Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Thanks for the reply Froggy, I’ve been spending quite a bit of time this last few days studying Google satellite images.

The former line from Cosne to Bourges is relatively easy to discern, although the metre gauge line that you mentioned in a previous post, the one that linked St-Satur with Neuilly, of this I can find no evidence, although given that the line closed at around the time of my birth, this is hardly surprising.

Similar with the metre gauge from La Guerche to Argent, of this line I can find little evidence either. The only indication that this railway line ever existed in Veaugues is the 200 metre strip of greenery close by your domicile that runs parallel with the D49 heading for Jalognes…That’s if I’m reading it correctly of course, but it does appear to tally with your photograph, although the embankment seems to have been levelled evidently.

I’ve managed to locate Argent-sur-Sauldre, which I assume is the place that you mean, but with regards to locating La Guerche, I can only assume that the La Guerche in question is La Guerche-sur-L’aubois…would that be correct?

I find all this fascinating personally, but I suspect that I may possibly form a minority of one, so in fairness to the regular contributors to Saviem’s thread, and in order to avoid being shown a red card by the moderators, I may restrict any of my future comments to trucks, be they British trucks, European trucks, “far” trucks , or beautiful trucks…I won’t mention the Euro-Remorque again either…Promise.

So cheers Froggy…see you on the prom mate.

Edouard le Philistine.

Eddie Heaton:
Thanks for the reply Froggy, I’ve been spending quite a bit of time this last few days studying Google satellite images.

The former line from Cosne to Bourges is relatively easy to discern, although the metre gauge line that you mentioned in a previous post, the one that linked St-Satur with Neuilly, of this I can find no evidence, although given that the line closed at around the time of my birth, this is hardly surprising.

Similar with the metre gauge from La Guerche to Argent, of this line I can find little evidence either. The only indication that this railway line ever existed in Veaugues is the 200 metre strip of greenery close by your domicile that runs parallel with the D49 heading for Jalognes…That’s if I’m reading it correctly of course, but it does appear to tally with your photograph, although the embankment seems to have been levelled evidently.

I’ve managed to locate Argent-sur-Sauldre, which I assume is the place that you mean, but with regards to locating La Guerche, I can only assume that the La Guerche in question is La Guerche-sur-L’aubois…would that be correct?

I find all this fascinating personally, but I suspect that I may possibly form a minority of one, so in fairness to the regular contributors to Saviem’s thread, and in order to avoid being shown a red card by the moderators, I may restrict any of my future comments to trucks, be they British trucks, European trucks, “far” trucks , or beautiful trucks…I won’t mention the Euro-Remorque again either…Promise.

Edouard le Philistine.

Edouard le P…the Saviem thread has never been just about camions…its always covered a range of topics, mostly French… trains and villages have been posted many times over the years, and your last posts have been both interesting and informative. so keep on posting photos and stories of your experiences in France…

You may find this intresting.

image.jpgThe more observant visitors to this forum may find this photograph familiar.

The reason for this being that this is its second appearance, as I posted it on the wreckers thread quite some time ago.
I don’t pretend to know what it is, as it’s common knowledge that I know jack sh*t about French motors,… and only fractionally more about British ones if it comes to that.

It may not even be a French motor,… I’ve only just considered that possibility actually,…but I daresay we’ll soon know, one way or the other.

The thing is, I find it strangely…well,…if not exactly beautiful,…then aesthetically pleasing, in a rugged ’ butch ’ kind of way.

Now for the seriously pedantic visitors amongst us, the photograph was taken near Seranon on the RN 85 on the quinzième août, mille neuf cent quatre vingt sept…I’m not too sure about the time as I’d been mugged in Cannes and had my Rolex Oyster stolen…plaisanterie.

Errr!, sorry about this, but following the time honoured tradition of leaving nothing alone for more than five minutes, the powers that be would appear to have re-designated the RN85 as the D6085 these days.

Apologies for that.

Le Philistine.

Eddie Heaton:

Edouard le Philistine.

The course of the St-Satur to Neuilly line is nowadays used on most of its length by country lanes, excepted for a few short stretches. The La Guerche (sur l’Aubois, of course) to the big Beffes cement plant section was converted to dual gauge in 1938 and standard from 1956; traffic suspebded from 2020. The rest of the line to Argent has been mostly scraped away from the landscape, apart from a few stretches.

Argent gare 2016-01 (36).JPG

The station in Argent once upon a time was used by three railway companies running 4 lines. Compagnie du Chemin de Fer de Paris à Orléans with the line from Etanpes to Bourges via Pithiviers and Les Bordes, plus the branch to Gien. Chemin de Fer du Blanc à Argent (B-A) with the meter-gauge line to Le Blanc via Romorantin; Société Générale des Chemins de fer Economiques (S-E) with the la Guerche to Argent line. As you’ll see on the pictures, Argent is now a ghost-station; though the tracks are still in place, they’re no longer linked to the rest of the network. The last traffic, gas tanks for the Rateau factory in Aubigny, ceased in 2011.

DEANB:
You may find this intresting.

That place was close to the A 20 motorway and a friend of mine, a WW II truck enthusiast, used to get spare parts there. No idea if it still exists.

