mix of old artics, except pic 6.

Old pic from the 60s…how it was then, and in some villages how it still is today.

Resting up…

big-7999816660.jpg

big-78649704e6.jpg

big-7998865e20.jpg

Fergie47:
Some 6 wheelers

What a lovely selection! Thanks!

Fergie47:
Old pic from the 60s…how it was then, and in some villages how it still is today.

Nowadays, most cows have their horns chopped off.

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Some 6 wheelers

Apart from the Flurey wagon, they all look like double drive, they appear to have the same drive shafts / hubs…what do you reckon Froggy ? would DD that have been the normal set up for those wagons in the 50s

Whoops, posted twice…

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Some 6 wheelers

Apart from the Flurey wagon, they all look like double drive, they appear to have the same drive shafts / hubs…what do you reckon Froggy ? would DD that have been the normal set up for those wagons in the 50s

In fact, none are double drive. The hubs can’t be seen properly. Until 1936, the GCW for a 6-wheeler was 22 tonnes; then reduced to 19 tonnes according to the “rail-road agreements of 1934-36”, before being brought back to 22 tonnes in 1945, and then quiclky 26 tonnes. No matter if they’re single or double drive.

France did not produce double-drive 6-wheelers for standard purposes until the late fifties. The only exceptions were the truck built for special purposes (heavy haulage) and the Army. After WW II, the tough job on building sites was mostly done with American trucks such as GMCs or various wreckers converted into tippers. The first all-purpose 6x4s were, I think, the Willème R 15 TP in the late '40s, followed by the Berliet GBO in 1955.

Froggy55:

Fergie47:

Froggy55:

Fergie47:
Some 6 wheelers

In fact, none are double drive. The hubs can’t be seen properly. Until 1936, the GCW for a 6-wheeler was 22 tonnes; then reduced to 19 tonnes according to the “rail-road agreements of 1934-36”, before being brought back to 22 tonnes in 1945, and then quiclky 26 tonnes. No matter if they’re single or double drive.

France did not produce double-drive 6-wheelers for standard purposes until the late fifties. The only exceptions were the truck built for special purposes (heavy haulage) and the Army. After WW II, the tough job on building sites was mostly done with American trucks such as GMCs or various wreckers converted into tippers. The first all-purpose 6x4s were, I think, the Willème R 15 TP in the late '40s, followed by the Berliet GBO in 1955.

Cheers Froggy, I was going on the old British conversion drag axles like Primrose, York etc that looked nothing like the drive axles, these all look the same, so assumed, wrongly they were driven.
I’ve seen a Saviem 6 wheeler that my friend in Scaer has,with the body off, and the second axle was just a drive axle with the diff removed, is this how they did it instead of engineering a different complete axle, it would make sense although it would have weighed a tad more…

Fergie47:
Cheers Froggy, I was going on the old British conversion drag axles like Primrose, York etc that looked nothing like the drive axles, these all look the same, so assumed, wrongly they were driven.
I’ve seen a Saviem 6 wheeler that my friend in Scaer has,with the body off, and the second axle was just a drive axle with the diff removed, is this how they did it instead of engineering a different complete axle, it would make sense although it would have weighed a tad more…

The same fitting was offered by other French manufacturers such as Unic, and was really mean! Indeed, the second rear axle was a driving axle with an empty shell in its middle. I remember that one of my colleagues at Cosne-Transports (c. 1980-81) had an Unic P 270 6x2 with a Genève cab. It was mainly used to supply coal to small factories or privates, and he often kept it in front of his house in remote countryside for the night. Well, it often had to be towed in the morning, just because it had rained during the night and had the two wheel of one side on the grassy bank! Seen from behind, it looked like a 6x4 but wasn’t; a bit like Canada Dry.

Fergie47:
Some 6 wheelers

Now that’s a removals wagon.

ERF-NGC-European:

Froggy55:

I was assuming that ParkRoyal already knew that Jelcz was a Polish make and that the point he was making is that it is registered in Yugoslavia, which does indeed appear to be the case :wink: .

That’s what I was getting at, but I could’ve been more explicit.

Steve

A Polish Star 200 in 1990.

45794148482_9e70c9a5bd_o.jpg

Can anyone familiar with Eastern Europe tell me what’s going on here?

Willème LD610 Transports Cotel Rouen (taken in 1988)

45118504634_2b4058bd2e_o.jpg

MAN 32-281 tipper (taken 1989)

MAN 26-281 converted to a boom/ cherry picker in Oz

IMG_20180801_105034.jpg

Credit: me.