Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

ERF-Continental:
See attached picture…later Desot of Gits also imported Lancia

Tip-Top will know more details as he is from that region

Hey nice brochure well done.

Eric,

michel:
Renault Galion tipper from 1964 with Alfa-Romeo engine.
image hosting

Exactly the same as my friend’s.

I’ve started listening to podcasts made by Truck & Driver on my long journeys, and this episode in particular I thought was really fascinating, a in-depth view of the DAF 3300 range in the UK, the introduction of the DAF 95 and more, all told by someone who worked for DAF in that period, if you click on the link, it should direct you to said episode; audioboom.com/posts/7559284-bon … rview-2019

Froggy55:

Dipster:
I never saw French-registered Alfa trucks either, but I also did not know Saviem used Alfa engines. You really can learn something every day, eh?

To my opinion, that’s the main point of a good forum, such as tnuk!

Indeed Paul, merci beaucoup to you and all the others that provided us with the info :wink:

tiptop495:

pv83:

Froggy55:
0What about this beautiful Alfa-Romeo Mille tractor, obviously on display at a motor show?

Looks really nice IMHO Paul, were these actually for sale in France back in the day?

Hey, Three axle were only for Italy.

Cheers Eric, did these made it onto the Belgian market though? As there was a lot of interesting stuff for sale back in the 50s and 60s in Belgium.

The following is what I wrote to Fergie in an email, regarding a trip I’ve made about a month ago now, Fergie suggested to post it on here as well so hopefully it’s interesting enough, otherwise I’ll delete it again… :blush:

Funny enough it began with a trip to Dornbirn, Austria. I had to deliver two parts for a new bakery line there, it’s a Dutch firm that designs and builds that sort of stuff and sends it out worldwide, you never realise that there’s a whole world of technology behind all of that when you pick up a loaf of bread at the supermarket do you?

After tipping there I went back up to Germany, as the place where I had to load was near Koblenz, Lautert, but you wouldn’t suspect a factory there, that’s for sure! Have a look at erlenbach.de .Good thing at loading there is that you don’t have to sheet the load, because they wrap it up in plastic and then heat it, that did stayed put most of the journey. After having finished loading I had to stay put, getting my 9 hours off on, as one is not allowed to drive on the national roads with a wide and heavy load during the day, normally it’s only between 10pm and 6am, not that it made any difference if I left earlier because there’s the driving ban on the motorways to consider. I left at 9.30 and made my way on the L337, B274, 260, 274 all the way to Katzenelnbogen, from there it was back on little back roads, L322, L318 until we joined the B54 again, then a bit that lead through an industrial estate in Limburg, and eventually on to the A3 Cologne bound. Stopped the first night at an MSA near Auetal on the A2, second night was needed to get to the ferry in Kiel. All quite straightforward, A2, A352, A7, 210, 215 and into Kiel towards the Color Line terminal. Reported at the gate, guard let me in through the wide load gate and I was off for a kip! Reported at the office the next morning to check-in, and at around noon they collected me and I was on the ferry. Quite a luxurious one at that, I’ve been on several ferries to and from the UK, but this was quite something else, I suspect that the lack of lorry drivers on board had something to do with it! Went to bed early though, as all that night driving isn’t really my cup of tea…

Got out on Saterday morning to see how far we were from Oslo, and I was taking in the view, it’s really nice when you pass all the glaciers sort of, I couldn’t help but think of the Vikings, they must have felt the same thing when they came back from one of their campaigns.