Back to French road vehicles now with this 1952 Renault van, which has just been dragged out of the barn in which it had been resting for 40 years by my local garage owner who intends to refurbish it. In good condition, excepted for the engine, which is blocked.Lets’ hope he’ll go ahead with the idea!

I’m intrigued by what appear to be small turntables on all of the tracks Froggy. They look as though they’re intended to transfer trucks from one track to another one, although they hardly appear to be large enough.

I’ve seen the same principle applied on narrow gauge tracks years ago within the boundaries of British collieries ( remember those ? ) , but I don’t recall ever having seen them used on a main line as would appear to be the case in this photo.

That is of course , if that’s their intended purpose.

Hi Froggy,

Thanks for those pics, here’s mine up and running and waiting for the Locomotion event, whenever that will be ? I can bring her across the channel and catch up with the “Three Musketeers” Fergie47,PV63,and Pete Smith.
She spent her working life in Paris as a coal lorry so the mileage is low.

Regards
Richard

DSC_0197.jpg

Hiya,
Was France ever in competion with the US of A to see who could produce the
ugliest road going lorries, both have produced some horrors over the ages,

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Was France ever in competion with the US of A to see who could produce the
ugliest road going lorries, both have produced some horrors over the ages,

Morning Harry,
Hope you are keeping well?
I rather like some of the strange French cab designs but if you look at some of the cabs there was a lot of space for the driver and the doors has a generous opening to gain easy access to and from the cab but I have never really took to anything from the USA! Cheer’s Pete

MaggieD:
Hi Froggy,

Thanks for those pics, here’s mine up and running and waiting for the Locomotion event, whenever that will be ? I can bring her across the channel and catch up with the “Three Musketeers” Fergie47,PV63,and Pete Smith.

Regards
Richard

Good Morning Richard,
Nice little motor that, the cab design reminds me of the Dennis Pax from the 1950’s.
A yes regards La Locomotion event but young Whips will not be happy with you adding 20 years to his age, PV63!!

Here’s looking to a good catch up in 2022!
Best Regards Pete

Eddie Heaton:
I’m intrigued by what appear to be small turntables on all of the tracks Froggy. They look as though they’re intended to transfer trucks from one track to another one, although they hardly appear to be large enough.

I’ve seen the same principle applied on narrow gauge tracks years ago within the boundaries of British collieries ( remember those ? ) , but I don’t recall ever having seen them used on a main line as would appear to be the case in this photo.

That is of course , if that’s their intended purpose.

That’s what they were intended for. In that time (the line was opened in the 1880s), goods wagons had only 2 axles and a sufficiently short wheelbase to be turned that way, and transfered from one track to another by hand. No vacuum braking either, so it was very simple.

MaggieD:
Hi Froggy,

Regards
Richard

I would certainly enjoy meeting the four of you there (2 1/2 hours drive North from my house), but we’ll have to wait at least another year.

pete smith:

MaggieD:
Hi Froggy,

Regards
Richard

Good Morning Richard,
Nice little motor that, the cab design reminds me of the Dennis Pax from the 1950’s.
A yes regards La Locomotion event but young Whips will not be happy with you adding 20 years to his age, PV63!!

Here’s looking to a good catch up in 2022!
Best Regards Pete

That’s alright Pete, as I feel like PV23 most mornings when I have to get out of bed…

Nice motor Richard, it’s good to see some “fresh” faces at Locomotion, Pete’s going to join with his Albion, weren’t you Pete…? :wink:

Froggy55:

MaggieD:
Hi Froggy,

Regards
Richard

I would certainly enjoy meeting the four of you there (2 1/2 hours drive North from my house), but we’ll have to wait at least another year.

Likewise Paul, but as you say… we’ve all got to wait for another year…

Eddie Heaton:
0The more observant visitors to this forum may find this photograph familiar.

The reason for this being that this is its second appearance, as I posted it on the wreckers thread quite some time ago.
I don’t pretend to know what it is, as it’s common knowledge that I know jack sh*t about French motors,… and only fractionally more about British ones if it comes to that.

It may not even be a French motor,… I’ve only just considered that possibility actually,…but I daresay we’ll soon know, one way or the other.

The thing is, I find it strangely…well,…if not exactly beautiful,…then aesthetically pleasing, in a rugged ’ butch ’ kind of way.

Now for the seriously pedantic visitors amongst us, the photograph was taken near Seranon on the RN 85 on the quinzième août, mille neuf cent quatre vingt sept…I’m not too sure about the time as I’d been mugged in Cannes and had my Rolex Oyster stolen…plaisanterie.

Errr!, sorry about this, but following the time honoured tradition of leaving nothing alone for more than five minutes, the powers that be would appear to have re-designated the RN85 as the D6085 these days.

Apologies for that.

Le Philistine.

Looks like it’s based on American iron, could it be a Ward la France maybe? (what’s in a name by the way :wink: ) As the bonnet looks similar…?

Froggy55:
0Back to French road vehicles now with this 1952 Renault van, which has just been dragged out of the barn in which it had been resting for 40 years by my local garage owner who intends to refurbish it. In good condition, excepted for the engine, which is blocked.Lets’ hope he’ll go ahead with the idea!

There’s much more in that yard that needs to be rescued Paul!

Found some pic’s from your side of the Kingdom Senior :wink:

Does anyone know which make that lorry is…? As I can only make out "tracteurs PA…)

St. Pol de Leon