Saviem's fan club (Part 1)

Surely you recognise this spot Senior…? :wink:

harry_gill:
Hiya,
Was France ever in competion with the US of A to see who could produce the
ugliest road going lorries, both have produced some horrors over the ages,

Go steady there Harry, you’re venturing out onto thin ice there mate. If you’re not careful you’re going to end up with a handle like mine.

All the best pal.

Edouard le Philistine. ( also long retired).

The tractor ’ Le Coz et Mahé ’ is a F.A.R like this one from Walbaum. Mostly they had Panhard or Perkins engine, used for 'Rail-Route '.

pv83:
Just saw this in a classic motoring magazine, apparently these two Kaelble units were in a field in Persan (95), not sure if they’re still there though, but does anyone recognise them? Can’t imagine that there were a lot of French operators using Kaelble lorries…?

The livery does sort of look like the one De Rijke is using, and they’ve got a French depot too since '82, but they’ve only had Scania’s and DAF’s in the fleet far as I can tell.

Hey,

Have seen more Kaelble 's in France, but all only used for pull wagen or special work. The same in other contries only as pulling trains used.

Eric,

pv83:
Found some pic’s from your side of the Kingdom Senior :wink:

Does anyone know which make that lorry is…? As I can only make out "tracteurs PA…)

Not old enough to remember them… :unamused: , but thinking, Quimper to Paris, that would have some trip in those days with no autoroutes…had to be a good day and a half back then… lorient, Rennes, le Mans, Paris… it’s a good 7 hour trip with today’s wagons on motorways…

pv83:

Of course…we took you on a cruise across an ocean to get you there…did our best to lose you that day too… :smiling_imp:

pv83:
St. Pol de Leon

Still do the Cauliflowers today, huge swathes of them, plus Artichokes, it must be soil and the sea air that makes them so productive up there…its also got some spectacular coast line.

pv83:

The Hamon & fils lorry and trailer from SCAER, do you remember where we saw Pierre’s Saviem and we spoke to his sister ? about 2 doors down from her house was there yard where they use to service the lorries…they packed up at some point in the '80’s…small world.

pv83:

Froggy55:
0Back to French road vehicles now with this 1952 Renault van, which has just been dragged out of the barn in which it had been resting for 40 years by my local garage owner who intends to refurbish it. In good condition, excepted for the engine, which is blocked.Lets’ hope he’ll go ahead with the idea!

There’s much more in that yard that needs to be rescued Paul!

Not really! Most wrecks are either badly damaged following crashes, eaten by rust, or mechanically dead. Of course, our great-grandchildren will blame us for not having preserved a 2005 Renault Laguna Phase II, but… The only interesting one is a Panhard PL 17 (out of the framing) which has an aluminium body, but its ownerjust asked to park it there, and has no preservation plans.

pv83:

The Saurer is a tractor which is permanently linked to its semi-trailer; a Saurer idea the point of which I can’t understand. Three Breton pictures!

leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/19 … 4051296304

OwenMoney:
https://www.leboncoin.fr/utilitaires/1976601458.htm?ac=4051296304

Not so long ago, people would have paid to get rid of that kind of scrap metal; now, they’re getting valuable. The SUMB was a kind of French Unimog, powered by a very greedy prehistoric sidevalve Ford 100 bhp petrol V8.

Fergie47:

pv83:

The Hamon & fils lorry and trailer from SCAER, do you remember where we saw Pierre’s Saviem and we spoke to his sister ? about 2 doors down from her house was there yard where they use to service the lorries…they packed up at some point in the '80’s…small world.

Very nice little Saviem that was but Whips fell in love with that pink V8 Scania!

Fergie47:

pv83:
Found some pic’s from your side of the Kingdom Senior :wink:

Does anyone know which make that lorry is…? As I can only make out "tracteurs PA…)

Not old enough to remember them… :unamused: , but thinking, Quimper to Paris, that would have some trip in those days with no autoroutes…had to be a good day and a half back then… lorient, Rennes, le Mans, Paris… it’s a good 7 hour trip with today’s wagons on motorways…

pv83:

Of course…we took you on a cruise across an ocean to get you there…did our best to lose you that day too… :smiling_imp:

pv83:
St. Pol de Leon

Still do the Cauliflowers today, huge swathes of them, plus Artichokes, it must be soil and the sea air that makes them so productive up there…its also got some spectacular coast line.

Dave,
Was that the island we visited with the dancing dog or the boat trip across the harbour on the electric boat?

pete smith:
Very nice little Saviem that was but Whips fell in love with that pink V8 Scania!

He likes anything in pink Pierre, his favourite is an off the shoulder chiffon in dusky pink he nicked from Karen and one of Lizzie’ s matching handbags…thats just between us though, best not let anyone else know… :unamused:

pete smith:
Dave,
Was that the island we visited with the dancing dog or the boat trip across the harbour on the electric boat?

That was the “Ile-aux-moines” in the golfe du Morbihan…what a cracking day out…sadly, we can never go back… :wink:

Fergie47:

pete smith:
Dave,

That was the “Ile-aux-moines” in the golfe du Morbihan…what a cracking day out…sadly, we can never go back… :wink:

Just had a look on google maps and I think we ate in the Le San Francisco c/w with the elastic dog! I don’t know what was funnier the dog or Liz and Patrick with tears rolling down their cheeks.

This may be of intrest. :unamused:

Click on pages twice.

Most interesting indeed.

I personnaly drove daily a 1969 Unic P 200 similar to this one, back in the early’80s, fitted with the M 42 S engine shown on this brochure. One had to keep up in the revs to get power and there was very little torque compared to more conventional long-stroke engines of the same power range such as the 9.6 litres Berliet. Very noisy too. The gearbox was easy to use, with the “mushroom” (champignon) which operated the splitter. Clutch pedal was very had to press.

You chaps may find this intresting. :wink:

Leyland 1963.

Click on pages twice to read.