As there’s a driving ban for wide and heavy loads in Norway during the weekend, only thing I had to do was get off the ferry, get customs sorted, drop the trailer inside the terminal, and park up, easy peasy eh! And best thing of it is that the terminal is just a 10 minute walk away from town centre! Had a great weekend, albeit a wee bit expensive, visited two museums that gives you a better insight in Viking life (obviously) and earlier Norwegian life, I already explored town centre before when I was week ended there when I was on for Mammoet, but it’s definitely a place that doesn’t get boring.
Anyway, set off again early on Monday morning, as there’s a driving ban for heavies in Oslo from 7 to 9, again a straightforward route, but what I didn’t expect was that although I was on a E road, some parts were smaller than your local Route National or D route! I drove the E6 all the way up to Foldereid, and then joined the 770 to Rorvik, honestly mate, you wouldn’t believe the scenery, some bits look like Scotland, but with trees, some bits look like the French Alps and some bits look like Scandinavia as you would imagine it would look like. Such a joy to drive up there, and especially when it comes to traffic, you’ll only see a bit of traffic every 15 to 20 minutes or so. Unbelievable… After unloading at a new fish processing plant (Sinkaberg Hansen AS) I went back towards Trondheim, and continued the next day towards Oslo, this time using road nr.3, according the the pilot that was 45 kilometres shorter and lead through mostly forest, he wasn’t joking, never saw so many trees in one place! Stopped for a break at The Big Silver Moose, which is indeed big. Kept on going towards Oslo where the decision was made to drive over land towards Denmark, instead of using the ferry again, so hopped into Sweden, towards Helsingborg where I took the little ferry to Helsingor and drove down south towards Rodby to take the ferry crossing to Puttgarden. Loaded a mobile digger in Lubeck the next morning (this being a Friday) and was able to tip that in the afternoon at the Euro Auction site in Dormagen, after that it was simply going back to the yard. Not a bad two weeks that was, but I wouldn’t want to go up now though, as I’ve already seen footage of lorries driving in the snow there!

Pic’s that go with the story…

20210919_124649.jpg

20210918_165905.jpg

20210917_152435.jpg

20210917_152422.jpg

20210922_124155.jpg

20210922_124106.jpg

20210922_124030.jpg

20210921_141735.jpg

Well done! When I see all the drivers who spend entire week-ends stuck in their cabs fiddling with their smartphones on servicing areas…

Froggy55:
Well done! When I see all the drivers who spend entire week-ends stuck in their cabs fiddling with their smartphones on servicing areas…

Absolutely! Reminds me of when I used to write Long Distance Diaries for Truck magazine while I was behind the wheel. That way I’d get paid twice for some trips! :sunglasses:

280780-BERN_BZB.jpg

Hi p.v. Thanks for sharing your excellent post and photos.I found them very interesting.look forward to more :smiley: cheers Ray

stargazer148:
Hi p.v. Thanks for sharing your excellent post and photos.I found them very interesting.look forward to more :smiley: cheers Ray

ERF-NGC-European:

Froggy55:

Absolutely! Reminds me of when I used to write Long Distance Diaries for Truck magazine while I was behind the wheel. That way I’d get paid twice for some trips! :sunglasses:

Cheers for the kind words lads, as you say Paul, a lot of drivers seem to spent their entire weekend in the cab, fiddling about on their mobile phone or watching tv… something I never understood, as to me, part of the job is that you get to interesting places, and if you’re near, why not explore the area?

Reminds of a weekend I had in Noyant de Touraine, at one of the few Les Routiers that’s opened during the weekend, there’s a railway station in the middle of the village, so you can either go to Tours or Poitiers, having only driven on the ringroad of both places, I was curious about how town centre looked like, so flipped a coin and bought a ticket to go to Tours. Beautiful place, although some fancy shops were shut because the “gilet jaune” brigade smashed some of those shops. So as you can imagine, there was a large group of coppers present, this was, as I found out later, to watch and guide another protest of the yellow vest brigade, but apart from that, I quite liked the place.

So upon my return to Noyant, I bumped into 3 former colleagues of mine, and they asked me where I’ve been all day, when I said I took the train to Tours, they looked at me in disbelief, as if I’ve just told them I came back from Mars!

Anyway, if there’s enough interest Stargazer, I’ve got lots of stories and pic’s of my “tourist” activities :wink:

Do the Long Distance Diaries still exist?

pv83:
Do the Long Distance Diaries still exist?

Quite a lot of them have been scanned by various people and posted on whichever threads they fitted! I still have hard copies. Some went into those books that reprinted the more popular ones three or four years back.

ERF-NGC-European:

The first one is a “regular” TV. What about the second? The cab has a few styling cues from the later, more conservative Bernard, but it is not one of those.

The firts is indeed a TV-cabbed Bernard, probably a screen shot from a TV serie of the sixties, the name of which I can’t remember. The second is a Saviem JM with an unusual cab.

Froggy55:
The firts is indeed a TV-cabbed Bernard, probably a screen shot from a TV serie of the sixties, the name of which I can’t remember. The second is a Saviem JM with an unusual cab.

A Saviem! That rings a bell- I think there is another of the same type, somewhere on this thread. Monsieur Michel may know the details.

Berliet GLR Transports R. Gandon Laval.

Credit: Alain Mugica

There was some discussion recently about an Alfa lorry, so here’s a Lancia Asagamma…

Credit: Alain Mugica